It's ONLY about the Grammys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
U2's success since 2000 has been about one thing: how they do at the Grammys.

NLOTH has already been far better received than ATYCLB was when it was first released. Beautiful Day was NOT a radio success at all until AFTER it won the 3 grammys. Few were playing it on the radio until that point. Then the album rose, the song became popular, and U2 was able to call it a huge "comeback success". This despite the fact that every single after Beautiful Day failed to do what they hoped it would do.

HTDAAB had a bit first single with Vertigo. But subsequent singles also failed quite a bit to live up to the hype. Again, the Grammys were U2's saving grace with this album as well. I don't think it ever deserved to win Album of the Year, but it did, and when that happens, the album sells big time.

I wouldn't write NLOTH off as a failure yet. Not by any stretch. On the contrary, I don't think a U2 album has had such praise since AB. Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars. Say what you want about them, they are the biggest music magazine out there.

I'm not sure about how the singles will do. Magnificent and Crazy Tonight have potential to make a bit of noise on commercial radio. But who knows. The key will be (as it has been the last two albums) the Grammys.

NLOTH will obviously get a nomination for album of the year, and probably will have several other nominations from the Grammy's. It will probably win too, and then U2 can add this to their catalog as another huge success.

Like it or not, it will be all about the Grammys. Again.

I heard Magnificent on the radio today. Sounds even better on there. Hopefully people will request the shit out of it so they can win song of the year at least.

Beautiful Day was NOT a radio success at all until AFTER it won the 3 grammys. Few were playing it on the radio until that point.

I don't think that's true at all.... atleast not where I live. Radio stations played the shit out of that song when it came out, well before the Grammys.

Except that nobody pays any attention to the Grammys anymore. They haven't been all that relevant for years.

The album will be remembered with or without the Grammy's or the radio. U2's biggest enemy is that people take them for granted because they are still around. No death to band member, no break-ups, no celebrating the past a la the Beatles 25 years after Let It Be. U2 has been going 30 years and people have had no time to miss them. When it is over, they will be missed, and their back catalogue will soar and be appreciated the way it should be. U2 has never gone away. They are and always will be. How many top 40 hits did Led Zeppelin have by the way? One? They still are all over classic rock radio. U2 will be played for many years after it is all said and done. They have both hits and album cuts that everyone knows and remembers.

The album will be remembered with or without the Grammy's or the radio. U2's biggest enemy is that people take them for granted because they are still around. No death to band member, no break-ups, no celebrating the past a la the Beatles 25 years after Let It Be. U2 has been going 30 years and people have had no time to miss them. When it is over, they will be missed, and their back catalogue will soar and be appreciated the way it should be. U2 has never gone away. They are and always will be. How many top 40 hits did Led Zeppelin have by the way? One? They still are all over classic rock radio. U2 will be played for many years after it is all said and done. They have both hits and album cuts that everyone knows and remembers.

This makes a lot of sense, and it explains a lot why U2 gets mocked in the media. It's because they never fucking go away! Maybe they take long between albums, but the singles are milked for 2 years, Bono's on TV doing Interviews and what not. Remember that old saying, that Americans don't have 2nd acts...well U2 isn't american obviously, but it seems they've been thru 2nd and 3rd acts, and it doesn't take a genius to figure that U2 is probably addicted to being #1. They will most likely do anything to get to that top spot. They survived the biggest pitfall after POP, and were prob ready to pack it in, for they didn't believe they could top their past. ATYCLB was intentionally simple, a last ditch effort to win back the people. If that album didn't work, who the hell knows what U2 might have became? Hypothetically, if they never bounced back after POP, they might've been reduced to cult status, only releasing albums for the die-hards, and hey who knows, maybe making bolder, riskier choices with music. Then again, I can't picture Bono being content to sing in small clubs. He needs the stadiums. He needs the spotlight. They all do. I think they're addicted to it. Can you blame them? It's all they've ever known. And i think that's why they get mocked in the press, because of the way they seem to ingratiate themselves with the young people of a new generation. Because they need your vote! They need to win!

cudn't agree more! they want their money back if u'r alive at 33 :) I know this won't hold much credibility coming from a U2 fanatic, but after U2's time, U2 will be remembered as THE greatest band EVER! bigger than The Beatles, bigger than The Rolling Stones, bigger than Pink Floyd and bigger than Led Zeppelin. oh and not just bigger, BETTER!

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense, and it explains a lot why U2 gets mocked in the media. It's because they never fucking go away! Maybe they take long between albums, but the singles are milked for 2 years, Bono's on TV doing Interviews and what not. Remember that old saying, that Americans don't have 2nd acts...well U2 isn't american obviously, but it seems they've been thru 2nd and 3rd acts, and it doesn't take a genius to figure that U2 is probably addicted to being #1. They will most likely do anything to get to that top spot. They survived the biggest pitfall after POP, and were prob ready to pack it in, for they didn't believe they could top their past. ATYCLB was intentionally simple, a last ditch effort to win back the people. If that album didn't work, who the hell knows what U2 might have became? Hypothetically, if they never bounced back after POP, they might've been reduced to cult status, only releasing albums for the die-hards, and hey who knows, maybe making bolder, riskier choices with music. Then again, I can't picture Bono being content to sing in small clubs. He needs the stadiums. He needs the spotlight. They all do. I think they're addicted to it. Can you blame them? It's all they've ever known. And i think that's why they get mocked in the press, because of the way they seem to ingratiate themselves with the young people of a new generation. Because they need your vote! They need to win!

I think you and believer75 are both spot on.

cudn't agree more! they want their money back if u'r alive at 33 :) I know this won't hold much credibility coming from a U2 fanatic, but after U2's time, U2 will be remembered as THE greatest band EVER! bigger than The Beatles, bigger than The Rolling Stones, bigger than Pink Floyd and bigger than Led Zeppelin. oh and not just bigger, BETTER!

You are right...there is no band that can compare to the entire HISTORY of what U2 has done. 30 years of relevance can't be beat.

NLOTH has already been far better received than ATYCLB was when it was first released. Beautiful Day was NOT a radio success at all until AFTER it won the 3 grammys. Few were playing it on the radio until that point.

1) All That You Can't Leave Behind was the best received album from the band this decade. It sold the most copies and had the best reviews. The general fan base loved it as well and it didn't start being criticized greatly around here until a few years after its release.

2) Beautiful Day received a TON of radio play initially while the video clip was played relentlessly on MTV & VH1 stations.

Whilst I wouldn't agree that they will be thought of as BETTER than all those bands, I have always clung to the belief that as soon as they call it a day, the dust settles and we get used to them not being a band anymore, then will people start realising the full impact of their career.

What the hell? Don't know what planet you're on mate but Beautiful Day was massive everywhere.

Spent two weeks at Number One in Australia, and hung around for a long while, was the 51st best selling single of 2000.

Vertigo debuted at 5, hung around the 20s a bit and then disappeared.

While Sexy Boots debuted at 26 and dropped from the top 50 straight away.

Beautiful Day was a massive success.

BD's radio success is the reason ATYCLB dropped with such huge sales, you think they'd sell that many copies after a 3+ year absence coming off their most reviled album to date (not judging, just talking about reception) without something of a hit? It definitely didn't take until the following February for it to hit.

:up: Love this post - have always maintained this. God forbid but if the band had been snuffed out in some plane crash in 86 or 87 or even later just after AB.......or if even bono had od'd (can u imagine) on heroin back then, well then they'd have been immortalised and elevated alongside all those great and dead icons, you could just imagine the Boy album cover becoming as popular an icon as Che Guevara gracing t-shirts and school bags and backs of locker doors across the globe. Yeah U2 have never really been forgiven for staying alive and pretty much drug free!

:up: Love this post - have always maintained this. God forbid but if the band had been snuffed out in some plane crash in 86 or 87 or even later just after AB.......or if even bono had od'd (can u imagine) on heroin back then, well then they'd have been immortalised and elevated alongside all those great and dead icons, you could just imagine the Boy album cover becoming as popular an icon as Che Guevara gracing t-shirts and school bags and backs of locker doors across the globe. Yeah U2 have never really been forgiven for staying alive and pretty much drug free!

:applaud:

I don't even know how to respond, love this post CAUSE IT'S SO TRUE!

exactly!!!

I agree with all the posts here, in the UK all the old eighties bands are reforming bands that were around when U2 started to make it big in the early eighties, and their problem
was always that after a while some band member's ego's got too big with the success and they fell out and split up and it stopped being about the music but themselves

And even though U2 have no doubt have had many arguments over the past 30 years they always realised the music and their friendship was far more important than their own ego's and stuck it out, and whilst these other 80's bands are getting together for their greatest hits tours and its all to do with nostalgia. U2 are still making new music and are still very relevent in the music scene, and they should be celebrated for that, not condemned

Back
Top Bottom