Is this new record going to be Eno/Lanois or Lanois/Eno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I don't know that they're the same thing.

I remember, back when ATYCLB was new, I read somewhere that even though the record was credited as Eno/Lanois, that Lanois was sort of the main guy on it, while Eno was sort of only coming in and offering some advice here and there. I don't remember where I read this, and I don't know if it's true or not, but it's not at all hard to believe. I mean, records produced by Eno as the main guy have a distinct sound, a distinct quality, a distinct vibe to them. Listen to any of the records he did with Bowie, or listen to any of the records he's done with U2, or even listen to Coldplay's new record...you can hear Eno clearly in all of them, and I don't know that you can hear him that much on ATYCLB.

If you believe that ATYCLB was a Lanois/Eno affair rather than an Eno/Lanois affair, than Eno hasn't been a primary producing force on a U2 record since Zooropa(or, if you count it, Passengers). That would make it 15 years.

Lanois is great, but Eno is genius and a legend of the business, and considering the length of time it's been since Eno was the main guy on a U2 record(again, IF you believe that Lanois was the main guy on ATYCLB), than I think 'Eno/Lanois' would excite me in the lead-up to this record on a different level than 'Lanois/Eno' would excite me.

Does anyone else know what I'm saying? Did anyone else ever read that about Lanois and ATYCLB? And does anyone know if this new record is Eno w/Lanois or Lanois w/Eno?

I think I know what you're saying. I hear Eno's atmospherics a lot more on Viva La Vida than ATYCLB! Is that cos of Lanois dominating ATYCLB?

I know exactly what you're talking about. Eno's contributions seem to make records sound more ethereal (celestial; deep; reflective; cerebral). It's hard for me to judge on this one, because we don't have any music to listen to. Both Eno and Lanois are talking, and Lanois has had more publicity indirectly because of his video and album. I think it's "wait and see." I hope it's Eno/Lanois so that ethereal style comes through.

I don't think Eno is a one trick pony who can only do "ethereal"
I do think All that you can't ..... is at least as much Eno as Lanois
if not more

Was UF more Eno than Lanois? It certainly sounds it.

It sounds like it. AB sounds very, very eno-heavy as well. As far as I know, Lanois did nothing on Zooropa, that was Eno/Flood/Edge producing together. JT sounds a little more balanced between Eno and Lanois, but I'm pretty sure Eno was the main guy there. You have to remember Lanois was sort just starting out when UF and JT were made.

It sounds like it. AB sounds very, very eno-heavy as well. As far as I know, Lanois did nothing on Zooropa, that was Eno/Flood/Edge producing together. JT sounds a little more balanced between Eno and Lanois, but I'm pretty sure Eno was the main guy there. You have to remember Lanois was sort just starting out when UF and JT were made.

According to U2 at the End of the World, the Achtung Baby sessions were mostly dominated by Lanois, then Eno came in at the end and helped finish up the process.

I mean, records produced by Eno as the main guy have a distinct sound, a distinct quality, a distinct vibe to them. Listen to any of the records he did with Bowie, or listen to any of the records he's done with U2, or even listen to Coldplay's new record...you can hear Eno clearly in all of them, and I don't know that you can hear him that much on ATYCLB.

I don't think this is true of JT...

Have you guys heard the new coldplay album? It should simply be called Brian Eno...Its the unforgettable fire of 2008 (though not nearly as good).

Eno is definitely more present on UF. JT and All that... I would say it's 50/50. AB is more Lanois.

But this album is both of them co-writing so it could go either way.

According to U2 at the End of the World, the Achtung Baby sessions were mostly dominated by Lanois, then Eno came in at the end and helped finish up the process.

Also, the way they work is Lanois sweats it out in the trenches with the band on a day to day basis, Eno mostly comes in and out with advice/comment/ideas.

Here's the credits

Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois - UF

Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois - JT

Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno - ATYCLB

Daniel Lanois with Brian Eno - AB

well considering that eno was present on the adam clips directing the edge and behind a computer, i would say hes going to have a main part in this one. and isnt this album supposed to be an equal collaboration between the band and eno/lanois? is that still the case?

I completely understood the question you posed in your original post namkcuR. It would be interesting to know whether it's Danny or Brian who is giving more input into the new album.

But, really, in the big scheme of things...for me at least...it's all about the songwriting. Pure and simple. And that means Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry.

When it comes to this new U2 album that we've all been anxiously waiting for...and again this is just me...production is an afterthought. I just want U2 to write some damn good songs.

They could record it by themselves on a 4-track and I'd be fine with it.

Have you guys heard the new coldplay album? It should simply be called Brian Eno...Its the unforgettable fire of 2008 (though not nearly as good).

sorry for off topic, but I thought the new album wasn't out yet? how to hear it!?

GirlsAloudFan - Amen! When the whole recording process started and we were getting a little bit of Rick Rubin, I was excited because it seemed like we'd be getting U2 boiled down to their core. But now that those sessions have seemingly been scrapped (for now?), I'm just as excited that Eno and Lanois have as big roles as they do. To be honest, I'm just glad it's not Jackknife Lee. But yes, I really only care about the songs.

Rob33 - I think it came out two weeks ago? If not, a quick Google Blog search may uncover it for you. EDIT* Or, of course, iTunes.

I completely understood the question you posed in your original post namkcuR. It would be interesting to know whether it's Danny or Brian who is giving more input into the new album.

But, really, in the big scheme of things...for me at least...it's all about the songwriting. Pure and simple. And that means Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry.

When it comes to this new U2 album that we've all been anxiously waiting for...and again this is just me...production is an afterthought. I just want U2 to write some damn good songs.

They could record it by themselves on a 4-track and I'd be fine with it.

But producers can have an effect on the songwriting. U2 writes the songs, yes, but when they play stuff back in the studio, producers make critiques. U2 respected Steve Lillywhite's input so much that they re-wrote or made additions/subtractions to songs that were already written based on it. I think any producer is going to have that input, and as long as it's a producer that U2 respects - and I think they respect few more than Eno - they will listen. And I think Eno's input is invaluable, because he is really an artist. See, I think Eno's input would be the polar opposite of Lillywhite's input - Lillywhite's input had to do with 'how do we make this more radio-friendly'. I think Eno's input would be more, 'how do we make this a better piece of art'. He is an ARTIST, and that will rub off on U2, and can/will even alter the songwriting process in some cases.

That's true, of all the producers they've worked with it would probably be Eno who can have the most impact on the actual songwriting.

But I still trust Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry to be able to get in a room...just the four of them...and bang out a great song. No producers needed!!!

sorry for off topic, but I thought the new album wasn't out yet? how to hear it!?

Albums leak online because of international release dates and other reasons, apparently.

Mind-boggling.

GirlsAloudFan - Amen! When the whole recording process started and we were getting a little bit of Rick Rubin, I was excited because it seemed like we'd be getting U2 boiled down to their core. But now that those sessions have seemingly been scrapped (for now?), I'm just as excited that Eno and Lanois have as big roles as they do. To be honest, I'm just glad it's not Jackknife Lee. But yes, I really only care about the songs.

Rob33 - I think it came out two weeks ago? If not, a quick Google Blog search may uncover it for you. EDIT* Or, of course, iTunes.

He might not push the envelope with them the way Eno or Lanois do, but Jackknife Lee is a great producer for facillitating a band's existing direction, look at Snow Patrol's Final Straw, Bloc Party's A Weekend in the City, and R.E.M.'s Accelerate, he may be more known for his remixes but he's a great producer, the production hell of the Bomb would have been lessened with him or any of them for that matter, as the soul producer.

Also, it seems from the amount of involvement that this is pretty 50/50, but perhaps a little more Lanois since he's been more out there in talking about and seems a bit more involved and not working on other projects the way Eno has been, we'll see though.

With Eno listed as first producer on JT, and Lanois on AB, its hard to complain either way.

Here's the credits

Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois - UF

Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois - JT

Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno - ATYCLB

Daniel Lanois with Brian Eno - AB

Actually, JT is Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.

Back
Top Bottom