Is This The Best U2 Album Ever?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I don't think it is even close to their best. Sadly, I can't see any huge hit off this album. Moment Of Surrender is brilliant, Crazy Tonight could be a radio friendy song. Everyone gets caught up in the emotion of having a new U2 album that we go over the top. No other act around can match this album, but in terms of U2 and their previous albums I don't think it is even better than Bomb. I dissagree that there are no weak songs too. The last 3 or 4 are rather weak in my opinion.

Listen to Revolver by The Beatles and then listen to this album and see if you like it better after a juxtaposition.

I think u2 have 3 masterpieces in Joshua Tree, AB & ATYCLB. This album wont be one. Its just like when boots came out and every man and their dog said it was better than Vertigo. I'm loving 3 or 4 tracks of this album but I doubt this will be a masterpiece. Hope I am wrong though. Time will tell.

The fact that you feel the last 4 songs are weak and that ATYCLB compares to Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby (when it is comparable to October at best in terms of quality) means you are wrong at music. Sorry if there isn't anything radio-catchy on there for you, but this is an album for fans of the art of music, not chart hits. And GOYB DOES shit all over Vertigo - just because two songs are up-tempo doesn't mean they are comparable. There is a right way to do pop songs and Vertigo is an abysmal example of the wrong way.

I like to be confronted by music and I honestly never thought U2 could do that again.

The fact that you feel the last 4 songs are weak and that ATYCLB compares to Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby (when it is comparable to October at best in terms of quality) means you are wrong at music. Sorry if there isn't anything radio-catchy on there for you, but this is an album for fans of the art of music, not chart hits. And GOYB DOES shit all over Vertigo - just because two songs are up-tempo doesn't mean they are comparable. There is a right way to do pop songs and Vertigo is an abysmal example of the wrong way.

I like to be confronted by music and I honestly never thought U2 could do that again.

Did you sign up today buddy?

you probably could have been less offensive, but i like what you said.

Yet isn't everyone entitled to their opinion? Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Oh and please tell me what the "wrong way/right way" to do a Pop Song is. And how Vertigo failed at that.

The_bottom_line_is_these_songs_are_very_difficult_to_play....whether_you_like_that_or_not_probably_bears_a_lot_on_if_you've_ever_played_music...

Wow.

Just wow.

Messianic complex anyone?

For fuck's sake, let other people enjoy what they want.

The_bottom_line_is_these_songs_are_very_difficult_to_play....whether_you_like_that_or_not_probably_bears_a_lot_on_if_you've_ever_played_music...

How hard a song is has NOTHING to do with how "good" a song is. (yes I play)

I_didn't_say_that_did_I??....I_only_commented_that_these_songs_are_difficult_and_odd_sounding....I_enjoy_the_complexity_of_what_they_are_doing_musically....it_challenges_me_audially

I have no idea If it's their best, but it's excellent. Actually makes me appreciate bomb more for what it was, but this is u2 on a different level.

Yet isn't everyone entitled to their opinion? Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Oh and please tell me what the "wrong way/right way" to do a Pop Song is. And how Vertigo failed at that.

I'm sorry I didn't intend to sound like I was directly insulting you, just sort of how it came along. I just sort of wanted to say that pop-rock songs aren't all the same.

Here's what Vertigo does wrong:

- Takes itself WAY too seriously (this is instant hamartia for most pop songs, but I'll continue anyway)
- Terrible lyrics
- An entire verse of "yeah"
- Straight-up structure
- Absolutely nothing interesting musically. One riff.
- Generic vocal hook in the chorus

All up, it's just boring. Good bands have the ability to interweave melodies, punctuate feelings and build layers upon the base song. In GOYB, the music perfectly fits the style of song aimed for, with every note and sound intentionally contributing to this. It also doesn't take itself seriously and is unashamed about this (just watch the video vs. Vertigo video for example). Vertigo is just a good riff with lyrics. Nothing works intentionally together.

Great pop songs are immediately accessible yet eternally gratifying for the discerning listener. Look at what Michael Jackson did, for example. Prince is another good one. I'm definitely not a member of the fun police, in the rap realm for example Kanye West does it right but Timbaland has no clue. I love fun songs but I want to be able to listen to it after ten listens without falling asleep.

Here's what Vertigo does wrong:

- Takes itself WAY too seriously
- Terrible lyrics
- An entire verse of "yeah"
- Straight-up structure
- Absolutely nothing interesting musically. One riff.
- Generic vocal hook in the chorus

- Vertigo is about going to a club (that is serious?)
- Sexy Boots? Bossy Boots?
- You don’t know how beautiful/Let me in the sound
- Most Pop Songs are...
- Says you.
- Hooks are what make Pop Songs.

Both are "fine" pop songs. I actually like both, but if you are talking about "building a pop song" I think some of the points you make above are actually, NOT in favor of making a "pop song"...

It's an opinion. Everyone has one. No ones is "wrong".

P.S. the thing about getting music "wrong" was a joke. The idea is ludicrous. Just sort of taking a playful stab but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I know what Moiner06 is trying to say about these being hard songs to play. I'm in a band so I completely appreciate the songwriting craft, and HTDAAB's songs could all be written in one session by a band jamming together. NLOTH is far more purposeful and would take months of trying different things, new instruments and techniques to reach the end product. It'd be a bloody hard album to write.

In response:

- Vertigo is about going to a club (that is serious?): Look at the video and listen to the style of the song. The lyrics are dumb and aren't serious but the band sure as hell thinks it is. That's what gets me.
- Sexy Boots? Bossy Boots?: I said I wasn't a member of the fun police. They're being cheeky and it fits well with the song.
- You don’t know how beautiful/Let me in the sound: Has a purpose in the song. "Yeah" doesn't have a purpose. It reminds me of people who put "tonight" at the end of lines because they don't have enough skill to write decent lyrics. Spinal Tap-esque.
- Most Pop Songs are...: Yes, most pop songs are but great pop songs aren't.
- Says you.: Care to refute? I don't hear anything but guitar and vocals.
- Hooks are what make Pop Songs.: Hooks are what make pop songs but different hooks make great pop songs. It's why Coldplay will never be great; because they really are just same-old hooks.

NLOTH might not stand up to be U2's single best album...but it is certainly the strongest effort they have produced for a number of years. It is musically cohesive and in terms of subject matter it develops its concepts over a majority of the songs...the songs are well balanced between "denser" numbers (MOS, COL) and more accessible (GOYB, Crazy Tonight)...it goes to show that U2 can still show musical growth without alienating the audience...so at the moment, im pretty satisfied.

Thats just my opinion, it could be affected by the hype of the last 24 hours, but nevertheless! :D

U2 songs are like wine - their taste can change over time, in various directions - but so far "Moment of Surrender" is quickly turning into my favorite U2 song ever. And for me, the album is neck-and-neck with Achtung Baby.

Achtung baby's still the best...

Magnificent, White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon really really impress me though :)

I miss the australian-esque opening of NLOTH2 though :(

YES!..I love it!...Ok I loved HTDAAB too 4 years ago...but I swear this surpasses it...its deeper, intense, and well you just can't digest it all in one listen takes many.:drool:

This album is like a musical drug

The needle going into your arm and slowly you fade off into a happiness that cant be explained....who needs real drugs when you have U2 albums like this one :)

I say This is the 2nd Masterpiece, Achtung Baby has moved to 3rd and Joshua Tree is still #1

There isn't a single track on this album that gives me shivers. The last album at least had Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, City & All Because Of You which could haunt me 90-100% of the time. I don't think it's their worst album, it's certainly more cohesive than a few, and aside from Stand Up Comedy, consistently good from start to finish. I'll at least have more fun listening to it all the way through than Passengers, Rattle & Hum or Pop. I give it a 7.

All Because of You haunts me too. But not in the good way.

At first listen, I was blown away and felt U2 had finally done, in my opinion, the proper follow-up to Pop. In fact this album makes the last two look like a collection of B-sides.

But, after many many listens, I never thought I would ever say this but....

I think I have found a U2 album I actually like better than Pop. :drool:

No, it's not their best.

Not even their "third masterpiece" (how many times we've heard that? at least since ATYCLB. Every new U2 album is described as "third masterpiece")

It's good, but it also has its weakness

x INFINITY

The Joshua Tree = U2
there is no comparison

Look, I understand that it's easy to get nostalgic for your days back in high school with the mullet and the shoulder pads and the parachute pants but try to keep the hyperbole to a bare minimum.
JT is a classic album. But it's not perfect. I skip songs on pretty much every record ever.
Joshua Tree? Yup.
Achung Baby? Yup.
Blood on the Tracks? Yup.
Ok Computer. Yup.
Born to Run? Yup.
Revolver? Yup.
Sgt Peppers? Yup.
Exile and Main Street? Yup.
Let it Bleed? Yup.
Moondance? Yup.
Kind of Blue? Yup.
What's Going On? Yup.
Dark Side of the Moon? Yup.

They all have a stinker or two. No record is sacred to everyone.
I love Exile on Main Street. I'm very aware that it has a couple of clunkers but I love the sound of the album. I have friends whose opinions I value who think it's the worst "classic" era Stones record.

It's ok if someone likes NLOTH as much as Joshua Tree. What will be interesting is if they still think so in 10 years. Then we'll know it's an all timer.

No, it's not their best.

Not even their "third masterpiece" (how many times we've heard that? at least since ATYCLB. Every new U2 album is described as "third masterpiece")

It's good, but it also has its weakness

Yes it does. All albums have weaknesses. Tell me your sacred cow of a U2 record and I'll tear it a new "you know what."
You're a Pop man if I recall. I love that record. I still play it regularly.
But the lyrics are hit and miss in the worst way.
Please and WUDM are the best (imho) lyrics of bono's career.
Miami and Discotheque are among the worst.
"You can hold it control it/But you can't bag it"

YOU CAN'T BAG IT???!!!! If Bono pulled that dud out of his ass on the new record we'd crucify him.
"You know you're chewin' bubblegum/You know what this is but
you still want some/"
Oh my God. A great idea butchered by ham handed lyrics. Just terrible.
But Discotheque rocks so all is forgiven. :hyper::hyper:

Oh, and the production on Pop is the ass. It sounds terrible.

Death to sacred cows. :mad::mad::mad:

I'll reserve judgment for a while. The album's still too new to me. Everytime U2 release a new album, it's their best ever to me for a while and then the "newness" runs out. Right now, I rank it behind Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and possibly Pop, but only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom