Is This The Best U2 Album Ever?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know you dont have to rate albums numerically you could just take them all as seperate works in seperate periods of the bands career....

I'd say it's certainly the best they've released this decade. I don't think it's a masterpiece, but they definitely came close. For me, it's the best since POP. Achtung is still my favorite.

I know you didnt mean it with bad intentions, but you shouldnt really single someone out like that. The guy is stoked about the new album. Thats cool. Let him be stoked, know what I mean? but again, i know it was all in good fun so, who am I to say anything.......peace, love and understanding :hi5:

I don't mind. It was actually funny to see that post.
I think there was also so much hype about HTDAAB that made me react like that. Of course, as many U2 fans, I also have problems being objective when it comes to U2 :sexywink:

Can't get on with this ranking obsession that Interference seems to have.

It's an amazing, deep, multi-faceted and beautiful record.

We all need to live with it a bit.

Another classic interference over the top moment from the bomb review thread....
sooo...Remember getting AB as an early Christmas gift back in what, '92 or whatever when I it launched andI was a High School senior.
I had only heard the single (the fly). I listened to the whole album on cassette player and headphones. My dear brother loved U2 too asked me,
"How is it". It's fucking amazing. I said. It's classic. It's as good as Joshua Tree. Based upon one listening. I ended up being right didn't I?
Maybe these guys are right too.

It's an amazing, deep, multi-faceted and beautiful record.

We all need to live with it a bit.

Totally agree.
This album is zooropean in its attitude and unforgettable in its soundscapes. It will take a long time to "own" it.
Today there are things with it that I find hard to like (i.e. Bonos highpitced and strained voice, some ridiculous sounds and the lack of direct hit songs.)
On the other hand I just love to see U2 move away from ATYCLBHTDAAB-land. I love them being experimental again. I love them being musicians again - or maybe for the first time. I love that Edge plays a thousand different chords/sounds/notes instead of two or three. I love to listen to Adam´s bass and hear him make some really awkward things again. I love to hear Larry being interested in playing drums again. And I understand Bonos new way of singing is his answer to the other´s development. Maybe I´ll love it later. We´ll see. Today I just rejoice in the third masterpiece.

Man I am starting to LOVE this record.

a couple of weak spots but such a surprise. I am (allready was) a happy camper

I still haven't heard the album, I was planning on waiting until March 3rd, when I get the boxset, but Mr. V convinced me in the middle of one of those epic threads last night that I'll be better off just listening to the damn thing now. So I'm going to listen through a good stereo when I get home Friday night probably, then listen to it in my car. Having said that, just based off reviews and reactions thus far, I think the fact that so many people have different favorite tracks, and that even some of the lesser liked songs aren't hated, is very promising in terms of this album's longevity. But I mean, like most U2 records, HTDAAB surely had tracks that a noticeable amount of people didn't like immediately. It just doesn't seem like that's the case this time. I've heard only a few people call a few songs "awful," but many others called it their favorite, or at least put it in their top 3. So I think that this album has a much greater chance of being talked about like JT/AB in the future because of this.

sooo...Remember getting AB as an early Christmas gift back in what, '92 or whatever when I it launched andI was a High School senior.
I had only heard the single (the fly). I listened to the whole album on cassette player and headphones. My dear brother loved U2 too asked me,
"How is it". It's fucking amazing. I said. It's classic. It's as good as Joshua Tree. Based upon one listening. I ended up being right didn't I?
Maybe these guys are right too.

I'm talking about comments from the bomb review thread

I disregard any jubilant or smacking review regarding this album on this forum for the first few days, weeks and months because whatever poops U2 releases it has to be argued if it's their best, worst, sexiest, gayest, coolest and whatnot thing they have released so far! Talking about "U2's best album" ONE DAY after it has leaked is simply :doh: Just look in the HTDAAB review threads and see what went on in there. Of course we're all overwhelmed and full of emotions, of course we are! We have all just listened to 11 BRAND NEW U2 SONGS!

But for God's sake, let it sink it, digest, work its way through your mind, heart and soul. Give it time. See if the songs can even stand the test of time. Maybe this is their best, maybe it's not. There is NO WAY to know this after ONE DAY!

Besides, many U2 songs get their "best ever" touch when performed live. Achtung Baby blows away my mind because of the insane ZooTV shows and their performances. How big are the differences between TTTYAATW, UTEOFW, EBTTRT etc in the live performance (stunning!) to the album versions? It's live where often I get the "that is actually a great song" feeling. Something I missed on several tracks in the Vertigo Tour (SYCMIOYO anyone?).

Finally, I'd like to say I do believe I'm listening to a great collection of 11 Songs on the latest album. Certainly a feeling I didn't have on the last one. Whether this will go down as their best I don't know, and I'm not the one to decide, but neither are "you!"; because imo ATYCLB is amongst their top 2 or 3, which brings us to another issue: WHO says what album is the best? Rolling Stone Magazine? U2 fans? Non U2 fans? The pope? The band themselves? It's hard to narrow down to THE best album, because there will always be different perceptions. Wouldn't it be much wiser to speak of "ONE of the best"...?

Just my 2 cents.

you know you dont have to rate albums numerically you could just take them all as seperate works in seperate periods of the bands career....

I agree - saying this and that is the "best" or that and this is the "worst" is pointless to me. It's like comparing apples and bananas.

Just take each album as it is.

I get bored of AB, then don't listen to it for months, then I get back into it for a while. It depends on my mood.

I go through periods - I've just had a Zooropa/War period, haven't listened to JT in ages and just started listening to UF recently.

Don't compare is my motto - each one is unique.

It's early days but I think NLOTH will be one of my all time favourites - especially when I re-visit it in a year or two's time.

Here's another great one from the Bomb review thread four years ago...

:huh:

Cracks me up. If only you were old enough to remember the R&H reviews from devoted fans. :hyper::hyper: "Greatestt live album evah!! Better than Joshua Tree!!!

Hey, restart you're free to go. shout for joy, if you get the chance.

Is this album their best? I don't think so, but its pretty damn good....and that's fine for me.

I think the simple fact that they were able to produce an album that is "pretty damn good" at this time in their career (or at anytime of their career for that matter) is surprising.

Its a gift for their fans. One I'm not going to give back :wink:

Is this album their best? I don't think so, but its pretty damn good....and that's fine for me.

I think the simple fact that they were able to produce an album that is "pretty damn good" at this time in their career (or at anytime of their career for that matter) is surprising.

:yes:

The question to ask, is it the best since Achtung Baby? That is, is it better than Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB? If so, then -- unless you think all their best stuff was in the eighties -- then it ranks as at least one of their three or four best albums. With the exception of two stupidly titled songs (and we all know which ones), I'd say right now it's the best since AB. How it compares with what I have previously thought were their three best albums, War, JT and AB, is going to take many listens and a tour.

:up:

It's magnificent!

Food for the soul - on a par with JT and AB for me.

(and I don't recall having a 'sounds a bit like Aphex Twin' moment on a U2 album before now :lol::lol:)

Those are Edge lyrics I believe....someone probably already said that, but i couldnt be bothered looking through it all

No, they're Bono's. Edge has always assisted with a lyric here or there.
Bono read some of the lyrics to a journalist in 1993. Might have been
B.P. Fallon.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but anyone else think that NLOTH is to U2 what Sgt. Peppers is to Beatles? I just feel like this is U2's version of Sgt. Peppers. Ironically, Sgt. Peppers is my favorite Beatles album, and well, after 12 years I now have a new favorite-bye bye Pop...hello No Line. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom