Jazz - a genre still not explored well by U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
The closest they got to it was the MDH soundtrack, right? And maybe the trumpet work in Red Light and Surrender... if you want to stretch it! But an album full of laid back and sometimes rocking jazzy tunes will be a refreshing change, in my opinion. So what if the songs don't translate well live? They can always play the past classics live!

well... except that they kinda covered blues already with R&H.

..and I would love it if they re-discovered instrumentals! :love:

^yes that's my point...this time edge could actually play the blues, if angel of harlem was as bluesy as they got then they've got a lot more to do :wink:

anyway, I'd love for them to do blues instrumentals, Edge could actually solo a little...I just don't see them doing jazz stuff. that would mean they'd have to bring people on the road (fine with me...but I don't see it happening)

it'd be cool to hear some jazzy U2, but they're not really accomplished enough musicians are they? I mean, jazz is based around improvisation, something our boys have never excelled at.
i fear it would come across a sort of jazz-lite.

what about reggae? :wink:

Jazz would be interesting to hear U2 have a shot at, but it's just not really one of my favourite genres. :shrug:

What I'd REALLY like, is if they invented a completely new genre! :hyper::combust:

Dorian Gray said:
it'd be cool to hear some jazzy U2, but they're not really accomplished enough musicians are they?

I don't know if "accomplished" is the right word.

I don't think U2 could pull off true jazz, in the same manner I don't think jazz musicians can pull off U2.

Lemonfix said:

(Turns on the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress :drool: )

True. I think if they explored songs like this or Two Shots, it would be interesting.

Meghan said:

What I'd REALLY like, is if they invented a completely new genre! :hyper::combust:

I think U2 has already done that. I think U2 are a genre. :wink:

But yeah, if their next album was a totally new genre, that'd be pretty sweet.

I think U2 inspired by jazz could be interesting. U2 will never do straight-up jazz just like they never did straight-up techno (though Mofo was pretty fuckin' close). It will always be U2-ized and that's a good thing.

I'd love to hear a jazzy, big band album worth of songs. That would certainly be interesting to hear from the group. Give it a lil' of the "U2 touch" and see how everything plays out.

I can't say I'd be all too keen on a jazzy album myself.

I imagine I'm in one of the tiniest minorities here, but I'd die of joy if U2 made an album influenced by progressive and psychedelic rock. Think Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension Experiment.

I really just want to hear Edge shred. Lovetown Desire simply isn't enough.

Axver said:
I can't say I'd be all too keen on a jazzy album myself.

I imagine I'm in one of the tiniest minorities here, but I'd die of joy if U2 made an album influenced by progressive and psychedelic rock. Think Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension Experiment.

I really just want to hear Edge shred. Lovetown Desire simply isn't enough.

I’d love it if Edge went off to create some superbly conceived soundscapes with Petrucci (he needs more side projects) weaving his way around and through them.

Now that would be a great album or wouldn’t it be Ax?

I'll take a U2 jazz album under the name of the Passengers or some other fake name, but I'm not sure if I'd want it under U2---even though I'd know it's the same guys.

ZeroDude said:

I’d love it if Edge went off to create some superbly conceived soundscapes with Petrucci (he needs more side projects) weaving his way around and through them.

Now that would be a great album or wouldn’t it be Ax?

Oh man! :drool:

Combining Edge's atmospheric sensibilities with Petrucci's virtuoso abilities could create some of the greatest music known to man.

Axver said:

Oh man! :drool:

Combining Edge's atmospheric sensibilities with Petrucci's virtuoso abilities could create some of the greatest music known to man.

And of course I can’t help but agree with you. I’ve always wanted Edge to play with one of the more tasteful virtuosos such as Petrucci as I’m of the opinion they would compliment each other greatly.

They could create the greatest guitar album ever.
:wink:

ZeroDude said:

And of course I can’t help but agree with you. I’ve always wanted Edge to play with one of the more tasteful virtuosos such as Petrucci as I’m of the opinion they would compliment each other greatly.

They could create the greatest guitar album ever.
:wink:

The way I see it, Edge would create the canvas and Petrucci would go to work with the paints. A perfect complement.

And Petrucci certainly knows a thing or two about atmosphere. I must say I love some of the impromptu stuff he creates on the An Evening With John Petrucci And Jordan Rudess live album.

A band that can't even change more than a few songs per setlist for fear of fuck-ups, is going to play jazz??

There is an equal chance they will make a death metal album.

Trying to play jazz would make Larry and Adam's head explode.

Hopefully they will stay away from tiresome proggy tendencies..I have no desire for laughable 5-minute guitar solos and plodding rhythms. ;)

Lemonfix said:
Bono was born to be a jazz singer....

(Turns on the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress :drool: )

that's quite true

but like someone else already said: "Trying to play jazz would make Larry and Adam's head explode."

jazz is too complex, tell me about it, I played jazz (well, or tried to...) a year or so and it's the most difficult thing ever

Sleep Over Jack said:
I have no desire for laughable 5-minute guitar solos

Yeah, guys who can play better than Edge are laughable. Let's just slag them off with ignorant, stereotypical insults instead of acknowledging their virtuoso talent! :|

I won't even address the negative posts regarding the genre of jazz music, only to say you're ignorant.

U2 playing jazz? that would mean you'd have to have an understanding of jazz theory and harmony, as well as actual experience playing the music. which of course u2 has none of.

zoot: nice idea, but sometimes ideas are best left as only that.

Back
Top Bottom