Insider U2 news!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yea man, next time i go on a ritzy rah rah vacation im going to tuck a minidisc recorder and microphone in my borat style speedo.

:lmao: what an image :shudder: :D

is it just me or is it kinda bizarre to play your own album at your birthday bash? (oaky, maybe it is just me :reject: ) aneeeeeeeewayz sooooooo excited about the new album :hyper:

:lmao: what an image :shudder: :D

is it just me or is it kinda bizarre to play your own album at your birthday bash? (oaky, maybe it is just me :reject: ) aneeeeeeeewayz sooooooo excited about the new album :hyper:

if it was a brilliant album than i would...just to show off :D

MORE COMMENTS, I have translated them (I am native French speaker so you can trust it ;)

I've been reading the whole thread over at U2achtung, and what happened is that 3 people were on the Eze beach last night and they were posting impressions as it went from their cell phones, but no one had any recording devices. Actually a few people from the forum seem to have heard songs on the Eze beach in the past week or so, I really don't think this is bullshit. Their impressions seemed to be really good. After the first guy posted in response to someone's question about 'innovation', saying that it was not necessarily revolutionary, another poster started complaining that all the stuff about the album being innovative was bullshit etc, then the main guy who heard the songs ('fredo') came back and said he was quite impressed with the songs and there is no reason to worry, especially before having heard anything.

Then another poster who also heard the songs said the following:

'Really too good what we had the luck of hearing tonight, the album is looking really good! Hard to describe because I am on my mobile. But really (to the person who was complaining) wait until you hear it before reacting like that because tonight 4 fans had an amazing time! Personally I was hooked by every song I heard!'

Then 'fredo' came back and said this:

'More details on the evening:
Since we had only heard a few recording sessions and seeing that The Edge's birthday party was being organised at Bono's house (decorated Mexican Hacienda style), we thought this was a good time to have a chance to hear something more 'complete'. So we decided to do a little pic-nic on the beach

Around 10:30pm, there was only 4 of us on the beach, and all of a sudden the music started blasting out and we recognised right away the 'U2 touch', a mix of familiar sounds ('Pop' for the bass, 'Vertigo' for Bono's signing/pronounciation, Lady with the Spinning Head for the guitar, etc.) We could hear perfectly well, the sea was calm, the crickets were not singning and the sound was very clear.

At the end of the song there was a firework from a small boat on the water. The Edge came on the patio (wearing a sombrero) with Morleigh. At the end of the firework, we couldn't help but to sing him Happy Birthday, and he thanked us.
Then nothing for a little while.

Then the music started blasting again, the same song. We noted that 'Sexy Boots' comes back a lot in the lyrics. We heard it 5 times during the evening. I can't really describe it precisely. All I can say is that it's a mix of traditional rock with quite a modern sound.

We heard Moment of Surrender (I am guessing it is that one because the word surrender comes back a few times). We heard it twice. Like I said it starts a little bit like Stuck but less cheasy/poppy. But the end of this song is truly magnificent with long, beautiful guitar parts.

We also heard 5 other songs, one time each. Hard to remember all of it, the only thing I can recall is that there were keyboard and synth sounds that I have never heard from U2, and one song starts with a slightly african sounding rythm. Actually I remember from time to time Larry's playing was quite at the forefront.

So of course, it seems like U2's new album might not create a revolution in rock history. But they seem to have moved away from what they had been doing since 2000.

Another thing is there was lots of guitars in what we heard, and that without being radically different (you have to keep the U2 style) there is a freshness in the songwriting.
The sound of the songs is quite stripped down and it is not overproduced like HTDAAB. The sound is more 'rough'.

But us, out little priviledged group, only heard 7 songs and 2 short bits of other songs. Only U2 knows what the album will really be like...
'

Someone asked if what they heard sounded like the Beach Clips 2006, and the answer was:

'It had nothing to do with what we heard from the Beach Clips'

Also, he couldn't record anything because his cell phone battery was dying. But it seems like a few people from the U2achtung forum are planning to hang out at the beach so we might get something soon...

Thanks much to Mama Cass and Oceane for taking the time to translate the comments from the lucky French fans. Wish I could be there on the beach :)

Edge in the sombrero is the most interesting part of this report.

:wink:

No seriously, great news, especially the guitar parts and the African influences. Not so sure about Sexy Boots. Did the guy mean they heard it in different songs? Maybe the sexy boots will be the main theme on this album. :lol:

'Pop' for the bass, 'Vertigo' for Bono's signing/pronounciation, Lady with the Spinning Head for the guitar, etc.

The sound of the songs is quite stripped down and it is not overproduced like HTDAAB. The sound is more 'rough'.

:up:

And Moment of Surrender sounds very cool. A less cheesy and poppy Stuck is a very good Stuck.

:drool:

this info, plus the recent U2.com clip "10 to 4 in the studio" with the groovy song sample has me salivating for the new album!

I have to admit, the more subtle approach with the album hype is the way to go. I bet the band are just busting at the seems to gush over the new album and the wait to release it is killing them!

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Edge in the sombrero is the most interesting part of this report.

:wink:

No seriously, great news, especially the guitar parts and the African influences. Not so sure about Sexy Boots. Did the guy mean they heard it in different songs? Maybe the sexy boots will be the main theme on this album. :lol:

No, he meant that he heard that same song many times, and that the words 'sexy boots' comes back a lot in that song, so he thought it could be the title.

Like I've been saying, it's gonna sound alot like HTDAAB.

All this bullshit about a Moroccan trance vibe mixed with hand played electronica and the most innovative, best album........

"Moment of Surrender" starts like Stuck?
The single sounds like "Vertigo"?

I knew it.

Overreact much?

We're taking one person's take on a few songs they heard from a distance. And from what I read, that person isn't very good at describing music...

They said Bono's vocal style sounds like Vertigo, not that the entire song sounds like Vertigo. :doh: It would have made just as much sense to compare it to Lady With The Spinning Head, since that was also referenced.

Like I've been saying, it's gonna sound alot like HTDAAB.

All this bullshit about a Moroccan trance vibe mixed with hand played electronica and the most innovative, best album........

"Moment of Surrender" starts like Stuck?

I knew it.

And the problem with that is? 2 great songs!

i would not be surprised if the album had the same sound as thier last two albums, "atyclb and bomb" especially with the success coldplay has had with the new album i think u2 will stick to this simple sound.(soft,pop rock)
i think they(u2) rather sell alot of records than make something good or challenging.(considering the NEWS is true and not some bs) ok ill go throw up now.

You go do that,then stick libertad on.

(...)the only thing I can recall is that there were keyboard and synth sounds that I have never heard from U2, and one song starts with a slightly african sounding rythm.(...)

Could this be the same song that someone described as having a long intro/outro with african sounds and that Bono described to him as being 'psychadelic pop'?

They said Bono's vocal style sounds like Vertigo, not that the entire song sounds like Vertigo. :doh: It would have made just as much sense to compare it to Lady With The Spinning Head, since that was also referenced.

Or Acrobat.

you know I almost wish that we didn't have reports like this. one, it's not from anybody in the band at all. two, it's heard probably not in the best sound quality. basically eavesdropping. third, people have to interpret the lyrics as well- i'm guessing since the article / blog / whatever was written in french that they don't speak english terribly well and therefore can easily misinterpret the lyrics etc. fourth, it's just what one fan thinks. and you don't even know this person from a hole in the ground. they could have a very sheltered musical library or a really vast one. they could think Vertigo sounds like really really hard rock, and love Vertigo and think that it's up there with the Achtung Baby stuff - such as acrobat or lady with spinning head- or they could think Vertigo has a completely different feel. without being able to talk to the person, you really will have no idea what they mean by that.

it's cool to see these reports from people, but, it's just one person who you don't know and their opinion on what it sounds like. should be taken with an even lighter grain of salt than the hyperbole from the band etc.

Message des forums

U can read if u understand French the 1st reviews from 6 or 7 songs from the new album....yesterday some lucky ones have heard some new songs very clearly at Eze beach for the birthday of the Edge....no innovations from the new songs it seems...songs heard are in the vein (but better) of "Walk on" , vertigo, Stuck in the moment...!

:hmm::doh::hmm:

If this is true, then it very oddly matches a dream I had last night.

In the dream, I heard the new U2 song on the radio. It was a slower love song, but definitely a bit harder with the guitars (I guess a rock ballad - but in U2 style). Bono's vocals were soaring. In the dream, I kept thinking that while the song is O.K. (I didn't immediately love it), it wasn't nearly as "radical or innovative" as was rumored. I even thought about posting on Interference telling them I heard the song, only to realize that surely everyone else had by that time as well. And I even feard going to Intereference because I knew there'd be an uproar about how this song was hardly "innovative" and a bit too similar to ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Another odd thing in the dream - the album was actually coming out earlier - like late Sept./early Oct.

While I can dismiss most of this as just internal fears based on what I think will happen (U2 are U2 - even their most radical work has elements of U2 - and as such, it could never be "radical" enough for many fans), I found it interesting to have that dream then read this post. Hmm... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom