Just a rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue screen

The Fly
I don't post often, however I'm as diehard as they come. Have been to every tour since ZooTV, first heard them in 1980 and been a fan ever since, own every album (notice own, not downloaded ilegally), have all their DVDs, have even met them (talked to Bono for about 10 minutes, small talk, but hey I shook the guy's hand!), have had very single girlfriend become diehard fans, etc.

However, with all this waiting for a leak, I feel something is just not right with U2 in 2009. I can't for the life of me understand why they are still tied up to a record label. This is a band that's been around for 33 years, won more Grammys than any other rock band, have done the greatest tour ever by a rock band (ZooTV), and is STILL somehow extremely relevant when it's band members are in their very late forties, and yet, with all this greatness, and trying to stay ahead of the mainstream and all, why would they resort to having a record label release their album?

I love Radiohead and Trent Reznor, and became an even bigger admirer when last year they had the balls to release their albums the way they did. Radiohead has been around half the time as U2 and don't have nearly the fortune U2 has, and yet there was no fanfare, no anticipation, no changing release dates, one day their new album was there, and you paid whatever you wanted for it. Trent Reznor did almost the same thing but went one step ahead, again, no fanfare, no big promotion, no huge anticipation, released Ghosts for $5 and then one day just gave away The Slip for FREE.

Both acts went on tour and did extremely well, knowing full well that if you want the money, you need to tour (and this is pretty much how it's been for years; the record companies are the ones who benefit the most financially on album/single sales), and for people to come to your shows, you need to get the music out there, because like it or not, many will illegally get hold of your work.

So I'm guessing and hoping that U2 sticking to a record label to handle the release of their work is not an act of wanting more money. I'm guessing it's more an ego thing. Getting the title of "saving" the music industry in 2009, might mean a lot to Bono (God knows he has a savior complex), and the only way to do that is by selling a lot of albums, hence the tie up to Universal.

This pisses me off for some reason...I mean I will of course buy the album, and by the reviews I've seen, probably love it, and go and catch a few shows, but shouldn't we expect a band of this stature to actually try and find new and innovative ways of dealing with the changes in the record industry?

I really don't care if the album leaks or not..time goes by very quickly, and pretty soon I'll be able to buy it and listen to it for as long as I live. I just feel that this band that has gone through so many fases, and has consistently stayed relevant musically, and has given us so much artistically,
that they would welcome with open arms another way of delivering their material to the fans in this rapidly changing era of media delivery.

Hate me, flame me, but this is how I feel...maybe a smarter mind can give me a better insight.

Thanks for the read.

the reason why those two acts you mentioned can do it that way is because, while they have a solid core following, they are not close to the mass appeal and popularity of u2.

it's not an insult to them... pearl jam has done similar things, and i'm a huge pearl jam fan. but pearl jam's not u2. u2 is too big to go the "indie" route.

It's pretty obvious that artists like Trent Reznor are much more passionate about their music than their money. Heck, he released a free album as a thank you to the fans. Sometimes I feel like U2 wouldn't be making music if they couldn't be huge stars.

I still love their music, but I feel like that either way.

I have a rant too. Not totally related but somewhat related.

The idea that music has to be commercially unsuccessful or not promoted to be artistically good or embraced by critics is bollocks and its this idea that has killed rock music. The bands that make good accessible music get crucified by critics for making stadium ready rock. The bands that make songs that no one gives a shit for get praise and then people wonder why rock is dying.

U2 signed a record contract. Big deal. Why is this in the new album forum?

The idea that music has to be commercially unsuccessful or not promoted to be artistically good or embraced by critics is bollocks and its this idea that has killed rock music. The bands that make good accessible music get crucified by critics for making stadium ready rock. The bands that make songs that no one gives a shit for get praise and then people wonder why rock is dying.

:up:

well said.

the reason why those two acts you mentioned can do it that way is because, while they have a solid core following, they are not close to the mass appeal and popularity of u2.

it's not an insult to them... pearl jam has done similar things, and i'm a huge pearl jam fan. but pearl jam's not u2. u2 is too big to go the "indie" route.

Maybe you're right, however, I just feel, and of course it's my opinion, that exactly because they are so big, they have the freedom to do something as bold as that..I sincerely believe it would add to their credibility.

:up: A thousand times :up:

You're totally right!.... I think that probably is Paul McGuinness which has a great influence over the band which leaded them to this approach... (I bag pardon for my poor english! :)

I can't for the life of me understand why they are still tied up to a record label.

...maybe a smarter mind can give me a better insight.

Here's you answer:

Because it works for them.

There you go. :)

read the Q interview with Bono, he was asked why dont they pull a Radiohead...

My rant:

Please refrain from discussing or engaging in any inter-office [bleep] and finger
[bleep] and [long bleep] or even [bleep], even though so many of us are *begging* for it. Oh, and if anyone lays a finger on my sister Lindsay, I'll take off my pants, I'll show you my [bleep] and I'll personally [long bleep].

I agree with you completely...I know that by promoting their work this way, they are actually putting themselves up for a huge flop if the music isn't any good, and that also takes some balls. I just feel that since they are so big, that releasing their new album differently, would not really hurt them that much, since everyone would still ultimately focus on their music, and their popularity would spark more curiousity.

BTW, I do not mean to offend anyone, or disrespect their love for the band, just trying to get some insight from other fans on the subject, that's all.

Wow, great point! As long as the music and songwriting is good, what does it matter how popular or critically acclaimed it is? More indie or obscure doesn't automatically mean higher quality! :huh:

My rant:

Please refrain from discussing or engaging in any inter-office [bleep] and finger
[bleep] and [long bleep] or even [bleep], even though so many of us are *begging* for it. Oh, and if anyone lays a finger on my sister Lindsay, I'll take off my pants, I'll show you my [bleep] and I'll personally [long bleep].

yeah, like the guy in the $3,000 suit is gonna listen to you, COME ON!

:up::up:

Not all critics do that... but there will always be those mofos at Pitchfocker

I've been on the brink of writing something similar for a few days now...bravo to you for clearing the path a bit.:applaud:

It's not so much that U2 remains tied to a record company that bothers me, it's how freaking outdated the overall model is. Way back in the day, it took significant time to physically take the master tapes from the studio to the manufacturing plant, press the vinyl, package it all up, and send it out to stores...all done with no computers, no internet, no fax machines, and a phone system that still required a bit of thought to use. And so record companies, knowing the timeline, built their promotional plans around it to take advantage of it. A single pressed early and given to radio stations--the only way that anyone heard new music, or music news, back then--with suitable hype building while the damn discs were being made and shipped.

But that's not the world we live in anymore.

Things that don't bug me about the process:

- The band wanting to make some money
- The label wanting to make some money
- How cool an actual CD is, especially the deluxe version that I've already pre-ordered
- Properly promoting the album prior to its release so it sells big and everyone loves U2

Things that do bug me:

- The album is done. Like, right now. It's finished. And the distribution system exists that, if U2/Universal wanted to, we could all be listening to the album within 1 hour from this very second. Millions of people could be listening to the finished product right freaking now if the label (and, by their silence and unwillingness to push for a change in the process, U2) weren't tied to a model of distribution that's over half a century old. The current model of promotion and distribution was created when "Duck and cover" was a leading meme.

I don't want the album to "leak" because I don't want to pay for it; it's already pre-ordered ($80US), I'll buy all the singles ($40-ish US), and see them multiple times on tour ($waytoofuckingmuchbutworthit-ish).
I don't want the album to "leak" because I'm a kid who likes free stuff and sticking it to the man/RIAA/etc.
I don't actually want the album to "leak" at all, really...I just want to listen to it. I want my favorite--supposedly progressive/technologically-minded--band to pay at least a little attention to how the world works now, how it will be working in the next 5-10 years, and try to get a bit ahead of the curve.
I don't want my favorite band to act like they have the same level of technological understanding as my freaking grandmother.

I wouldn't expect this sort of thinking from a label...I just was expecting U2 to be pushing a bit more, and not acting like just another 4-piece ho in the label's pimphouse, willing to go along with whatever the boss says.

Though, Sebastian's been in charge of u2.com since the beginning, on their call, so it's not like I don't know that all their "new media" talk has been 90% hot air from the start, but it's never been so front and center for me like it is now.

U2 has a new album coming out???????

When the hell did this happen????????

*checks fax machine*

nothing.

It's pretty obvious that artists like Trent Reznor are much more passionate about their music than their money. Heck, he released a free album as a thank you to the fans. Sometimes I feel like U2 wouldn't be making music if they couldn't be huge stars.

One of the most honest, insightful and heartfelt posts I've read here. I don't agree though.

Maybe you're right, however, I just feel, and of course it's my opinion, that exactly because they are so big, they have the freedom to do something as bold as that..I sincerely believe it would add to their credibility.

radiohead and trent reznor really aren't as big as their hardcore fans like to think they are.

I've been on the brink of writing something similar for a few days now...bravo to you for clearing the path a bit.:applaud:

It's not so much that U2 remains tied to a record company that bothers me, it's how freaking outdated the overall model is. Way back in the day, it took significant time to physically take the master tapes from the studio to the manufacturing plant, press the vinyl, package it all up, and send it out to stores...all done with no computers, no internet, no fax machines, and a phone system that still required a bit of thought to use. And so record companies, knowing the timeline, built their promotional plans around it to take advantage of it. A single pressed early and given to radio stations--the only way that anyone heard new music, or music news, back then--with suitable hype building while the damn discs were being made and shipped.

But that's not the world we live in anymore.

Things that don't bug me about the process:

- The band wanting to make some money
- The label wanting to make some money
- How cool an actual CD is, especially the deluxe version that I've already pre-ordered
- Properly promoting the album prior to its release so it sells big and everyone loves U2

Things that do bug me:

- The album is done. Like, right now. It's finished. And the distribution system exists that, if U2/Universal wanted to, we could all be listening to the album within 1 hour from this very second. Millions of people could be listening to the finished product right freaking now if the label (and, by their silence and unwillingness to push for a change in the process, U2) weren't tied to a model of distribution that's over half a century old. The current model of promotion and distribution was created when "Duck and cover" was a leading meme.

I don't want the album to "leak" because I don't want to pay for it; it's already pre-ordered ($80US), I'll buy all the singles ($40-ish US), and see them multiple times on tour ($waytoofuckingmuchbutworthit-ish).
I don't want the album to "leak" because I'm a kid who likes free stuff and sticking it to the man/RIAA/etc.
I don't actually want the album to "leak" at all, really...I just want to listen to it. I want my favorite--supposedly progressive/technologically-minded--band to pay at least a little attention to how the world works now, how it will be working in the next 5-10 years, and try to get a bit ahead of the curve.
I don't want my favorite band to act like they have the same level of technological understanding as my freaking grandmother.

I wouldn't expect this sort of thinking from a label...I just was expecting U2 to be pushing a bit more, and not acting like just another 4-piece ho in the label's pimphouse, willing to go along with whatever the boss says.

Though, Sebastian's been in charge of u2.com since the beginning, on their call, so it's not like I don't know that all their "new media" talk has been 90% hot air from the start, but it's never been so front and center for me like it is now.

Another great post. This thread gets a five :applaud:

They are very, very big.

Agreed. Pretty much musical heavyweights.

Why can't The 2 just release it on u2.com this evening?!?!?!?!?!

Whats the point in going through the charade of releasing it in Japan first so that it ends up all over the internet before the actual release anyway?:doh:

There are other considerations that go along with album release dates which no one is considering.

Yes, they could have physically gotten the CDs to us a month or more ago. But PERHAPS they wanted to coincide the release with a week on Letterman? With all of the promo appearances? Maybe there were things going on in their lives which precluded their being active participants in a blitz 4 weeks ago, which won't be the case anymore once March rolls around?

They don't just want to quietly release an album and hope a few people dig it. They want to be active and big participants in the artistic forward motion of humanity! They want the maximum number of people to get what they're saying and be affected by it. Yes, they like fame. Yes, they like money, but I think they're doing more than that. They're involved in the debate over who we are and what we should all do next. They need to scream from the rooftops if they want their points to really sink in and have their day in court. maybe women are the future and hold the big revelations? Maybe we shouldn't be concentrating on war after war, but instead wearing our sexy boots and listening to women? But if they can't get the millions to listen, how will they talk anyone into all of that???

Interesting you say that about U2, because it's the exact opposite of what Eno says in the Observer article/interview.

And Eno and U2 have not always been nice to each other in the press.

Maybe not reznor as much but Radiohead is as big as they come.
U2 is just a monster. Everyone want's a piece of the money pie.

But The 2 don't have to bake the pie.

I suppose there is still a market for delux editions which The 2's wealthy (older) fan base can afford. Delux editions are hardly punk rock Bono!

Back
Top Bottom