I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if this has been brought up, but does The Edge's guitar tone and style at the 3 minute mark remind anyone of his part in the Christmas cover they did last December?

I just figured out what that familiar sounding recurring melody is in Crazy Tonight. It's...gasp...Journey's song Faithfully. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but holy God, I hope I can get that out of my head.

I don't know if this has been brought up, but does The Edge's guitar tone and style at the 3 minute mark remind anyone of his part in the Christmas cover they did last December?

yeah I noticed that too :hmm:

but I think it fits well

"The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear."

As much as the little voice in my head is telling me I should hate this song, I simply cannot. It's cheesy, silly, unabashed pop, and I have an absolute ball listening to it. The verse structure is almost perfect. Bono's high-pitched "crazy tonight!" made me laugh out loud when I first heard it, and it still brings a smile to my face after however many listens I've given to the album since then. As for the ABBA reference...I love the hook in "The Winner Takes It All," so hearing a similar hook here makes me enjoy the song even more.

That said, the "it's a hill not a mountain" bits don't really work for me and some of the lyrics are horrible, but that's about the only negative criticism I can give.

I just figured out what that familiar sounding recurring melody is in Crazy Tonight. It's...gasp...Journey's song Faithfully. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but holy God, I hope I can get that out of my head.

:lol:

You're right! And here I was thinking it was an ABBA reference...

the Edge solo in between the 2 chorus:drool::drool::drool:

I skimmed the 9 pages and didnt see any changes to the lyrics. if I missed it I apologize, but I think there are minor changes to the last 2 choruses that completely change their meaning. by changing the tense from past to future (You see for me I've been shouting to Listen for me I'll be shouting) he's saying he'll help his counterpart up what seems to be a mountain. and then again changing lets shout INTO the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light (from Let's shout until the darkness). this is much more positive to me, matching the music.

IT'S NOT A HILL, IT'S A MOUNTAIN
As you start out the climb
Listen for me I'll be shoutin
But we're gonna make it all the way to the light
But I know I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

Baby, baby, baby, I know I'm not alone
Baby, baby, baby, I know I'm not alone

Ha, ha, ha

(The Edge)

IT'S NOT A HILL IT'S A MOUNTAIN
As you start out the climb
Listen for me I'll be shoutin
Let's shout into the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light

also the section the original poster asked for help on:

Every generation gets a chance to change the world
Pity the nation that will listen to you, boys and girls
Beacuse the sweetest melody is the one we haven't heard
Is it true that perfect love drives out all fear?
The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear

I thought Magnificent would be their next single but I change my mind this song will be their next single. :applaud:

Magnificent will be their 3rd single. :D

This song has REALLY grown on me and I absolutely love it! I figured out what I didn't like about the song previously and what I still don't like...it's when they recite the title of the song. It sounds cheesy and tacked on. You remove the reciting of the title of this track from the song and it's a wonderful song!

This song has REALLY grown on me and I absolutely love it! I figured out what I didn't like about the song previously and what I still don't like...it's when they recite the title of the song. It sounds cheesy and tacked on. You remove the reciting of the title of this track from the song and it's a wonderful song!

This song truly rocks and is really their only second ROCKER of the album. This proves it will be the second single. Ok i'm changing this again this song will be their 2nd vid. haha Love hearing new U2. :applaud:

Sorry I screwed up this is there 3rd rocker of the album, but Fez will be their 3rd vid then Magnificent or 'I'll go crazy' :lol:

one thing that struck me on my first listen is that song 5 on this album hits me a lot like song 5 on OK Computer. i don't want to start all these comparisons, but that's just how i felt at the moment.

one thing that struck me on my first listen is that song 5 on this album hits me a lot like song 5 on OK Computer. i don't want to start all these comparisons, but that's just how i felt at the moment.

Yeah and that thread is just right because it fits the vibe of The Beatles Revolver which Radiohead was inspired by for Ok Computer.

I haven't read the whole tread, but has anyone noticed the ABBA-influence in the guitarintro? Sounds like Dancing Queen, doesn't it? Or maybe I'm wrong. I sure got the feeling from Stockholm 1992.

Can anyone explain why this, that was the song I liked the least is the one I'm hearing the most now? :applaud::hyper:

I think I'm loving it. :heart:

it's my least favorite song, but i still like it. that's how much i like this album right now.

I'm starting to find that 2.36 - 3.00 mins is my favourite part on the whole album. This would be the "baby, baby, baby..." part. The guitar after is also very cool. I have to watch I don't get too addicted to this song yet.

Does the little keyboard section after the "baby, baby, baby" parts remind anyone of the keyboard in the middle-8 of the Beatles' 'In My Life'?

Back
Top Bottom