Is this what the recording sessions are for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adriansr_martin said:
Over at atu2.com there running the following story .

Did they use the Fez sessions for this? - if not - when did Danny last have sessions with the band (during the Bomb sessions? seems an awful long time to wait for the video to surface?)

The Fez sessions was for an U2 project according to Edge,
But Danny has mentioned having his hands full of several projects on his website journal so I guess this is one of them.

"It's all about capturing the moment and so that's what we really went after," said Lanois, who clipped small security cameras onto musical instruments in the studios to get some of the footage.

Maybe this explains the mysterious thing on the headstock of Edge's Music Rising Les Paul in Cannes.

The bigger question is, we will be hearing new material, whether its finished or far from it. Now I don't know much in the ways of pre-album music being officially released in a documentary or as promos. Being leaked aside, has new U2 material ever been used in this way? More importantly, would their studio footage in Lanois' documentary indicate a sooner release than we thought, or is it all just circumstance and we'll be hearing far from complete music? This is a confusing post, I know, and I hope you all sort of understand the gist of it lol.

Apart from the infamous leaks and beach clips, U2 are pretty protective of their music until they're ready to release it, so I'd be surprised if anything of any note was shown. Unless of course there's some stuff destined for other places than the next proper U2 album.

Just IMO of course.

Now I'm sure Fez was for the Daniel Lanois movie -- that U2 promised them they'd be in it, and they couldn't get their act together to give him what he needed, so they agreed to go down to Fez and do some songs for him. Kind of like how they recorded Tower of Song with Leonard Cohen.

The U2.com story mentions that there was an articulated lorry parked outside, and you generally don't need an articulated lorry just to record music (heck, you can do that with Garage Band.) But you do need an articulated lorry to hold the equipment you need to light and produce film. Just ask anyone who lives in Manhattan or Chicago whose streets are blocked off on a regular basis.

That guitar at the beginning of the trailer is Edge's, I suspect.

Last edited:
silvrlvr said:
Now I'm sure Fez was for the Daniel Lanois movie -- that U2 promised them they'd be in it, and they couldn't get their act together to give him what he needed, so they agreed to go down to Fez and do some songs for him. Kind of like how they recorded Tower of Song with Leonard Cohen.

The U2.com story mentions that there was an articulated lorry parked outside, and you generally don't need an articulated lorry just to record music (heck, you can do that with Garage Band.) But you do need an articulated lorry to hold the equipment you need to light and produce film. Just ask anyone who lives in Manhattan or Chicago whose streets are blocked off on a regular basis.

That guitar at the beginning of the trailer is Edge's, I suspect.

What about Edge saying that it was a U2 project?
What about Eno's whiteboard?
http://bp3.blogger.com/_cIUNPAo_V54/Rnt0j_rH8II/AAAAAAAAARw/9OYUYWRD5JQ/s1600-h/UR#1.jpg
And what about 10 songs in two weeks
Surely, they wouldn't need ten songs for the movie from U2 alone?
And an articulated lorry wasn't needed in order to deliver all their instruments and equipment down there either, I suppose?
I don't think they went to Fez only to participate in Lanois' film, I think he wants to give the audience a insight in his work, and if he could get some songs worked out in the meantime that would be good for him as well.
Larry also mentioned that they had been working together a couple of months back, before going to Fez in the first place, and also he said they would meet up later this year (when the film is already in the theatres, or at least been screened at TIFF.)

It sounds like the movie is just going to look at U2 in the studio, so I don't see why the recording sessions in Fez couldn't have been for both this movie and a new U2 project.

The_Edge89 said:

What about Edge saying that it was a U2 project?
What about Eno's whiteboard?
http://bp3.blogger.com/_cIUNPAo_V54/Rnt0j_rH8II/AAAAAAAAARw/9OYUYWRD5JQ/s1600-h/UR#1.jpg
And what about 10 songs in two weeks
Surely, they wouldn't need ten songs for the movie from U2 alone?
And an articulated lorry wasn't needed in order to deliver all their instruments and equipment down there either, I suppose?
I don't think they went to Fez only to participate in Lanois' film, I think he wants to give the audience a insight in his work, and if he could get some songs worked out in the meantime that would be good for him as well.
Larry also mentioned that they had been working together a couple of months back, before going to Fez in the first place, and also he said they would meet up later this year (when the film is already in the theatres, or at least been screened at TIFF.)

I'm not sure what to believe any more. After all, the Edge has been on fire since sometime in 2005, and yet he still hasn't incinerated.

The squib from the Chicago paper claimed Bono and Edge wrote the Spiderman musical in two weeks. Although I realized they are experienced song writers, even Gershwin, Cole Porter and Irving Berlin would have had trouble writing a Broadway musical in two weeks.

I think this is a series of feints and obfuscations to keep everyone guessing. Obviously, it works.

silvrlvr said:

I'm not sure what to believe any more. After all, the Edge has been on fire since sometime in 2005, and yet he still hasn't incinerated.

The squib from the Chicago paper claimed Bono and Edge wrote the Spiderman musical in two weeks. Although I realized they are experienced song writers, even Gershwin, Cole Porter and Irving Berlin would have had trouble writing a Broadway musical in two weeks.

I think this is a series of feints and obfuscations to keep everyone guessing. Obviously, it works.

Yeah they may have written the spidey music in two weeks but they have probably been talking about it for two years since that's how long ago they signed the contracts. So what probably actually happened is that two weeks was what it took to record demos of what they've been talking about for two years.

Dana

silvrlvr said:

How does this even make sense?

I'm sure that U2, Daniel and Eno just were writing songs. Some for Danny's movie, some for U2, some for no reason at all. The point is, the Fez sessions will definitely influence the new album.

topplehatU2 said:
It sounds like the movie is just going to look at U2 in the studio, so I don't see why the recording sessions in Fez couldn't have been for both this movie and a new U2 project.

exactly

we know now the Fez sessions were for a U2 album, as Adam said "There's definitely an album in there"

Back
Top Bottom