I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song always makes me happy. The last chorus is just so uplifting with the whole "hoo-oo-oo's" in the background while the music swells. Awesome! :D

It's to bad people have to lump Boots and Stand Up Comedy together with it, just because theyre all in the middle. This song is nothing like the other two. Hopefully it will grow over time and people wont be so turned off by its poppyness. No one does joy like U2. They always know how to make you go :yippie:

I agree....Crazy Tonight is superior to both Boots and SUC, and probably shouldn't be lumped in w/ them when people talk about the "weak part of the album"...sure, Crazy Tonight is pure pop like the other two, but is much closer in quality to a song like Beautiful Day than it is to Boots or SUC

if i don't listen to the album as a whole I find myself gravitating towards listening to this, breathe or magnificent stand alone. and this one works the best in that regard. for whatever that means.

but i do love this song a lot more than I thought i would. i actually didn't instantly like it. took me a few times to really get into it and now i love it. i can see this getting a lot of radio airplay especially over the summer. for whatever reason it seems like a summer song to me. :shrug:

It's an interesting pop song, which I like- had HTDAAB had more of those songs on, I wouldn't have complained but the problem is they remembered the "pop" part but not the "interesting".

This song is definitely climbing on my favs from this album, as with most of the album (except Boots) it getting better and better every time I listen to it.

Bollocks to all the u2 'snob fans' on this forum i still fuckin love this song :drool::drool:

Great Point :up:. It's these U2 "snobs" as you put it which makes the Band and us fans easy targets for all of the haters. I'm actually amazed every time a new U2 album comes out and I hear so much derisive feedback about the band and the new album and such. I know living in FL I'm not in the "hot beds" of U2 Fandom like the North East US, but hearing disperaging remarks even on the radio is getting old.

This song is gonna kick the Ass when it's played live (I hope) It's such a live kick butt song song I hope it shows itself live.

Something to ponder with the lyrics...

Two ways of looking at this line:

"Every beauty needs to go out with an idiot / How can you stand next to the truth and not see it"

On the surface it seems like Bono is talking about the "beauty" not being able to see the "idiot" as being an idiot....but I think it's the reverse. We all know the line, "Beauty is truth." It seems Bono could be saying that it is the idiot who cannot see the beauty next to him. Interesting....

Seriously, is this song flawless or what?

First it has a beautiful and catchy melody.
The vocals are top notch. High notes, perfect words input. And lots of emotion.
The instrumental are just perfect. Great guitar work, gorgeous solo.
The drums are energetic and has a great dry sound.
Then there is this ambience, with cello throughtout the entire song and the beautiful violin sound at the end of the "baby i'm not alone" part.
And speaking of "baby i'm not alone part", what a uplifting and emotional Bono effort.
The choruses and bridges are perfect and catchy. And finally the last and stronger chorus to make a perfect climax. Wow!

Everything is in the right place there.

It only trails Breathe as the best song on the album and probably the best pop song from any band of at least the last 10 years! :applaud:

Are you listening to this song with iPod earbuds? I agree that the song is very catchy, but it sounds horrible. The production/mixing is God-awful. Listen to the cymbals - they practically disentegrate upon impact. To quote another poster, the drums sound like a washing machine in the next room. I hope they rework this lovely tune for the single version/radio edit.

Are you listening to this song with iPod earbuds? I agree that the song is very catchy, but it sounds horrible. The production/mixing is God-awful. Listen to the cymbals - they practically disentegrate upon impact. To quote another poster, the drums sound like a washing machine in the next room. I hope they rework this lovely tune for the single version/radio edit.

I don't think it sounds as bad as a lot of people are saying but the production isn't great. Way too much compression, I wonder if that was a mixing or mastering decision though

This MUST be the next single. Radio played it when the album came out & audiences that didn't know the song responded to it when played live in March.

I try to play this song every morning on the way to work!

It's a funny thing but, though this is pitched by so many as a song that is easy to love but not worth digging much deeper into, it works in the opposite way for me. While I appreciate this song for what it is -- a catchy, tightly-crafted, efficient, well-arranged anthem about the simple pleasures of whatever "going crazy" entails -- I can't love this song. It feels cold, faceless, and more functional than transcendent in the way that so many U2 classics are. It's very nice, and on certain days I almost get caught up in it, but it's definitely not a favorite of mine.

The time that I really "got" this song was the other day on my run. I live in Boulder, CO and I like to go trail running up in the mountains. I was on some flat areas and then the song came on as I turned a corner and started running up hill. When I got to at first it wasn't very steep but it kept getting steeper and harder as I went. The lyrics just rang in my head. Then I began thinking about my life and the sacrifices I've been making. How at first they seemed like it was easy to make the decisions but when it came time to actually do it it was way harder and a much longer task that I originaly thought. But I feel the payoff in the end will be way worth it. The lyrics are simple and cheese in a way, but god, at the right time and moment they are inspiring and you feel like someone has been in your situation before and can relate. Great fucking song.

initially i didn't like it...
but now, after the live performance at Letterman or luve from Sommerville i believe that it is a perfect single for this album...

what do you think about this?will this song be the third single?

it just defines my moment in life...right now...I love it!!! :heart: :D

Me too...I have actually said to people in conversation the last few days that "ya know, I think I'm gonna go crazy if I can't go crazy tonight" whenever I am stressed...it diffuses the entire situation for me and makes me grin. I think they know what I am talking about to when I say it because they can relate..haha.

Has it been mentioned here already?

Edge in Rolling Stone discusses how this song is going to be more guitar orientated for the tour instead of being keyboard-centric on the album.

This reminds me of when I heard Stuck acoustic for the first time. Now that is a brilliant track stripped down. Maybe CT is going to take on a whole new life in the live setting with this guitar focus.

Has it been mentioned here already?

Edge in Rolling Stone discusses how this song is going to be more guitar orientated for the tour instead of being keyboard-centric on the album.

This reminds me of when I heard Stuck acoustic for the first time. Now that is a brilliant track stripped down. Maybe CT is going to take on a whole new life in the live setting with this guitar focus.

I hope they're not going to rape this tune by playing it acoustic. :huh:

It's good as it was already on the Letterman show. :up: Certainly going to be enjoyable live!

This was a real grower for me too, it's a wonderful song and can see it being a big hit, if it gets any promotion that is...

Just have never really gotten into this song. Bass is good, drums good, it's the vocals and guitar (besides the Baby Baby Baby part) are kind of weak to me.

I don't mind traditional Edge sound, but I don't like it in this song. And all the talk about Edge making it more guitar...he already has, it's the live versions you've seen, so don't expect anything different on tour (for the most part).

Yes, it's been mentioned as the possible third single and definitely should be!! It is the most radio friendly song on the album hands down.

Back
Top Bottom