Is U2 18 the end? Is WITS playable live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bayou12780 said:
"One thing Larry was responsible for was whispering in my ear, at the end of Pop -- it might have been the last day of recording -- 'Why don't we actually make a pop record next time?'"
-- Bono, 2001

So maybe Larry get's his wish now. WITS is a start.

:scratch: Are you talking about ATYCLB or the new album?

No, this is not the end of U2. I think they'll tell us it's the end before their final album. They'll make a big deal of it as they do with everything else.

And of course they can pull WITS off live. They pulled Mofo off.

doctorwho said:

Yes, U2 has disbanded. That means no more U2 music. As such, there's probably no reason for you to be here. Nope, none. So no need to post any more.

Take care! Have fun! Maybe we'll meet on the Mariah Carey board cuz I know you love some Mariah.

Yeah shes got great tits but I hate her fuc#ing singing!

i've heard that she has grown rather fat lately. but her tits are probably just as fine as they've always been :drool:

BrownEyedBoy said:
How the hell do you "pass a torch"? When did "The Police" ever pass any torch to anyone? How the hell does Green Day even stack up to U2? They´re not a "new" band. They´ve been around for a while and they still suck.

Anybody feel like explaining where the hell "The Police passing the torch" story comes from?

Now I'm writing this purely from memory but I believe a detailed description of this event is in the U2 Bible(aka U2-At the End of the World).

Basically there was some debate as to who should close out the show. Typically, the last act is the so-called biggest band in the world but the Police were already on their way down while U2 was on their way up. So, a compromise was reached that saw The Police start "Invisible Sun" and eventually get replaced by each member of U2 one at a time with U2 finishing the song.

But insofar as U2 passing the torch to Green Day I don't understand your point. Whatever you may think of Green Day they've been around for a number of years and have sold millions of albums. They are miles ahead of where U2 was in 1986, in terms of popular appeal at least. As someone said earlier if U2 are to pass the torch in the future(not in the near future I hope!) it would be to an up and coming band such as they were in 1986. And when I say up and coming I mean it in the pre-Joshua Tree sense. U2 was well known but didn't reach that mega-start status yet. Bands like Coldplay fit the bill.

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah shes got great tits but I hate her fuc#ing singing!

Seriously Mods, can this idot be banned? He is consistently offensive, is that not against your rules? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you let this go then you are willingly letting this forum go down the pan IMO.

roy said:

Seriously Mods, can this idot be banned? He is consistently offensive, is that not against your rules? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you let this go then you are willingly letting this forum go down the pan IMO.

i think you have to consult the mods in private if you have a problem with another member, roy.

U2 can play whatever song they want live! hell, Bono doesn't even sing live anymore! everything is recorded. it's like they're doing interperative dance while the album tracks play in the background. WitS would be no huge task at all

U2girl said:
U2 is the new Beatles, so ... drugs checked with Adam, they did experimenting already - the only thing left is indeed studio-only phase.
And probably the frontman quitting the band/ego squabble in the band. Africa is the new Yoko, really.

"AFRICA IS THE NEW YOKO." Brilliant!:wink:

ponkine said:

It's impossible to pass the torch to elder artists. BB King, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson were obviously older than U2 at that times.

The Police passed the torch to a younger band, U2 in 1986. In 2006 U2 have passed the torch to a younger band, Green Day.

I really hope the new album won't be WITSish, if so, U2 will be done :help:

First thing they need to do: KEEP RICK RUBBISH AWAY

and second: Dream It All Up Again, for God's Sake

:wave:

Problem is, Dreaming it all up again Part 2 would be in danger of being contrived if it is done for its own sake. I do agree with you though no the point that they need to keep it fresh.

jarvis said:
Back in 1986, The Police passed on their instruments to U2 as a symbolic passing of the torch. Now it's 2006, it seems U2 has passed that torch to Green Day.

There has been a great productivity decline of U2's new material. From 1998 to present - which is 8 years - we have only gotten 2 studio albums (ATYCLB HTDAAB) and 3 greatest hits albums. It's usually not a great sign - especially if their last greatest hits includes a collaboration.

I think Vertigo may be their last big tour.

On a side note, I also noticed in the production of Window In The Skies that it might not make a very good live song because so many elements are hard to reproduce live but they sound great in the studio.

It sounds like a perfect bookend also. What started out as U23 ends with U218.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think you're right to a point. I don't see them wanting to do the colossal tours as they get older. But then again there is the Rolling Stones.

I totally disagree with the quality of their latest albums. But that's a matter of taste. What I can say though is that these are successful and critically aclaimed albums so I don't think a lack of creativity is a possible problem.

They definately arn't passing the torch to Green Day. Unless they drastically change their sound (which they have never shown an inkling towards previously) they won't have the longevity coupled with popularity that U2 has.

As to album count, so? From 1990 until 2000 we got three albums and a smattering of singles. They're actually on pace to top that. Just because the one off singles are coming from Best Of's instead of soundtracks and side projects, so?

Aside from retirement at advanced ages, ultimately what will mark the end of U2 is one of three things; a band member dies, Sian gets even sicker, or Bono's two bad albums in a row rule comes into play.

bayou12780 said:
"One thing Larry was responsible for was whispering in my ear, at the end of Pop -- it might have been the last day of recording -- 'Why don't we actually make a pop record next time?'"
-- Bono, 2001

So maybe Larry get's his wish now. WITS is a start.

One thing the band definitely needs to stop doing is listening to Larry.

discothequeLP said:
U2 can play whatever song they want live! hell, Bono doesn't even sing live anymore! everything is recorded. it's like they're doing interperative dance while the album tracks play in the background. WitS would be no huge task at all

It's quite obvious he's singing live. He sometimes (ok a lot :wink: ) forgets words, and it doesn't sound as polished as it does on the album recordings, which of course goes for anything done live as opposed to in studio. If everything was perfect, then I'd be suspicious.

Ohhhh, but the forgotten lyrics and ad-libs are part of the faking. It's all planned, a pre-emptive missed lyric now and then and no one has to know!

U2girl said:
Ohhhh, but the forgotten lyrics and ad-libs are part of the faking. It's all planned, a pre-emptive missed lyric now and then and no one has to know!

How do you know that Bono forgets his lyrics on purpose?

Could we please not talk about Mariah's breastal region and which members are idiots? A thank ya.

roy said:

Whats your problem Roy. You don't like Mariahs tits then theres something seriously wrong with you man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom