Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's Chris Martin for sure. I'm close to a couple of Coldplay associated people (I work a few steps away from their London studios) and I had it confirmed today. It was done at Electric Lady studios a while back.

The beginning and end "'haunting style' backing vocals are him all over. I believe he was also in the room clapping along with the rest on Tuesday night.

This one brings back the landscapes of the unforgettable fire (the album). There's something about it that makes me relate it to bad (the song).

Great to see that the band is still able to write songs that come directly from the heart without any concern if it has potential to be a hit. It's songs like this that make people connect to u2 instead of enjoying u2.

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using U2 Interference mobile app

This is this albums Ultraviolet IMO - won' be a single but over time will etch its way into all U2 fans sub-conscience :heart:

The echoey vocals in the background toward the end of the song remind me a lot of Tomorrow. Does anyone else get that, or am I reading something into the song that isn't really there?

It made me cry. Bono has never talked about his mother so blatantly (at least since "Tomorrow") and he even uses her name this time, which surprised me. He must be at the point where he can talk more openly about her in the lyrics.

It's Chris Martin for sure. I'm close to a couple of Coldplay associated people (I work a few steps away from their London studios) and I had it confirmed today. It was done at Electric Lady studios a while back.

The beginning and end "'haunting style' backing vocals are him all over. I believe he was also in the room clapping along with the rest on Tuesday night.

This one did have a Coldplay feel to it on the "something in your eyes" part.

It made me cry. Bono has never talked about his mother so blatantly (at least since "Tomorrow") and he even uses her name this time, which surprised me. He must be at the point where he can talk more openly about her in the lyrics.

Me too, by far the most emotional song in a very long time. The way he sings "Iris, Iris" is haunting me.
AB meets October meets UF..... I love it!!!!!!!

Free yourself to be yourself
(if only you could see yourself)

And yet again he expresses something that has affected so many of us. Something you probably don't go around shouting but is always there in the back of your mind. The wish that a departed loved one can see their influence and what you've become. A simple lyric that affects me deeply. Thanks for shouting it for me.

This song is getting better and better every time I hear it. Very good riff and some of the lyrics hit me like a brick.

dgfhfcfv_zps7b035540.gif

F*ck you nail it every time! :lol::applaud:

There really needs to be an emoji for spitting out your coffee.

Here's the best bit that's going to make heads explode:

The song itself was raising questions from Coldplayers (EDIT..."Coldplayers"?) who picked up the similar vibe from the start and ending of ‘Iris’, reminiscent of ‘Ghost Stories’ and more particularly the opening track from it, ‘Always In My Head’.

Check out your iTunes (I can’t help but giggle) to listen to ‘Iris (Hold Me Close)’ featuring Chris Martin now!

Emphasis mine.

F*ck you nail it every time! :lol::applaud:

There really needs to be an emoji for spitting out your coffee.

Here's the best bit that's going to make heads explode:

Hey, if they are "Coldplayers", what are we?
Iris does not sound like Always In My Head (and that's my favorite track on Ghost Stories) :no:

Iris does not sound like 'Always In My Head' (and that's my favorite track on Ghost Stories) :no:

I haven't heard Ghost Stories.

Doesn't bother me, as I generally like Martin and Coldplay. But this is likely the best song recording made with Chris Martin since 2008.

Actually, I don't mind Coldplay at all either, and I'm fine with Martin being on the record. Just think it's kind of funny considering how they seem to be regarded around here.

Anyway, it's hardly surprising, we heard the Martin rumours from last year, so it makes sense. Besides, the whole record sounds like Coldplay anyway, right? :reject:

Still having fun deconstructing all the highlights, underlines and parentheses in this post.
Quote:
The song itself was raising questions from Coldplayers (EDIT..."Coldplayers"?) who picked up the similar vibe from the start and ending of ‘Iris’, reminiscent of ‘Ghost Stories’ and more particularly the opening track from it, ‘Always In My Head’.

Check out your iTunes (I can’t help but giggle) to listen to ‘Iris (Hold Me Close)’ featuring Chris Martin now!
Emphasis mine.
It's a hailstorm of emphases!

The song is a weird combination of In God's Country and a track that could fit on Ghost Stories. I keep waiting for the dance beat to kick in.

The moment after the chorus, when Larry breaks in, i hear one of the best and most confident interactions between the Edge and Adam.

When I first heard Martin might be on the album I thought it would be more of a duet. If this is all we had to bear from him I look at this as a positive.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom