Is this the worst U2 album ever ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rasta

The Fly
Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. I don't think it will grow on me either as I am sick of listening to it already. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sounded better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..Where was Larry and Adam on this album ? I thought they were the ones who are supposed to save them from releasing a shite album ? When Bono said after three shite albums that's it for them did he mean 3 in a row or 3 in total ? This is definitely #2 after Pop. Bono needs to sing not speak. Maybe they should have called it "This Is An Album for Somebody".

I'm not a big fan of the record, but I have to laugh when you say it's too mellow for you and then state that Every Breaking Wave is your favorite song in the next sentence.

The fact that you say you can't hear guitar and that it's too mellow, makes me think you haven't actually listened to it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You're obviously entitled to your opinion on the music quality, but if you really "can't hear the guitars" you need to have your ears checked.

But I suspect that's not the case and that you can hear them just fine. Just a wild-assed guess.

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sound better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..

What the???

Miracle
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood
And even Iris somewhat are all really guitar heavy.

I seriously don't know how a U2 fan could not be pleased with this album. Especially if you made it through Bomb and No Line...

This thread reminds me of the look my cats give me when i decide to surprise them with some fancy new treat instead of the same old slop, and they just look at me like, "bitch please - we want the same old slop"

Are you sure you listened to the album? I understand not liking it, music is subjective but there is most certainly guitar in this record. A hell of a lot more guitar than there was in NLoTH.

i will say there is no chimey guitar. is that true?

like, it's Edge riffermania. it's like he's apologizing for SUC and is like, "no, really guys, i can do better."

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sound better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..

These are the particular fans I want disappointed. This is a good sign for the album. Everybody who listened to it more than once changed their opinions and will continue to do so after many listens and getting into the themes of the songs. Good albums have to sink in.

It also helps to listen more because the album is full of guitars. Every Breaking Wave is more mellow but you choose that as the best song of this "too mellow" album.

If you think this is too mellow then I can guess what you must think of Zooropa and Passengers.

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sound better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..They should have called it "This Is An Album for Somebody".

I have to ask...are you old or young? Or better yet how long have you followed the band?

This is the album NLOTH should have been.

The fact that you say you can't hear guitar and that it's too mellow, makes me think you haven't actually listened to it.

Agree. This guitar treatment reminds a lot of what edge did in the 90's..very little chiming and more effects and heavy chords

Sorry guys but I'm glad I didn't pay for your new album. We waited 5 years for this ? I can't hear Edge's guitar at all in this and there are no hits. Too melow for me. Every Breaking Wave is the only half decent song on the entire album but we've already heard that song played live (which sound better live). Maybe you should have worked with Eno and Lanois. Been a fan since the beginning really disappointed..Where was Larry and Adam on this album ? I thought they were the ones who are supposed to save them from releasing a shite album ? When Bono said after three shite albums that's it for them did he mean 3 in a row or 3 in total ? This is definitely #2 after Pop. Bono needs to sing not speak. Maybe they should have called it "This Is An Album for Somebody".

You've been waiting 5 years to write this...

It's certainly not their worst, nor their best effort.

In my opinion upon 2 listens, it's "U2 by Numbers", this is sort of what i expected.

They are all good songs but pretty safe.

It reminds me of ATYCLB with a little bit of Pop thrown in there.

Nothing on this album blows me away and yet there are no clunkers/fillers.

Overall, for taking this long to come up with a new album, i think it could have been better.

It sounds like i'm being negative here, but that is not my intention. I like the album and it's better than anything on the radio in 2014. In the U2 catalogue, this one is middle of the pack at best.

It sounds like the album that The Killers want to make.

Rasta, since you have been a fan since the beginning I'm puzzled that you'd rank it as their worst. I understand having a hate on for a couple tracks but on the whole it seems to me there is enough diversity and quality that there would be something for just about any "camp" within the u2 fandom. (unless you think they jumped the shark after war :wink:)

I like that there are no clunker's and it feels like an album that I will play without hitting the skip button. If I'm honest, that has not happened for me since AB. The flipside is that I haven't yet connected with any of the tracks to the point that I'd put them in my all time top 10. Though this could happen after more listens.

It's certainly not their worst, nor their best effort.

In my opinion upon 2 listens, it's "U2 by Numbers", this is sort of what i expected.

'U2 by Numbers' is a delightful U2 tribute album by the band called 'Numbers', and contains 12 version of the song 'Numb' that are some of the best versions of that song I've ever heard.

Shame on you for making this comparison.

Sent from my fingertips.

It's way, way too early to rank it.

With that said, it is not their worst album and not their best album. I am quite enjoying it at the moment and two days in I like it better than NLOTH and POP and on par with Bomb and ATYCLB at the same "1 day in" point for me.

With that said...does a U2 album exist that ALL U2 fans agree is good??

'U2 by Numbers' is a delightful U2 tribute album by the band called 'Numbers', and contains 12 version of the song 'Numb' that are some of the best versions of that song I've ever heard.

Shame on you for making this comparison.

Sent from my fingertips.

Hah! this made me think of a song I heard last night "Pop 101" which I find truly dreadful and "The grunge song" by Corky and the Juicepigs. Somebody should write "U2 song" in the same vain :)

Probably the worst in their career but then it could so easily be their best. That is the fascinating conundrum we have before us.

I don't get why anyone would consider this U2 by numbers, as there are many things here that they have absolutely never done.. ever. But alas.

I get if you don't like it... but saying that it's more of the same? I don't get that argument whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't get why anyone would consider this U2 by numbers, as there are many things here that they have absolutely never done.. ever. But alas.

I get if you don't like it... but saying that it's more of the same? I don't get that argument whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't know, this album sounds like ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH.

Each of those albums had a clunker or two, this album does not.

I just don't see anything epic here. Lots of good songs but nothing where i am like "oMG1!, this is amazing".

Once again, i am not hating, i like the new album a lot but i don't hear the magical moments that the recent albums have had.

The album brings a smile to my ears and i am thrilled to have it.

Back
Top Bottom