Joe O'Heirley told me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well duh, of course it's going to be 2008 now. :sigh:

Hey xavi, here's another bomb: the sun will rise tomorrow morning. :shocked: :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

51968898_2fd1e661d8_m.jpg

coach said:
he said word around the U2 camp is an album late 2008 with a tour in 2009

Thank you for asking – and sharing your info. But to tell you the truth: It is no surprise at all, just the kind of "official" confirmation for the "2008 autumn/winter album release, followed by a tour in 2009 scenario", that the serious guys here in this forum (including myself) always guessed about.

Rich79 said:
You'd think a band in the later half of their career would be anxious to put out as much material as they could before they decide to hang it up, but no. I guess it all goes with taking every precaution to stay 'relevant'.

I know. Age (read: health, in particular the vocals and certain member's wrist problem) and the increasing tensions between Bono and the rest of the band over his activism and thus lack of studio time would probably prompt most other bands to work faster. Considering the current desire to be relevant with the younger audiences, you'd think that would be another push to work faster.

I don't care if it's out in Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. But when they say "we have 5,6 songs we're excited" in December of 2006 and "we recorded 10 songs in 2 weeks" now in Fez and when you have the guitar player saying "could be 2, 3 records worth of material" - don't tell me they couldn't pack this one out in 2007.

Rich79 said:
You'd think a band in the later half of their career would be anxious to put out as much material as they could before they decide to hang it up, but no. I guess it all goes with taking every precaution to stay 'relevant'.

How many bands do you know start to put out more material when they get older, have families, illnesses, etc? :huh:

I was just saying, it seems more logical to want to get out as much music as you could before the ride is over, but it never ever goes that way. That's all I was saying. I don't really know any bands that have gotten more productive over their lifetimes.

They could put out albums every 2 years if they didn't tour. Most bands don't have to make a year and a half out of a tour. If U2 toured every year (like Dave Matthews Band), demand to see them would drop. By touring and releasing an album every 4 years, this gives the general public a chance to miss U2, and then when they come back with another album, everybody is happier to have them back because they've been away awhile. That is one of the reasons they don't release/tour as often.

Also, they have the luxury of never having to work again. None of them ever have to lift a finger for the rest of their lives and they'll still make more money than most of us will ever see. Therefore they are able to relax, work at their own pace, enjoy life and spend time with friends and family.

For a relative example, take somebody like my uncle. He started working at his job 25 years ago. He was working shitty hours, doing shitty work, and all that lead to was more work. But now he has stuck around and worked his way up. Now he has a nice job, makes lots of money, and doesn't have to put up with the shit he did 25 years ago. It's kinda like that for U2.

Its hard to believe in Nov. 2008 it will be 4 years since HTDAAB!!!

Anyone else feel patience is the 1st priority being U2 fan.

zoopop said:
Its hard to believe in Nov. 2008 it will be 4 years since HTDAAB!!!

Anyone else feel patience is the 1st priority being U2 fan.

My last years were:

Patience for the album, patience for the tour announcement, patience for the "pre-sale", patience for the tickets, patience for the south american tour announcement, patience for the south american tickets...

On the other hand U218 was a (bad) surprise last year. I think none of us were expecting that.

This isn't much different than waiting 4 years for the Chili Peppers from By the Way to Stadium Arcadium, or Radiohead from Hail to the Thief to LP7.

As a society, we're able to get more music from so many sources nowadays to not be fixated on the next U2 release. I think it's crazy for someone to listen to just one band, but that's just me.

I can't listen to U2 all the time, or I get sick of it, like eating those chocolate covered ice cream bon bons at Trader Joe's. But a sample once in a while is delicious.

LemonMacPhisto said:
This isn't much different than waiting 4 years for the Chili Peppers from By the Way to Stadium Arcadium, or Radiohead from Hail to the Thief to LP7.

As a society, we're able to get more music from so many sources nowadays to not be fixated on the next U2 release. I think it's crazy for someone to listen to just one band, but that's just me.

I completly agree. There are many other great bands out there. I'm just tired of U2 (Bono mostly) after every tour "Were on fire, want to get back in the studio ASAP, we have material for another album", and here we are again 4 years later.

zoopop said:

I completly agree. There are many other great bands out there. I'm just tired of U2 (Bono mostly) after every tour "Were on fire, want to get back in the studio ASAP, we have material for another album", and here we are again 4 years later.
they are "in the studio"? its not as if bono is lying, there are pictures to prove it?

zoopop said:

Well, the tour ended December of last year. 5 months later they were back in the studio. :shrug:

Re: Re: Joe O'Heirley told me...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Thank you for asking – and sharing your info. But to tell you the truth: It is no surprise at all, just the kind of "official" confirmation for the "2008 autumn/winter album release, followed by a tour in 2009 scenario", that the serious guys here in this forum (including myself) always guessed about.

I was aware of these predictions, me being quite sure about them myself. It's just nice to here it from someone from the U2 camp.

Oh, come on, even U2 wouldn't want us to listen to only them. The Edge is always talking about new artists, and they're all very supportive of their brother and sister rock stars.

silvrlvr said:
Oh, come on, even U2 wouldn't want us to listen to only them. The Edge is always talking about new artists, and they're all very supportive of their brother and sister rock stars.

Um, it was sarcasm...

LemonMelon said:
There are enough great releases this year to keep us busy anyway...

The Shins
Wilco
Paul McCartney
White Stripes
Ryan Adams
Coldplay

:up:

Meh. I can confirm that the first four aren't great. I'm not too ecstatic about the other two. :|

Back
Top Bottom