Invisible and Songs of Innocence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Invisible on physical release " in some form" according to Fanning interview.

Acoustic Invisible sounds terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono sounds unsure of what version of Invisible of will be on the bonus disc, like it's all still up in the air. Yet here in Australia we will have the album in our hands October 10th, less than 3 weeks away. I'm pretty sure the tracklisting would have been decided a while back.
An acoustic version would be underwhelming. Chalk up another vote here for the original, unedited version.

See the thing I think is that 'Invisible' is a cool song and it's a fine standalone single (as things worked out). And that's cool w me, cos they have a long history of cool non-album singles; from 'A Celebration' to 'HMTMKMKM' to 'Electronical Sturm'. All awesome tunes. Among others. 'invisible could stand proud w those tunes. No problem.

And SoI is pretty tight. It's really sequenced pretty nicely.

But I just listened to the album starting w 'Invisible' on accident. And it totally changed the feeling of Miracle. Suddenly Miracle felt heavier. It reminded me of how 'We Are The Pigs' hits on DogManStar by Suede.

And that's a real good thing. Woo hoo.

WOW. I'm amazed to come across someone who remembers this gem from the 90s!! :wave:
Surely one of the finest albums of the decade, and definitely my favourite of theirs.

Just like you, I'm of the opinion that Invisible would have made a brilliant opener. Although it's true that the production would make it feel a little out of balance, sonically. I would rather replace The Miracle for Invisible, as The Miracle (to me) is the weakest track of the album. I just cannot warm up to this song (yet?), so I would have no problem discarding it, but you're right: being preceded by Invisible, the mood of The Miracle does indeed change...

I still believe it's boring, though, but let's see what this modified tracklist is capable of doing to my ears in the runs to come...

Maybe Invisible will be exactly that, a hidden invisible track, as it doesn't appear on any of the track lists, yet Bono says it will be on the physical release.

I found a new spot for the song. It actually works really well between Song For Someone and Iris.

Seriously. Try it.

I could kind of see that.

But I still don't like EBW right after The Miracle.

Really want to move it further down into the album, but I'm going to wait until the two new songs before any further experimentation.

Plus, keep in mind we'll likely have a longer Invisible that might change things.

I could kind of see that.

But I still don't like EBW right after The Miracle.

Really want to move it further down into the album, but I'm going to wait until the two new songs before any further experimentation.

Plus, keep in mind we'll likely have a longer Invisible that might change things.

I hope we have a longer version!

Invisible opens up the tour mark it down

I'd be shocked personally if they led the tour with a song they didn't feel was worthy of launching or making the album.

I don't think they consider invisible not part of the album

Number of tracks per record

11: Boy, October, JT, ATYCLB, HTDAAB*, NLOTH, SOI

10: War, TUF, Zooropa

12: AB, Pop

And R&H, without the covers, previous songs, street songs and anthems, are 10.

So, something I've thought a lot, is what with U2 an the 11 tracks albums?
Any guesses?
Specially the last 4 records.
Why 11?
Why not a round number like 10? or a Par like 12?
In a-sides /b-sides, are they tellling something?
Am I just nuts?

Isn't it more to do with the fact that Bono doesn't like long albums, and they generally average just over 4 minutes per song? Less 12s because that would make the album too long. Less 10s because after waiting so long, especially lately, that would feel a bit abbreviated as a way of displaying their work.

Number of tracks per record

11: Boy, October, JT, ATYCLB, HTDAAB*, NLOTH, SOI

10: War, TUF, Zooropa

12: AB, Pop

And R&H, without the covers, previous songs, street songs and anthems, are 10.

So, something I've thought a lot, is what with U2 an the 11 tracks albums?
Any guesses?
Specially the last 4 records.
Why 11?
Why not a round number like 10? or a Par like 12?
In a-sides /b-sides, are they tellling something?
Am I just nuts?

I'm sure there must be a symbolic meaning, but I don't know what it is. They do seem to like 11 tracks. It seems to be the target number.

Achtung Baby and Pop had 12 tracks and they weren't long enough in my opinion and I wish they would go back to 12 tracks.

Achtung Baby and Pop had 12 tracks and they weren't long enough in my opinion and I wish they would go back to 12 tracks.

I usually end up making playlists/ mix tapes with the B-sides and such mixed in, so I'm all for breaking past the 11 or 12 barriers. I expect that every time I listen to Soi I will be listening to all 23 tracks plus Ordinary Love. It will be a double album for me.

Also, Bomb and HTDAAB are definitely a lot better if you pretend that the bonus tracks, TGBHF and Fast Cars, that we got in the UK weregenuine tracks 12s.

But we have a deluxe version of SOI coming - extra tracks and acoustic versions - it's Christmas here for me!!

Back
Top Bottom