Is the deluxe box set worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToddJ

The Fly
Has anyone seen the hard cover book in the deluxe box set? I remember when "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" came out with a hard cover book, but there were mostly drawings that looked like they were done by a child. so i wasn't sure if I should shell out the big bucks (aka more credit card debt) for this one....

yes. it's worth it.

EDIT: Ok, I'll elaborate. The book does feature a lot of pics of the band and individual members. It has a running interview throughout it which is pretty interesting. The box itself is a work of art, I think... Just the presentation. It looks great sitting on a bookshelf. The poster is kinda a bummer because of the creases from the folding. I'm glad I got this for $64, but I would have paid the $94 it was originally listed at. It's cool.

Has anyone seen the hard cover book in the deluxe box set? I remember when "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" came out with a hard cover book, but there were mostly drawings that looked like they were done by a child. so i wasn't sure if I should shell out the big bucks (aka more credit card debt) for this one....

Just don't spend $100 on it, spend $66.

These things always seem expensive and 'not worth it' at first, but after a while I usually forget about the money and still have the nice boxset. :wink: I also really like having a physical copy of Linear.

Only you can decide whether it is worth it.

Here in the UK, it works out you pay £23 for the box, DVD, hardcover book and poster. On the surface of things, that seems reasonable - until you delve deeper.

The £22 for the digipack is probably overpriced to begin with...

The DVD is stereo, and will only appeal to a small minority of purchasers - Linear is simply a very arty (and sometimes boring/weird) moving artwork - not like a concert DVD you watch over and over.

The hardcover book is nicely presented and contains pictures and an interview. Will I read it again? I don't know - I've not read the HTDAAB book again since 2004. If you like interviews, it can be found online - as can the pictures.

The poster is okay, but as said above - is creased so the use is limited.

Of course they key here is whether it is worth more than the sum of its parts - and it is. I am happy given I paid £18 for it. Probably happy at £30 - but not £45. It is difficult to assess these things rationally, because we are fans and have an emotional connection. Sentimentally, I always the collectors editions but there comes a point at which my willingness to pay is breached.

I would not get into debt for it - unless you can make the economic rationale you can sell it on for a good price later.

If you’re not a massive “must have everything” collector, then no, I don’t think it’s worth it. At all. I bought it on a whim and I feel like Larry owes me a few drinks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom