invent songs for the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
it's a slow time for album news, so I thought it might be interesting to make up some imaginary songs for the next album. a bit of harmless fun, y'know? or perhaps take unreleased song titles, and pretend you know what they sound like.
here's my take:

North Star
Album begins with a lone guitar figure that weaves itself into your conciousness, similar in style to the guitar that ends of Your Blue Room. This turns into a familiar sounding Edge riff which he'll repeat for much of the song's verses.
Enter huge organ, bass and drums. Stately beat, but uptempo, ala The Wanderer. Organ figure lends great gravity to the mood.
Bono is the last to come in. There's a very distinct melody, melancholy, but very catchy. It'll be described by fans and critics as haunting.
Chorus brings a careening vocal line, nothing too long or complex. Bono just sings "you are... my north star" and Edge's riff changes to an ethereal effect, one we haven't heard before, that evokes a feeling of infinity, and transcendence.
The ending of the song gives us a cascading solo from Edge. Think of a slightly longer version of the solo in When I Look at the World. This ends at along with the bass and drums, leaving only the organ drone, and the song fades into nothingness.

Pitchfork will hate the song. The rest of us will rejoice.

Your turn!

BULLDOZER

Adam's bass just sounds epic, throbbing and making the speakers shake in my house. The bass fades to a crystal thin guitar line from Edge with only a high hat from Larry. Bono plays a hard acoustic guitar. He sings about pushing and digging to find the root of people's sin. The chorus is "Why must an act of a bulldozer change your heart?".........BOOM Adams bass comes back in full force leaving the other band members behind...Edge then competes with Adam in a kind of thrashing and pulling back and forth....digging deep like a bulldozer..........you know that kind of song about a stubborn asshole who won't change his mind about anything because he is stuck in his ways.....

Swan269 said:
BULLDOZER

Adam's bass just sounds epic, throbbing and making the speakers shake in my house. The bass fades to a crystal thin guitar line from Edge with only a high hat from Larry. Bono plays a hard acoustic guitar. He sings about pushing and digging to find the root of people's sin. The chorus is "Why must an act of a bulldozer change your heart?".........BOOM Adams bass comes back in full force leaving the other band members behind...Edge then competes with Adam in a kind of thrashing and pulling back and forth....digging deep like a bulldozer..........you know that kind of song about a stubborn asshole who won't change his mind about anything because he is stuck in his ways.....

I can picture this in my head, and I wish it were possible for U2 to make songs like that anymore. Great description... at least I can hear it in my head!!!

Swan269 said:
BULLDOZER

This desc without Acoustic Guitar , sounds like Native Son

J_NP said:

This desc without Acoustic Guitar , sounds like Native Son

Wasn't really thinking of that song but maybe a more organic "I'm not your baby"

redhotswami said:

we should really keep that up, and post it everywhere. maybe it'll get a mention in the next album. like the juggernaut bitch did in X3.

Why not have a song called "I'm The Juggernaut Bitch?"

Don't you know who I ammmm????

The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...

:drool:

elevated_u2_fan said:

The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...

Ah Charles noooooooooooo
My motherfucking helmet

elevated_u2_fan said:

The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...
The Juggernaut bitch...

:lol:

What the fuck is this shittt, the Edge?

LemonMacPhisto said:

What the fuck is this shittt, the Edge?

Charles Imma beat yo ass!
you ready?

"you ready?" has delay on it so it plays around 5 times slowly fading each time

redhotswami said:

how about you guys mix this and make it happen. then send it to u2 and tell them their work is done.

get me paul oakenfold.

Lead me in the Way I should Go

an atomic bomb leftover, this song opens with a bass drum and a murky wah-wah from edge. A light piano is a stark contrast over the rhythm guitar and low key drum from Larry. Adam doesn't come in until the second verse with Larry resuming his usual duites behind the kit. Edge tones give way after the murky wah wah in the second verse as well as his voice harmonizes with Bono with the chorus "and though the dark surrounds me...the light leads me in the way I should go..........." The middle eight takes Bono into the same territory as "blue room" but he is conversing with God, not a woman...the song is Eno like but no keyboards heard in this one, just the hard notes of the piano fade over the return of Larry's bass drum......

Swan269 said:
Lead me in the Way I should Go

an atomic bomb leftover, this song opens with a bass drum and a murky wah-wah from edge. A light piano is a stark contrast over the rhythm guitar and low key drum from Larry. Adam doesn't come in until the second verse with Larry resuming his usual duites behind the kit. Edge tones give way after the murky wah wah in the second verse as well as his voice harmonizes with Bono with the chorus "and though the dark surrounds me...the light leads me in the way I should go..........." The middle eight takes Bono into the same territory as "blue room" but he is conversing with God, not a woman...the song is Eno like but no keyboards heard in this one, just the hard notes of the piano fade over the return of Larry's bass drum......

I'm spacing out...but wasnt there a beach clip that had the lyrics something like "And in the night ____ __ __ ___, and in the day __ ___ ___ ___." Your summary just reminded me of that...

Yesterday and Tomorrow

a classic U2 mid-tempo number with a small twist. In a reach back to the live performance of "40", Adam Clayton takes the lead guitar on this track. Bono on rhythm guitar and Edge on piano allow Adam to play similiar type slide style like "40" but he also plays some power chords to give the song some depth. Gavin Friday gets credit on this track for an echo effect put onto the piano that resonates low tones like a bass but doesn't overide the other instruments. The chorus rises up over the foundation with ".......keeping her close in order to reach her, her eyes look so far away.........."

Back
Top Bottom