Invisible and Songs of Innocence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same for me. I don't care for The Miracle as an album opener, but Invisible really would knock the album off to a good start. I push The Miracle to track 2.

Sometimes I also feel like California could've switched places with The Miracle and I might have preferred that listing as well. California/EBW sounds a little smoother together than Miracle/EBW, just for me personally.

Totally agree. Miracle doesn't do it for me as #1. Prefer California and EBW. However,
Invisible would be my choice to lead off the album and the tour. It has such a rockin sound and lifts you off your feet live. I hope it opens the tour, but have a feeling it'll be Miracle.

How does a song about an Irish band's first trip to California make sense as the opener to an album that features Dublin so much?

And I've tried Invisible to open before, and it sure sounds great, but because the rest of the album doesn't really contain more nods to that Kraftwerk/Joy Division song, it's too misrepresentative to introduce the whole thing.

Not in that direction but a lot of the album is synth-heavy.

Miracle is not a good representation of the album, at all.

Not in that direction but a lot of the album is synth-heavy.

Miracle is not a good representation of the album, at all.

The synth is used more as a layer underneath the other songs as opposed to being featured. Clear difference.

The Miracle is a slickly produced pop rock song with a crunchy riff, and while perhaps not something you hear much again, its directness and accessibility are is why it's in the #1 slot. And I think for an album that has been designed to be less obscure and searching than No Line, it's in keeping with the overall approach.

If the audience would chant the "there is no them" bit at the end of the song, it would make a nice transition into WTSHNN.

We saw what happened when Bono tried to get audiences to sing along to Unknown Caller.

It's maybe better to stick to older songs when trying that kind of thing.

I don't think I'd heard Invisible more than once since March 1 until I bought the deluxe SOI last week! It wasn't that I didn't like the song, I loved it when it came out Super Bowl Sunday and couldn't get enough. I didn't think it was Earth-shattering, but I thought it had a lot of potential. I think maybe I got disappointed very quickly after Jimmy Fallon's opening night because we didn't hear anything but more delays and the usual from U2. I quickly abandoned the song and said "don't care, I'll enjoy the back catalog and try not to think of them giving us 2 great but not masterpiece worthy songs and then going away again forever."

That was my thinking. The one time I heard Invisible after this, it randomly came on some obscure Boston radio station back in May. When I heard it on the hidden track, I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY!!!! Much better than I remembered it being and I got the same feeling I did when I heard it the first time.My only criticism is the drums and that hasn't changed since I first heard it. Either way, what a spectacular song!! I wish it had caught on more, and in my opinion, if it had real drums, it would be very hard to keep this out of top tier U2 category. As is, it approaches that.

I don't care that it wasn't on SOI, but it definitely could've been. My favorites are Reach Me Now, Raised By Wolves, Iris and California and Invisible is at or close to that level to my ears. This band, and now this 2014 era, just had so many excellent songs!

Invisible had a time, place, and purpose. It is redundant and unnecessary as a hidden track.

Back
Top Bottom