Kantar data on free U2 album consumption by Apple device users.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That doesn't clear up the info itself, though.

I kind of think it does. I mean, if it truly is a random sampling, not hand-picked, and it's objective, not numbers from Apple or U2 management. It shows that the numbers are at least to be trusted.

Aside from that, can we PLEASE put to rest a myth that seems to have popped up from the hyperbolic hipster shitstorm that occurred after U2's release. For whatever reason, people started saying, "when i was listening to my music on shuffle it just popped up" and I instantly lost control of all bodily functions and shit myself... blah, blah, blah...

Who puts their whole LIBRARY on shuffle?!?! Either you have a laughably small itunes library, which makes your music critique useless anyway, or you have no idea how to make playlists, which also renders your comments useless, or you are just making shit up to sound like you have been "raped by U2"

Rant over. thanks

Who puts their whole LIBRARY on shuffle?!?! Either you have a laughably small itunes library, which makes your music critique useless anyway, or you have no idea how to make playlists, which also renders your comments useless, or you are just making shit up to sound like you have been "raped by U2"

Rant over. thanks

I put my whole library on shuffle all the time.

Sometimes I don't feel like listening to some specific artist or genre and just want some general variety. I like everything in my library so it's not like I end up hearing a bunch of shit. I usually do a fair bit of skipping if a song comes up that I don't feel like listening to at that moment but overall I get to hear all my music that way. If I select specific playlists/artists there ends up being a lot of music I rarely think deliberately to listen to, but will listen and enjoy when it pops up in shuffle. :shrug:

And yes, I know how to make playlists (and have many of them), and I have >5000 songs in my iTunes. I am not making any of this shit up.

One thing that I am not sure has been touched on in this thread is that nearly 6 months from the release date, how many listeners who were truly outraged by receiving this album are still going to have it in their library? I think most people can probably be put into one of these categories:

1) U2 fans
2) not U2 fans but willing to give it a listen
3) people who are indifferent
4) those who were annoyed by receiving SoI
5) those who fly into a blinding rage at the thought of such utter shit besmirching their iTunes library

-I'm willing to guess that U2 were targeting the first three groups. Maybe some of the milder cases in group 4.
-I'm also willing to guess that most people from group 5 would have found a way to remove it by now. Otherwise, how much of a dumbass would you have to be to basically leave something on there that made you have tantrum like a petulant toddler every time it randomly played.
-Less, but probably still a decent percentage of those from group 4 would have removed it by now, too.

If it were only a month after the release, I would buy the argument that a lot of these could have been mistake listens, but not now. No doubt some were, but I'm thinking its a lot less than some of you think.

:lol:I love this comment :heart:

I kind of think it does. I mean, if it truly is a random sampling, not hand-picked, and it's objective, not numbers from Apple or U2 management. It shows that the numbers are at least to be trusted.

Aside from that, can we PLEASE put to rest a myth that seems to have popped up from the hyperbolic hipster shitstorm that occurred after U2's release. For whatever reason, people started saying, "when i was listening to my music on shuffle it just popped up" and I instantly lost control of all bodily functions and shit myself... blah, blah, blah...

Rant over. thanks

That was perfect for a very cathartic laugh!

Rant over. thanks

Who doesn't? Why bother making playlists when you have an entire libraryas a playlist? :shrug: I have a library full of music I like, and some days I prefer one genre to another. It's always on shuffle. So I occasionally skip a track, but I have absolutely no time or will to make playlists for my two hour commute every day.

I have over 10,000 songs on my iPod, and if I'm not in the mood for something specific (which is very often), I let it play on shuffle.

wow that's a lot! :lol: My ipod is absolutely stuffed and it has about 4000 songs on it. I think in total my library is about 5k, though I can't check it as I lost all the files for U2 live gigs. They're still on my ipod so I can't be arsed to download them all again. Don't really listen to music on my laptop anyway.

Guess I'm a goddamn hipster then. :grumpy:

If there's anything in your library besides U2 and bands that have opened for U2, you're a fucking hipster.

Looking at my iTunes statistics, I have 15,546 songs on my 160gb iPod, of which 1,348 are by U2 (including live albums, rarities, B-sides, bootlegs etc. but not compilations) making them by far the most represented artist in my collection. A good number of those 15K "songs", however, aren't suitable for shuffling as I have a lot of classical, ambient, and orchestral soundtracks on there.

Sadly, I probably listen to only a small fraction of the music on my iPod with any kind of regularity.

Yeah, I have to make a point of listening to stuff that I normally don't listen to once in a while, and do a relatively decent job of "cleaning" it up throughout the year.

In the car or at work, I'm usually doing the shuffle thing. At home, I'll listen to CDs.

Looking at my iTunes statistics, I have 15,546 songs on my 160gb iPod, of which 1,348 are by U2 (including bootlegs & compilations). A good number of those 15K "songs", however, aren't suitable for shuffling as I have a lot of classical, ambient, and orchestral soundtracks on there.

Sadly, I probably listen to only a small fraction of the music on my iPod with any kind of regularity.

You need a cathartic laugh to help with your regularity.

Yeah, I have to make a point of listening to stuff that I normally don't listen to once in a while, and do a relatively decent job of "cleaning" it up throughout the year.

In the car or at work, I'm usually doing the shuffle thing. At home, I'll listen to CDs.

I've been forced to go to all playlists on my 160 GB iPod Classic because my iTunes library has exceeded its capacity. I do have some smart playlists such as albums released in 2014, songs added in the past two months, etc.; and I will play those on shuffle.

I've been forced to go to all playlists on my 160 GB iPod Classic

I have the same Classic, and I've often considered selling it. They are fetching a fair price on eBay these days since the whole line was discontinued, but I can't bring myself to do it. There's just something so elegant about the original iPod...though admittedly even though I'm using up almost all the space on it, I could easily get away with a 32 or 64 gb touch for the amount of music I actually listen to.

You need a cathartic laugh to help with your regularity.

That's what I come here for.

The battery on my last model was on its way out, and I was holding out on buying a new one. A friend of mine piped up on Facebook said that she had a barely-used 160 GB that she was selling for $125.

So that worked out well. I'm not going to let myself think about what I'll do when the battery finally starts petering out on this one.

(I'm sure by then there will be umpteen other MP3 players as lovely as the iPod classic.)

Shit. Double hipster. :grumpy:

I think about 30-40% of all my music is U2. Including all the live tours and such.

Thinking about it, I'd say that's a pretty accurate estimate! U2 is one of my favorite bands and I've seen them live a few times. They always put on an amazing show.

Back
Top Bottom