insight into a couple new/unreleased tunes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
from atu2. an interview with journalist who first spoke about "sacred heart of maliubu"

At the end of the book, you mention some more songs besides "Mother Of Pearl," "Glastonbury" and "The Sacred Heart Of Malibu." These songs were still a work in progress, but could you tell a bit about how they sounded? One was an instrumental outtake from No Line On The Horizon.

It was a riff being played over and over; it sounded like a Velvet Underground song, but played by better musicians. It was medium tempo; it went on and on, not in 4/4.

[In the last chapter of the book, the author describes how he sang background vocals with Niall Stokes on a recording of "Glastonbury" in Edge's home studio.] I sang background on what was "Glastonbury," but now they play it totally differently. The line I sang was, "I was born, born to fly!" but it isn't in the song anymore. The funny thing was, the day before, I was in a pub with someone who asked me if I'd ever met Niall Stokes. I hadn't. "Well," he says, "I can introduce you." Next day I was standing next to him singing in the microphone!

It's always difficult to say how songs turn out, because unreleased music changes all the time with U2.

Anton [Corbijn] was upset with the fact that they let him make a movie and then turned the whole record around. They took some songs out and put some new songs in. He was supposed to make a movie with the songs in the order of the album. I'm sure there were some words between them. Anton has a great sense of humor, but when it concerns his work….

This is a really cool read :up:
I love how they got random journalists to do the backing vocals of Glastonbury. I'm sure it didn't end up in the final version, but it shows how cool u2 are that they record stuff with their mates, even if it's just for the hell of it.
I'm more curious than ever about what mother of pearl and Malibu sounded like, although it's likely that they'll never see the light of day now :( I wonder though, were these songs out-takes from NLOTH, or all-new songs with Danger Mouse?

This is a really cool read :up:
I love how they got random journalists to do the backing vocals of Glastonbury. I'm sure it didn't end up in the final version, but it shows how cool u2 are that they record stuff with their mates, even if it's just for the hell of it.
I'm more curious than ever about what mother of pearl and Malibu sounded like, although it's likely that they'll never see the light of day now :( I wonder though, were these songs out-takes from NLOTH, or all-new songs with Danger Mouse?

U2 Songs tend to get shelved for a long time and brought back (ex's: Wake Up Dead Man (1991 released 1997), Mercy (2004 to 2010), North Star (2004-2010), etc.

I would love just to know how many projects are out there. By my count and some of these could be repeats, theyve got 7

1) left over NLOTH = SOA (Winter, Soon, EBW, North Star probably). Remember these? we used to drool over them...
2) Work from winter 2009-2010 (glastonbury, probably Mercy reworking) reportedly rocknroll as demonstrated by glastonbury. material apparently inspired by the tour itself
3) Rick Rubin (forgot this existed?) material like Window and Saints, yes it has been shelved, but a whole album apparently ready to go. bread and butter 2000s sound
4) the First of the dance albums, the one that was described a while back by Bono as having "big guitars" where edge was the star. probably vertigo style maybe.
5) Will.i.am. and the remixes of Grace. Maybe work for a best of 2000-2010. who knows
6) Spiderman. They should release Boy Falls as a single and step away.
7) Danger Mouse work, which could be the return of #4 and this one seems to be getting the most attention right now. My really unprofessional opinion thinks this album may sound along the lines of something like Lady with the spinning head?

and of course there is remaining random songs: stingray, sacred heart of malibu, mother of pearl

frankly i wouldnt mind some of the glasto sounding, with SOA material, and maybe some danger mouse.

did i miss anything?

I would love just to know how many projects are out there. By my count and some of these could be repeats, theyve got 7

1) left over NLOTH = SOA (Winter, Soon, EBW, North Star probably). Remember these? we used to drool over them...
2) Work from winter 2009-2010 (glastonbury, probably Mercy reworking) reportedly rocknroll as demonstrated by glastonbury. material apparently inspired by the tour itself
3) Rick Rubin (forgot this existed?) material like Window and Saints, yes it has been shelved, but a whole album apparently ready to go. bread and butter 2000s sound
4) the First of the dance albums, the one that was described a while back by Bono as having "big guitars" where edge was the star. probably vertigo style maybe.
5) Will.i.am. and the remixes of Grace. Maybe work for a best of 2000-2010. who knows
7) Danger Mouse work, which could be the return of #4 and this one seems to be getting the most attention right now. My really unprofessional opinion thinks this album may sound along the lines of something like Lady with the spinning head?

and of course there is remaining random songs: stingray, sacred heart of malibu, mother of pearl

frankly i wouldnt mind some of the glasto sounding, with SOA material, and maybe some danger mouse.

did i miss anything?

ut oh

did i miss anything?

This just means that U2 are hoarders.

from atu2. an interview with journalist who first spoke about "sacred heart of maliubu"

At the end of the book, you mention some more songs besides "Mother Of Pearl," "Glastonbury" and "The Sacred Heart Of Malibu." These songs were still a work in progress, but could you tell a bit about how they sounded? One was an instrumental outtake from No Line On The Horizon.

It was a riff being played over and over; it sounded like a Velvet Underground song, but played by better musicians. It was medium tempo; it went on and on, not in 4/4.

• An instrumental outtake from No Line On The Horizon
  • Medium tempo
  • It went on and on
  • Not in 4/4

I'm thinking this might be that little rocking number we first heard from Fez with Eno/Lanois in the Riad courtyard?:hmm:
iconBlueCheck.gif
It was instrumental from what we heard, except for some ad libs from Bono in the Here Is What Is clip.
iconBlueCheck.gif
It wasn't really fast like Get On Your Boots but neither slow like White As Snow so I suppose that's a medium tempo but that could be anything in-between the two.
iconBlueCheck.gif
They bascially played the same riff repeated over and over, right?
iconBlueCheck.gif
It was not in 4/4 but 6/8 if I recall correctly (like Acrobat, Breathe and the intro to Streets)

If not that, maybe that Mariachi song?

Then again, I haven't a clue what Velvet Underground sounds like?:shrug:

did i miss anything?

1) It clearly exists but U2 won't release it for now, Bono has said.
2) That I think might be start of the Rock album i.e. The Danger Mouse album. Could possibly be something completely different as there was talk about electronica/folk music sound at the time.
3) and 4) is the same thing I think, both part of the Rubin sessions as those were described as "a rocking club album with beats and big guitars". Could possibly have been split into the Danger Mouse album and the new club album with Guetta, RedOne and Will.i.am respectively.
5) The New club album with aforementioned producers at the helm. Didn't that tweet about Grace and All I Want Is You remixes turn out to be a hoax, or is this something else?
6) Spider-Man has been released at this point and the show has opened, at long last! Thus, I don't think they would bother releasing a U2 interpretation of the songs.
7) The New Rock album.

All in all we have 4 projects that we know for sure exists in some shape: Danger Mouse, Guetta/RedOne/Will.i.am, Songs of Ascent and Rick Rubin.

In addition, French fan site u2achtung claimed the Danger Mouse record had the working title Project Zero One and possibly another new record project (?) but details were very vague at the time of the report.

Then there's the songs you mention; The Sacred Heart of Malibu, Mother of Pearl and also an untitled "eurodisco" song which we don't know if they belong to the club album or the Danger Mouse album or something different again. Then we have the mysterious U2esque title "Wake Up And Dream" from that Julian Lennon photo in Nice, album name or song title?

Return of The Stingray Guitar might've been a leftover from The Unforgettable Fire Sessions as someone pointed out before. I don't see a proper release for that one in the future.
Glastonbury however might either end up on the Danger Mouse record or being released as a single on it's own. Then again, Bono said none of the 12-13 songs they have with Burton have instrumentation on yet.

Then again, I haven't a clue what Velvet Underground sounds like?:shrug:

That can be corrected. :)
They are a highly influential band from the Sixties, originally quite underground, but nowadays everybody is citing them as an influence. And yes, their songs quite often had some droning riffs.

Here's an example:
(don't look too much in the experimental (i.e. headache inducing) filming, it's the audio that is important :) )
YouTube - ‪Velvet Underground - I´m Waiting For The Man‬‏

That can be corrected. :)
They are a highly influential band from the Sixties, originally quite underground, but nowadays everybody is citing them as an influence. And yes, their songs quite often had some droning riffs.

Here's an example:
(don't look too much in the experimental (i.e. headache inducing) filming, it's the audio that is important :) )
YouTube - ‪Velvet Underground - I´m Waiting For The Man‬‏

Oooooh :doh: So we should expect a Snow Patrol-sound, then? ;)

YouTube - ‪Snow Patrol - Chocolate‬‏

So probably not the Riad Rock bit then...:hmm: I wonder what it might be then, perhaps Welcome that Lanois spoke about in his book.

wow I forgot how terrible snow patrol are!!

my favourite velvets song:

YouTube - ‪The Velvet Underground - Stephanie Says‬‏

This one is good too!

YouTube - ‪The Velvet Underground - Lady Godiva's Operation‬‏

And so is this! This might be the best...the guitar solo is mind shredding, and the the organ takes over and the rhythm is strong enough to hold a thousand suns

YouTube - ‪Velvet Underground What Goes On‬‏

It would be great is Bono wasn't such a useless guitar player, it would be amazing live if he could just hammer away while Edge goes far out

Back
Top Bottom