If given a choice, what would you prefer on the new album ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also find that with the "two albums at one" time route, one album always ends up being better than the other.

Use Your Illusion I was much better than II and Lucky Town was much better than the horrid "Human Touch".

I want the new album to be an outright political one- with each track dealing with a particular socio-political issue.

I want the new album to be an outright political one- with each track dealing with a particular socio-political issue.

I heard a rumor that "Moment of Surrender" deals with the current banking crisis and fall of Freddy Mac and Fan....this is a total lie....I've heard nothing to substantiate that point. :D

Please no.

I want an album that focusses on the music. Most political songs have to have some vagueness in it to keep it from being heavy handed. Crumbs and LAPOE were often criticized for that error. At least they sounded good, but many disliked it.

U2, please DO NOT take the path of REM. People want melody and nuance.

I heard a rumor that "Moment of Surrender" deals with the current banking crisis and fall of Freddy Mac and Fan.... :D

Yeah, I just got it from my freind's ex boyfriend's aunt that they've just finished recording the song "Bailout Bill" Its a ballad about an average American bloke called Bill who's down on his luck after the latest Wall Street crisis. I hear is gonna blow some minds.

^ Totally agree. U2 is always political, they don't have to rub it into everyone's face. I like songs that can be interpreted in different ways, one of them being political.

More than 11 songs.
A duration closer to 65 minutes than 45 minutes.
Non patronizing ideas and lyrics.
Musically subtle and challenging.

or to simplify

RISK

I'll buy that one. :up:

Who am I kidding, I'm buying whatever they do anyway. But I'd prefer that one. :up:

Hello again everyone :wave:

C, but it doesn't really matter as long as it is topnotch. Considering they are all approaching 50 it will be hard enough if not impossible to do that. Still, I would love them to go out on a high and this seems the record to do it after the incoherent and rather mediocre HTTAAB. I am a bit worried that they will overproduce it again like the last album which could have been SO much better. So please guys, take a risk, no more knees and too obvious lyrics and experiment one more time like the good ol days and kick butt.

I really REALLY hope it will be a magnificent record.

Still, I would love them to go out on a high and this seems the record to do it after the incoherent and rather mediocre HTTAAB. I am a bit worried that they will overproduce it again like the last album which could have been SO much better.

I don't mean to harp on your comment, but I don't understand why people keep thinking that the last album was "overproduced" and that if it hadn't been the album would some how be "better".

The album was just good or as you so correctly put "mediocre". It wasn't great and it had nothing to do with the production.....it had to do with the weak songs. It doesn't matter if you over produce, under produce, non produce, close but no cigar produce, etc. A weak song is a weak song. THAT'S what made the album a dissapointment in my opinion. There were a couple of near misses that could have been great, but had weak lyrics: COBL, Miracle Drug, OOTS, and Love & Peace. Edge, Adam, and Especially Larry were fantastic on the last album. It was Bono who stunk it up. I think the main reason for that was that he was traveling all over the globe trying to save the world instead of writing great songs.

I don't see that happening on this album, which gives me hope that they nailed it this time.

Again, I'm not looking to jump all over your comment...I just felt that my comment would be somewhat relevant to this thread as a result.

It was Bono who stunk it up. I think the main reason for that was that he was traveling all over the globe trying to save the world instead of writing great songs.

Yep. Let's hope that him consciously limiting such efforts will be the X factor that takes Irish Democracy to another level.

I don't mean to harp on your comment, but I don't understand why people keep thinking that the last album was "overproduced" and that if it hadn't been the album would some how be "better".

Again, I'm not looking to jump all over your comment...I just felt that my comment would be somewhat relevant to this thread as a result.

No problem.:up:

I thought I covered the weak lyrics department with the "knees" remark. I agree with the songwritingpart I disagree on the productionpart. The sound was dreadfull, the mix a joke. It sounded like it was produced in a tincan. The widespace sound that they were able to produce with UF, JT and AB for instance was gone and eventhough Larry's drumparts were pretty good he was hardly audible. When I hear COBL on the record for instance I miss the edginess(no punn intended) of the live-versions. It sounds like he has been muted by someone (hard to explain). I really think that the only one that really stood out on the record and was captured in a good way was Adam. Even the guitarparts from Edge were very and I mean very plain for his standards. Unimaginative almost. Come to think about it: I REALLY dislike bomb lol.

This album should be good however and after hearing the production Eno has done with Coldplay recently I am not to worried actually.

No problem.:up:

I thought I covered the weak lyrics department with the "knees" remark. I agree with the songwritingpart I disagree on the productionpart. The sound was dreadfull, the mix a joke. It sounded like it was produced in a tincan. The widespace sound that they were able to produce with UF, JT and AB for instance was gone and eventhough Larry's drumparts were pretty good he was hardly audible. When I hear COBL on the record for instance I miss the edginess(no punn intended) of the live-versions. It sounds like he has been muted by someone (hard to explain). I really think that the only one that really stood out on the record and was captured in a good way was Adam. Even the guitarparts from Edge were very and I mean very plain for his standards. Unimaginative almost. Come to think about it: I REALLY dislike bomb lol.

This album should be good however and after hearing the production Eno has done with Coldplay recently I am not to worried actually.

Well if it means anything, its seems like the new trend in music mixing is to mix everything high and not leave the room for your ear to hear the differences between sounds. I think this was very evident on Metallica's latest effort. Everything sounds way too loud and jumbled. Thats exactly the same thing that happened on HTDAAB. Its actually quite sad and lazy of the production crew to agree to do that.

That being said, I could get around that whole issue when listening to the album. I don't think thats the main reason why the album is mediocre...it only further excacerbates the mediocrity.

You really think Edge's guitar parts are bad? really? I don't think they're his best ever, but I don't think they're bad. I actually like some of the sounds he gets on that album....even if the mix sucks. Crumbs, COBL, L&POE, Vertigo, & ABOY have great guitar licks in them IMO. I think the mix hurts, but the poor lyrics are the main culprit.

IDK, everything that I'm hearing about this next album is pointing to a nice consistent marriage of singing, song writing and musicianship. So we should be getting a treat....even if the final mix will probably suck. :wink:

If anyone, Edge was lazy on Bomb.

While nothing amazing considering his past and despite some weak lines, I'd still take the overall Bomb lyrics over ATYCLB.

U2Girl, sorry, I can't stand for that. I have to stick up for the one guy who keeps this band from being utter shit these days.

If anyone? Try the members of the band who couldn't write a lick to save their lives.
I'm sure Larry had to arduously plot out his 4/4 automaton rhythm for the 11th straight album. Adam, root notes again. I could have written and recorded every single bass line on that album in 24 hours. And I am an average bassist.

The main songwriter for the band, who most likely labored more than any other single individual on that album, was "lazy"? In fact, it seems he had to write two albums.
I wish I were as lazy as him.

U2 got the sound that they collectively wanted.
Edge sounds like he's handcuffed, because he is.
By those other twats.

Read: dumbed down so Larry could hear it played on his local jukebox.

Adam added nothing, surely, so he is none the wiser.
Somebody going to stick up for his songwriting prowess?

Bono was off on his African work, while most of the real work was going on in the studio.
Who was lazy in the studio, again?

I know what you mean. It's the sound.
The songs are bland. And you and I and anyone can objectively know the reason.

Let's give Edge a break, he's carrying the load for the creative dead weight.

Well if it means anything, its seems like the new trend in music mixing is to mix everything high and not leave the room for your ear to hear the differences between sounds. I think this was very evident on Metallica's latest effort. Everything sounds way too loud and jumbled. Thats exactly the same thing that happened on HTDAAB. Its actually quite sad and lazy of the production crew to agree to do that.

That being said, I could get around that whole issue when listening to the album. I don't think thats the main reason why the album is mediocre...it only further excacerbates the mediocrity.

You really think Edge's guitar parts are bad? really? I don't think they're his best ever, but I don't think they're bad. I actually like some of the sounds he gets on that album....even if the mix sucks. Crumbs, COBL, L&POE, Vertigo, & ABOY have great guitar licks in them IMO. I think the mix hurts, but the poor lyrics are the main culprit.

IDK, everything that I'm hearing about this next album is pointing to a nice consistent marriage of singing, song writing and musicianship. So we should be getting a treat....even if the final mix will probably suck. :wink:

I basically agree with you, it's the 'song problem'.

The production issues are complicated.
You've got bad mixing, bad mastering, in spots, you've got the fact they spent too much time in the studio, you've got at least one example of actual shit recording (Crumbs)

and people throw out the term "over production" as a catch all.

Really, all of it is perfectly acceptable (with the exception of the loud mastering/compression) with good enough songs.

The songs don't hold up, IMO, because they spent too much time on them.
And the fact that half the band actually did want milquetoast.

U2Girl, sorry, I can't stand for that. I have to stick up for the one guy who keeps this band from being utter shit these days.

If anyone? Try the members of the band who couldn't write a lick to save their lives.
I'm sure Larry had to arduously plot out his 4/4 automaton rhythm for the 11th straight album. Adam, root notes again. I could have written and recorded every single bass line on that album in 24 hours. And I am an average bassist.

The main songwriter for the band, who most likely labored more than any other single individual on that album, was "lazy"? In fact, it seems he had to write two albums.
I wish I were as lazy as him.

U2 got the sound that they collectively wanted.
Edge sounds like he's handcuffed, because he is.
By those other twats.

Read: dumbed down so Larry could hear it played on his local jukebox.

Adam added nothing, surely, so he is none the wiser.
Somebody going to stick up for his songwriting prowess?

Bono was off on his African work, while most of the real work was going on in the studio.
Who was lazy in the studio, again?

I know what you mean. It's the sound.
The songs are bland. And you and I and anyone can objectively know the reason.

Let's give Edge a break, he's carrying the load for the creative dead weight.

Being able to write "a lick" ? Sure, Larry and Adam can't. But they're not guitar players so I won't point in their direction when it comes to guitar sounds. Besides we all know the creative weight is on the shoulders of Bono and Edge in this band. As for the former, I can remember Larry (the resident culprit for anything since 97 ftw) saying the lead singer was constantly coming up with new lyrics everytime in the studio despite his activism.

When half the band and long-time producer(s) say the album doesn't cut it...they may be on to something.

It's true Edge basically jumpstarted the work on the album alone (as said by Bono), but I expect more from a guy who says that "on this album I really wanted to explore what a guitar can do in a rock band". It's more like being lazy in the choice of his sounds. There's very little on the last album, except maybe Fast cars, that doesn't make you go "ah, he sounded like this on _____ (insert the name of the album)".

What he needs, and Bono, is inspiration. The good songs and albums will follow.

What he needs, and Bono, is inspiration. The good songs and albums will follow.

The problem is U2girl that our boys will all be 50 soon. I am a songwriter myself. If I look at the best phase in my writing this was when my first love and I broke up. I was devastated and I really think I wrote some beautiful music to go along with the fear, loneliness and "partying" at the same time because I didnt know what to do with myself. Skip back to our boys who are multi multi multi milionairs, live as kings, have made some incredible albums toured the world 5 billion times and have seen it all. Where to get inspiration from when you have done it all and you have it all? I hate to say it but the only thing that would inspire Bono to the fulest is when Ali would decide to leave him :). Listen to Edge on love is blindness for instance. That is fear, longing and emotion captured and I miss it nowadays in the new songs. It is too bland. that's why I reacted to the "news "that edge bought a yacht saying that people who own a yacht are not capable of rock 'n roll

That being said, I really believe that they will get it right again this time, so forget everything i just said:lol:

Having driven driven a jaguar all your life and for some reason driving a Volkswagen nowadays just isnt the same. That doesnt mean a VW is a bad car, it just isnt your ol'jaguar with open roof. reliable yes, absolutely cool,no :wink:

The problem is U2girl that our boys will all be 50 soon. I am a songwriter myself. If I look at the best phase in my writing this was when my first love and I broke up. I was devastated and I really think I wrote some beautiful music to go along with the fear, loneliness and "partying" at the same time because I didnt know what to do with myself. Skip back to our boys who are multi multi multi milionairs, live as kings, have made some incredible albums toured the world 5 billion times and have seen it all. Where to get inspiration from when you have done it all and you have it all? I hate to say it but the only thing that would inspire Bono to the fulest is when Ali would decide to leave him :). Listen to Edge on love is blindness for instance. That is fear, longing and emotion captured and I miss it nowadays in the new songs. It is too bland. that's why I reacted to the "news "that edge bought a yacht saying that people who own a yacht are not capable of rock 'n roll

That being said, I really believe that they will get it right again this time, so forget everything i just said:lol:

Well said, couldn't agree more!
To write beautiful music you have to be depressed or have some kind of big events happening in your life.... otherwise, music is "flat".

Well, considering their age and their experiences with it, how about mortality ? That's a topic that has appeared, now and then, on the last three albums already and could definitely inspire an album. That or, given the time Bono's spent on it, Africa ("statistics don't rhyme" har har). He could write about the hyporcrisy of the globe, as opposed to the ideas of two Americas and the broken heart on their two most inspired albums.

I liked them going in Morocco this time around, and Edge was feeding Bono Moroccan music.

Well, considering their age and their experiences with it, how about mortality ? That's a topic that has appeared, now and then, on the last three albums already and could definitely inspire an album. That or, given the time Bono's spent on it, Africa ("statistics don't rhyme" har har). He could write about the hyporcrisy of the globe, as opposed to the ideas of two Americas and the broken heart on their two most inspired albums.

I liked them going in Morocco this time around, and Edge was feeding Bono Moroccan music.

That was problaby the best thing that could happen to them actually. I realy like this trip to marocco stuff because it must be more inspiring than a villa in the south of France in the Sun where everyday IS a beautiful day
Those topics you are refering to; I would love them to xplore that much and much more and not in a singalong but in a earnest kind of way. There IS so much going on right now..."grabs his guitar and starts to write"

Eh...that is the age old argument in art.

Hey, I'm an illustrator and painter (well, more part time now a days) I'm well aware of reaching deep down into one's soul for inspiration. Painting can be very cathartic in that way....a pretty effective way to "get it all out".

Yes, some of an artist's best work can come from the deep dark reaches of one's soul. There is a lot of evidence that might make some believe that, though I just don't know. I think there is something to be said about timing, experience, and to be honest...LUCK. Hey man, I've seen plenty of depressed people make some shitty work...me inlcuded. :wink: I can remember thinking if I played really sad music and drank alot of wine while I painted that I'd be destined to paint the next Guernica or Starry Night...alas all I ended up with was a shitty painting and a hangover, but I digress.

There's also the theory that great artists only have so many masterpieces in them. I'm kind of partial to that theory, especially as it pertains to music. There are only so many Joshua Trees, White Albums, Dark Side of the Moons that a band can make. After a while I guess you might just have to settle for something less?

But lets get real here....even a mediocre U2 album is still better than a great New Kids on the Block album...right? :wink:

So I'm still hopeful.

Having driven driven a jaguar all your life and for some reason driving a Volkswagen nowadays just isnt the same. That doesnt mean a VW is a bad car, it just isnt your ol'jaguar with open roof. reliable yes, absolutely cool,no :wink:

HA! :lol:

I prefer a drop top Mercedes (as does Adam it appears) but I definitely see your point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom