Kantar data on free U2 album consumption by Apple device users.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right.

So it was forced into everyone's iTunes account. They didn't have a choice. It will obviously skew the numbers up on that medium, as most people really didn't care as much to actually delete the album, leading to millions of accidental plays in various shuffle plays.

This is simply an assumption that these are skewed by various shuffle plays with no data to support it. I mean, maybe they helped. Just like the other artists on the list. Oh wait. Didn't think of that? Crap, there goes that argument.

Seems to me a much better way to judge the album's true reach would be to see how far it's permeated in mediums where it wasn't force fed, yes?

No? Oh, okay.

I don't know that I really look at this as a valid argument either. I guess it makes sense, but then again, U2 marketed the album to iTunes exclusively and did not market to the other channels as much, if at all. So if we're truly judging the marketing campaign, it was a success and the data shows it. U2 determined that the target market they wanted to reach was iPhone users, so they marketed their product to them, and the data supports that their target market still listened to the album a lot 4 months after the release. :shrug:

These statistics are highly suspect and even if true do not give an accurate representation of the actual success of this album. That's clear as day. In order to truly judge success we would need to see how many of these plays were purposeful vs random shuffle plays, and how often the songs are repeated, and how long they consider a "listen" to be. Without that information this data is incredibly incomplete.

I live in data in my career, so I'm all about extracting as much as possible, so I don't disagree with anything here. With that said, you can't just dismiss data as incomplete because you don't want to agree with it.

PS. I was going to do this with the rest of your post, but really the rest of it was simply a repeat of what you already stated.

You don't like the album, you didn't like the release method, and it's pretty clear that no matter what kind of positive data is released, you'll dismiss it.

If this is true (can you quote a source?) then I'm not sure this Kantar data is saying all that much. Other than 40 year old white dudes ambling to work in their SUVs like to listen to the odd U2 song on the radio (or on their Apple gizmo where it has been freely dispatched). Not particularly revelatory (nor the "relevance" U2 are probably seeking). When you start cherrypicking stats, you always run the risk of missing the forest for the trees #philosophy101

:lmao:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If this is true (can you quote a source?) then I'm not sure this Kantar data is saying all that much. Other than 40 year old white dudes ambling to work in their SUVs like to listen to the odd U2 song on the radio (or on their Apple gizmo where it has been freely dispatched). Not particularly revelatory (nor the "relevance" U2 are probably seeking). When you start cherrypicking stats, you always run the risk of missing the forest for the trees #philosophy101

I'm with you.

On a side note, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'm willing to sell for only $200....if you're interested, let me know!

:)

This is simply an assumption that these are skewed by various shuffle plays with no data to support it. I mean, maybe they helped. Just like the other artists on the list. Oh wait. Didn't think of that? Crap, there goes that argument.

Except that for the other artists to come up on shufle the user would have had to have purchased/downloaded the music on their own, not have it placed in their library without asking for it.

There's arguments for both sides of the coin here, but the data is what it is. There's a definite cause and effect from the release methodology all over here.

The release caused a backlash in the media (which I'm sure U2 had to expect), but it also introduced people to U2 who may not normally have any interest in them -- they reached audiences who didn't even know who they were, and thus the pretty major spike in back catalog (which I'm sure U2 had to expect).

The data suggests that twice as many people on iOS accessed a U2 song than Katy Perry or T-Swizzle. It should be expected since it was given to everybody's iTunes, but it's also mildly impressive that they're able to do that in 2015, regardless of how it happened. Does that mean each person accessing U2 in this survey likes Volcano? No, but they either listened to it or had the opportunity to listen to it because of the release method, when they normally wouldn't have bothered with U2. If people didn't access U2 songs from their iOS, then that would be pretty embarrassing.

Do they have a hit with this album? Not yet, and is it likely? No more or less likely than they were before the album launched. Less likely since Bono's accident, yeah. I still think with proper promotion Every Breaking Wave and/or California could make a dent somewhere. I don't think there's a timelimit with it. Songs take off way, way after their initial release lately, but they're not going to take off without U2 actually promoting them.

As for the charts, I do wonder how giving the album away affects them in this regard. Why go out and buy a song for $1.29 on iTunes or Googleplay or whatever when you already have it? It's sort of the anti-Vertigo -- had Billboard counted iTunes sales in fall '04, I'm pretty convinced Vertigo is a top 10 hit.

do we know which 14-year old girl killed Bono that day in Central Park? has she come forward? does she listen to the entire SOI track on her iTunes or does she skip over it?

Except that for the other artists to come up on shufle the user would have had to have purchased/downloaded the music on their own, not have it placed in their library without asking for it.

Point noted and respected as I don't feel like you have any true bias. My only argument here is that if your point truly is valid, I'd be surprised that it's still an issue 4 months after the surprise release, which I feel is more than enough time for people to decide if they still want the album on their phones.

Also, I don't know anyone who actually shuffles their entire music library. Normally if they shuffle, it's custom made playlists. I'm sure there are those out there with very small collections that may shuffle their entire library, but I doubt that it's a very high number.

do we know which 14-year old girl killed Bono that day in Central Park? has she come forward? does she listen to the entire SOI track on her iTunes or does she skip over it?

It was purely an accident. She was trying to delete SOI from her iphone while cycling and hit Bono. (Don't text and drive kids).

It was purely an accident. She was trying to delete SOI from her iphone while cycling and hit Bono. (Don't text and drive kids).

300.jpg

Point noted and respected as I don't feel like you have any true bias. My only argument here is that if your point truly is valid, I'd be surprised that it's still an issue 4 months after the surprise release, which I feel is more than enough time for people to decide if they still want the album on their phones.
Yeah but lets face it most of us are too lazy to delete something like that and then there's a percentage who wouldn't know how or even want to try to delete it no matter how simple Apple made it.

There's arguments for both sides of the coin here, but the data is what it is. There's a definite cause and effect from the release methodology all over here.

The release caused a backlash in the media (which I'm sure U2 had to expect), but it also introduced people to U2 who may not normally have any interest in them -- they reached audiences who didn't even know who they were, and thus the pretty major spike in back catalog (which I'm sure U2 had to expect).

The data suggests that twice as many people on iOS accessed a U2 song than Katy Perry or T-Swizzle. It should be expected since it was given to everybody's iTunes, but it's also mildly impressive that they're able to do that in 2015, regardless of how it happened. Does that mean each person accessing U2 in this survey likes Volcano? No, but they either listened to it or had the opportunity to listen to it because of the release method, when they normally wouldn't have bothered with U2. If people didn't access U2 songs from their iOS, then that would be pretty embarrassing.

Do they have a hit with this album? Not yet, and is it likely? No more or less likely than they were before the album launched. Less likely since Bono's accident, yeah. I still think with proper promotion Every Breaking Wave and/or California could make a dent somewhere. I don't think there's a timelimit with it. Songs take off way, way after their initial release lately, but they're not going to take off without U2 actually promoting them.

As for the charts, I do wonder how giving the album away affects them in this regard. Why go out and buy a song for $1.29 on iTunes or Googleplay or whatever when you already have it? It's sort of the anti-Vertigo -- had Billboard counted iTunes sales in fall '04, I'm pretty convinced Vertigo is a top 10 hit.

:up:

Good points all around.

Yeah but lets face it most of us are too lazy to delete something like that and then there's a percentage who wouldn't know how or even want to try to delete it no matter how simple Apple made it.

Makes me wonder if those people even know how to shuffle their music library, lol.

I want aware that the only people who used YouTube for music consumption were teen girls. Someone should let Google know. It appears their merging of their music app with YouTube may have been a major oversight on their part! Perhaps they should hire Kantar to help them with their demographic analysis!

This copout shouldn't even warrant a response. The music videos with the highest view counts are artists who have a largely female audience. In fact, it's been documented to show that the more zealous fangirls get into view count competitions to keep their view counts above the competition.

But hey, let's play dumb instead.

Har har, Moser, you think YouTube is only for girls. I will prove you wrong!

Touche, I guess. Here's a motivating meme since you seem to gravitate towards those.

eD16f8Y.gif

I don't really buy either point. Most people I know don't purchase their music, but rather torrent them by the truckload. I've been to too many parties to see the $1,000 iTunes libraries that some people seem to just have.

Secondly, if people are too lazy to delete something of their iTunes, then they're probably too lazy to dig through the menus to enable automatic download of purchases. More likely is SOI is being played from the cloud, and not from their personal storage.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who didn't want the album still didn't bother to delete it. It probably comes up in their shuffle now and then. Most people don't HATE U2's music as much as they hate Bono and think U2 are overrated and it pisses them off how big of a band they are.

Regardless if you think the band were successful or not, I think it's great news that they think they were. Maybe they won't get cold feet with SOE. That was one of my worries.

FWIW, I think it was a success. Yeah, lots of backlash, but I think in the end they got what they wanted out of it.

Yes, of course it will be.

But regardless, if U2's perception was that nobody cared and nobody wanted to hear them anymore, I doubt they'd be in a hurry to come out with another album anytime soon, and with the odds pretty unlikely about SOE happening in the next calendar year, it would all but kill any chance of another album in the near-future, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the 90+% stat only indicates that a single song from SOI might have been listened to, yes? So it's not like the suggestion is that all those 23% of people are listening to is SOI. I just don't know what's so hard to swallow about a band with thirty+ years of music showing up in people's music library more than someone with a quarter of that material.

Because the media screams their names, doesn't mean everyone is listening to them. It also doesn't mean they're not successful, or the numbers are skewed. I just think you're looking at a situation of quantity.

Yes, of course it will be.

But regardless, if U2's perception was that nobody cared and nobody wanted to hear them anymore, I doubt they'd be in a hurry to come out with another album anytime soon, and with the odds pretty unlikely about SOE happening in the next calendar year, it would all but kill any chance of another album in the near-future, I think.

That brings up a very good point. If the band takes this as a sign that they're relevant, their hunger for the follow up is much more likely.

As it only takes one play to register in the data, we could be squabbling over 225 U2 plays here (or 214 SOI plays) across 978 people. The percentage is massive on paper, but we know U2 is a unique case; they are the only artist in the study to give a free album to everyone.

I would love to think that the population of iOS users are listening to U2's back catalog, but when 95% of them have heard a song from their free album (which may or may not have been unwittingly left in the 225 devices in question, we don't know) and all it takes is one play to count as a "U2 listener"...well, suffice it to say I'm not ready to proclaim that U2 is more relevant to iOS users than Taylor Swift and Katy Perry combined.

Wake me up when there's a list of total plays from each artist throughout the month of January 2015. If U2 is in the same position, then I'll be convinced. As far as measuring popularity, this study is about as useful as the "SOI was 'experienced' by 849384247085045048540540 people" study from September.

Last edited:
Is there a Pitchfork article about it yet? (Somewhere between Kanye West article #1 and Kanye West article #350)

Back
Top Bottom