Jimmy Iovine says album needed 2 more songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel U2 had to close with Grace because it brings back hope, that's a patternon the last two albums.
I don't know which other song would have been better as a last track. I can see why they wanted a more uplifting tune in the end, so the album doesn't end on a bitter or at least ambivalent note.

I would have preferred Levitate. It gets closer to the pop album they were going for, it's the link between Pop and ATYCLB and the album ends on a high note. If I'm not mistaken Bono wanted to add it on All that...

U2 seem to be fond of the 11 tracks album. They've done it again. This is the third one in a row.

"HOW_THE_NEW_U2_ALBUM_IS_SHAPING_UP_SO_FAR."

As always, magazine articles are almost always painfully out of date by the time anyone gets a chance to read them. Also, unless each song is 6-7 minutes, 11 songs would not add up to a "very long" album.

The chance a U2 album has more than 12 songs is almost NIHIL.

I even hope they won't put more than 12 songs on it... they never even succeeded to put 12 very good songs on 1 album. So every extra song is one more risk of being a 'bad' song.

I even hope they won't put more than 12 songs on it... they never even succeeded to put 12 very good songs on 1 album. So every extra song is one more risk of being a 'bad' song.

I mostly agree, although I would be down for 12 + some instrumentals.

All the indications seem to be that the source material for this Q article was from some months ago. It's very possible that the "2 more songs" happened since that time, and we could be getting a 13 song album.

they never even succeeded to put 12 very good songs on 1 album.

That's a matter of opinion. EVERY song U2 has ever released has fans and haters.

Grace is the ONLY song U2 have recorded that I haven't got on my ipod. I really hate it. It's boring and unnecessary. But others love it - and I respect their opinion. My favourite song on The Unforgettable Fire is Elvis Presley and America. It's so raw and passionate. Other people absolutely hate it - but hopefully they respect my opinion.

U2 wouldn't have released Achtung Baby if they didn't think they had 12 very good songs (and I agree fow what it's worth). And if NLOTH has 15 songs on it - we know at least 4 people believe it has 15 very good songs. Even if you and I disagree.

I don't really know if I can agree with this logic because I think it should be more about the entire album of songs as a collective statement as opposed to 12 great individual songs. I think thats why HTDAAB didn't work as an album. There were a lot of solid songs on it, but collectively they didn't really work together well as a whole IMO. Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree have a bunch of great songs on them but they all work together as great albums. Thats why I keep playing them in their entirety over and over again.

I would much rather have them release a great ALBUM no matter what the quantity of songs was as opposed to a bunch of very good individual songs. I know thats very "old fashioned" for me to say, but I still believe in the dying art of putting out great albums as opposed to a bunch of great songs. Know what I mean?

Agreed. An ALBUM is what we need. HTDAAB required the amputation of Miracle Drug, Crumbs (they were too Matchbox 20) and inclusion of Fast Cars to make it an Album. Although a lot of you guys didnt like AMAAW (i didnt mind the Sade qualities of the song - but i agree it needed work) and OSC (its message was a theme that was throughout the rest of the album so it had to stay.).That may have been a better mix. My opinion though.

^I don't agree at all (HTDAAB is almost perfect to me)
But LOL on the Matchbox 20 commentary :D

In all honest, I would much rather get a 15+ tracks album even if it just brings outtakes. At least I'll have the good audio quality versions of them instead of weeding through all the crappy ones online. I'd much rather get those extra tracks straight from them.

Alas, probability is not on my side...

If U2 make a Matchbox 20 album they should definately retire but I dont think that is going to happen especially with Eno being the producer. Rubin producing would have had a better chance of that happening. (Although I would still like to hear the Rubin material), I am sure Window In The Skies wasnt the best thing to come out of those sessions.

Even if Bono was continously drunk and on illegal substances and Edge literally kept on burning himself U2 would never make such a bad album as Matchbox Twenty would. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom