Interesting Hotpress editor comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

standrums

War Child
..."'Get On Your Boots' is a great opening salvo from what is a brilliant album," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes commented. "No Line On The Horizon is a huge record, full of big songs, powerful riffs and superb musicianship. It's more musically diverse that any U2 album since Rattle And Hum, mixing hard rock, psychedelia, pop, electronica, dance, folk, country, spiritual music and orchestral shadings in what is a fantastically heady brew. It will certainly challenge U2 fans, but my guess is that they'll ultimately be inspired. It's going to be a massive record. I can't wait to hear the songs live."

Ireland leads the way with new U2 album

Hey! Interference is back! :dance:

About the comments: dabiggestu2fan already posted my thoughts. :applaud:

It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women.

:love:

I'm just curious as to how all these different styles can make a cohesive album.

think, Revolver:

Taxman: rock n roll
Eleanor Rigby: orchestral folk
Here, There & Everywhere: near jazz standard
YellowSub: pop
Got to get you into my life: motown-esque soul
For no one: dreamy ballad
Tomorrow never knows: experimental
etc

of course, this is Revolver, and every song is killer. my point is that they are very different songs, what makes it cohesive is the undeniable beatleness of it all

think, Revolver:

Taxman: rock n roll
Eleanor Rigby: orchestral folk
Here, There & Everywhere: near jazz standard
YellowSub: pop
Got to get you into my life: motown-esque soul
For no one: dreamy ballad
Tomorrow never knows: experimental
etc

of course, this is Revolver, and every song is killer. my point is that they are very different songs, what makes it cohesive is the undeniable beatleness of it all

Excellent thought. Maybe now we know what that guy from O2 arena said when he thought No Line reminded him of the Beatles at "their height".

Also, Yellow Submarine is a bit of a clever, charming throwaway. Boots anyone?

I'm just curious as to how all these different styles can make a cohesive album.

That's my fear, too. It's certainly possible despite the variety of genres. But to compare it to R&H---that's the least cohesive in the catalog. :yikes:

I still think it'll be great, though...I mean, they've all been commenting about how they wanted to make a really cohesive group of songs.

i will be interested to hear some hype from press and/or personalities that have no pre-existing or close relationship with the band. isn't Hot Press always in U2's camp to some degree? notwithstanding, those comments are really good to hear.

"It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women."

I feel like with that one line from the Edge the lyrics of the song have become 1000X clearer for me.

That's my fear, too. It's certainly possible despite the variety of genres. But to compare it to R&H---that's the least cohesive in the catalog. :yikes:

Yeah but you take the live stuff of of Rattle & Hum and it's fine.

Radiohead always looked at Ok Computer as their Revolver. I really hope U2 is as well. That's my fav Beatles album and I don't even like Yellow Submarine that much.

Yeah, me, too.

Plus, they forgot to mention opera. The opera is the only thing that's interesting for me.

:wink:

GREAT article, very excited. :up:

It will "challenge U2 fans" ... ok, I'm going to brace myself for some heavy arguments on this board, I'm sure the GOYB discussion was only a litle appetizer for what to expect.

Bono has been annoying me more than ever lately in the public eye, hopefully he will redeem himself with some raging vocals. Cant wait to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom