Is Stingray from the UF sessions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Willie Williams said in his diary that the melody for Stingray was "born" earlier this year, but I don't know much about the title.

This is where it was mentioned a couple of years back; someone had written down Eno's notes from different sessions from one of his notepads that was displayed during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame U2 exhibition. Interestingly, White City is also there, which became Disappearing Act. I suppose that's how they rediscovered Return of The Stingray Guitar; while putting together the 25th anniversary remaster edition. That's of course pure speculation on my part.

The Unforgettable Fire Songs
· White City
· Celtic Trap
· Bird Whistle
· Return of Sting Ray Guitar
· African Sunrise (described as “filler”) -aka: Spirits Of The Rising Sun [Probably “THREE SUNRISES”?]
· 3 Minutes to Midnight
· Percussion #1 and #2
· French Song
· Slow Drive
(“Refer to ‘Wire’ dream section for ideal bass sound -Adam”)

Source: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/musical-tally-from-behind-sessions-96182.html#post1713281

I wonder if Celtic Trap became Bass Trap, and Percussion 1 and 2 became Boomerang 1 and 2.

I think Willie Williams said in his diary that the melody for Stingray was "born" earlier this year, but I don't know much about the title.
Yeah..he mentioned 'Stingray' in his diary titled 'Groundhog Day'.

"Gavin Friday is with us and made an interesting proposal today. Back in February at a meeting in New York, Bono played me a mad instrumental piece with the suitably loopy title of The Return of the Stingray Guitar. I'd completely forgotten about it until Gav suggested that the band walk on stage to Space Oddity then play this piece live. Consequently, we found ourselves rehearsing yet another possible show opening. It's a completely mental piece of music - like Marc Bolan channelling Brian Eno on Juke Box Jury - and it sounds fantastic over the P.A. Bono was running round the outer ring chanting 'Torino...Torino...' and suddenly you could see that there was no way back."

U2 > Sign In

· African Sunrise (described as “filler”) -aka: Spirits Of The Rising Sun [Probably “THREE SUNRISES”?]

The Three Sunrises instantly brightens up my day whenever I hear it. More filler please :drool:

Back
Top Bottom