I wish U218 had been more like this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

IWF
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Pride
Streets
I Still
WOWY
Desire
EBTTRT
One
MW
Stay/HMTMKMKM
Discotheque
BD
Walk On
Vertigo
Sometimes

:shrug:

I like this tracklist. In the UK, U218 has 19 songs, so it proves that the CD can hold more than just 18 tracks.

Use the above tracklist (I vote for Hold Me...Kill Me over Stay, but I'm sure many others would disagree - and one does need a Zooropa song, so...) and then add on the two new tracks. Call it U220 or something. If they had trouble fitting on 20 songs, perhaps Even Better Than... could be chopped as it isn't played on the radio that much any more nor is it a concert staple. That gives them 19 songs, which we all know can fit on a CD.

So yeah, I too am disappointed at the absence of some 90's songs or the failure to represent every album. Ah well.

Zootlesque said:

It's like somebody said a little earlier right in this thread... they're trying to market themselves as a young and relevant band even though they're 30 years old. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

You think that album cover speaks young and relevant?:lol:

Come on!

Again, they could've waited for 2010, and release an compilation called "Thirty (30)", that contained their 30 greatest hits and it would celebrate the releasement of their fitst album. That'd be fair enough. But no... those cashgrabbers couldn't wait and they had to but another thing like this in the market... Nobody needed it. A compilation as I suggested would be far worthy and it would have hits from 1980 to 2010.

I would prefer it if they had put out a 2000-2010 Best of first and make the 1980 - ???? mega Best of/Essential when they retire.

Aygo said:
Again, they could've waited for 2010, and release an compilation called "Thirty (30)"

Then it would be 34? :shrug:

The 30 songs double-disc idea sounds like a better idea than anything.

When U2 calls me to fix their U218 disaster, this is the tracklisting I will use:

1. Out of Control (U2:3 Version)
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3. I Will Follow
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day (Edit)
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Pride (In the Name of Love)
8. Bad (Live)
9. With or Without You
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Where the Streets Have No Name
12. Desire
13. Angel of Harlem
14. All I Want is You
15. The Fly

1. Mysterious Ways
2. One
3. Even Better Than the Real Thing
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
5. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
6. Discotheque
7. Sweetest Thing (Single)
8. Beautiful Day
9. Stuck in a Moment
10. Walk On
11. Vertigo
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
13. City of Blinding Lights
14. The Saints Are Coming
15. Window in the Skies

LemonMacPhisto said:

Then it would be 34? :shrug:

The 30 songs double-disc idea sounds like a better idea than anything.

When U2 calls me to fix their U218 disaster, this is the tracklisting I will use:

1. Out of Control (U2:3 Version)
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3. I Will Follow
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day (Edit)
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Pride (In the Name of Love)
8. Bad (Live)
9. With or Without You
11. Where the Streets Have No Name
12. Desire
13. Angel of Harlem
14. All I Want is You
15. The Fly

1. Mysterious Ways
2. One
3. Even Better Than the Real Thing
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
5. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
6. Discotheque
7. Sweetest Thing (Single)
8. Beautiful Day
9. Stuck in a Moment
10. Walk On
11. Vertigo
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
13. City of Blinding Lights
14. The Saints Are Coming
15. Window in the Skies

1. Add in A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Remove Sweetest Thing
3. Move The Fly down to the second disc behind Mysterious Ways, and start the disc with EBTTRT.
4. Remove Stuck, add in Elevation (live).

After that, no complaints. :up:

LemonMelon said:

1. Add in A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Remove Sweetest Thing
3. Move The Fly down to the second disc behind Mysterious Ways, and start the disc with EBTTRT.
4. Remove Stuck, add in Elevation (live).

After that, no complaints. :up:

I did it in chronological order, so The Fly had to be there, unless I made it 14-16, instead of two 15 track discs.

I thought the tracklist was partly based on ' recent' airplay
and the last time I heard a 90s U2 song that isn't " One" on the radio was probably in the year 2000

that being said
I do think there are too many songs from ATYCLB on this compilation

No, nothing like that. It would be the exact same concept of U218, but extended to 30 songs and hugging all the albums (not leaving aside Pop, Zooropa, October and Boy)...
Couldn't it have just those songs?...

I will follow / New Year's Day / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Pride / Where the streets have no name / With or without you / I still haven't found what I'm looking for / Desire / All I want is you / Mysterious Ways / One / Stay / Numb / Discotheque / Staring at the sun / Sweetest thing / Beautiful day / Elevation / Stuck in a moment / Walk on / Electrical storm / Vertigo / Sometimes you can't make it on your own / City of blinding lights / Window in the skies

+ 3 sucessful singles from 2007 to 2010

PS: There are 29 songs listed above (counting with the 3 singles 2007-10)
1) I included again ES and ST because this has the same concept of U218, for people who don't want to but the previous compilations that contain these songs
2) Didn't include The Saints Are Coming because it's a cover
3) The 30th song could be changeable according to the market, it could be Gloria, EBTTRT, The Fly, WGRYWH, Lemon, TUF, Angel Of Harlem, etc...

This is just a though of what I think things could've happened. A better product, better comercially scheduled, better song choices with no serious ommitions...

Wow I'm actually surprised now that so many people here seem to be agreeing with me that U2 made a mess of this badly timed compilation.

Oh yeah, I don't think there was ever a doubt U218 was a crap product. It didn't stop me from buying it though. :wink:

Aygo said:
Again, they could've waited for 2010, and release an compilation called "Thirty (30)", that contained their 30 greatest hits and it would celebrate the releasement of their fitst album. That'd be fair enough. But no... those cashgrabbers couldn't wait and they had to but another thing like this in the market... Nobody needed it. A compilation as I suggested would be far worthy and it would have hits from 1980 to 2010.

:up: :up:

Up until 1998 before the release of the first of the dreadful compilations, I admired U2 for going so long without cashing in by releasing a compilation. Disappointingly, how times have changed. Now we have 3 complilations, each as shambolic as the other.

When it did come to the time of a compilation being released, I hoped it would have been tracklisted in chronicle order - my personal preference to a mixed up tracklisting. And instead of 2 seperate compilations, I would have released them both as one package - cd1 being called 1980-1989 and cd2 being called 1990-1999. I would also have held off for another year - until 1999 - before releasing them, of course.

My tracklisting would have been -

CD1 - 1980-1989

1. I Will Follow
2. A Day Without Me
3. Fire
4. Gloria
5. A Celebration
6. New Year's Day
7. Two Hearts Beat As One
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Pride
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. Bad
12. With Or Without You
13. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Desire
16. Angel Of Harlem
17. When Love Comes To Town
18. All I Want Is You

CD2 - 1990-1999

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
6. Love Is Blindness
7. Lemon
8. Stay
9. Babyface
10. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11. Discotheque
12. Do You Feel Loved?
13. Staring At The Sun
14. Last Night On Earth
15. Please
16. If God Will Send His Angels

I included 3 album tracks to fill out cd2, although all worthy of inclusion on a best of compilation.
This would have been an ideal compilation to release instead of the 2 chaotic ones which ended up being released.

To get to the original point of this thread, if it was up to me to decide the tracklisting of a best of to be released this year, it would have to have also been over 2 discs.
My tracklisting would have been -

Disc 1 - 1980-1992

1. I Will Follow
2. A Day Without Me
3. Fire
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day
6. Two Hearts Beat As One
7. Pride
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. With Or Without You
11. Where The Streets Have No Name
12. Desire
13. Angel Of Harlem
14. All I Want Is You
15. The Fly
16. Mysterious Ways
17. One
18. Even Better Than The Real Thing

Disc 2 - 1993-2006

1. Lemon
2. Stay
3. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
4. Discotheque
5. Staring At The Sun
6. Last Night On Earth
7. If God Will Send His Angels
8. Beautiful Day
9. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
10. Elevation
11. Walk On
12. Electrical Storm
13. Vertigo
14. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
15. City Of Blinding lights
16. All Because Of You

I wouldn't have bothered including the 2 new songs. I also wouldn't have called the album"U218", which is an awful title. I would simply have called it, "The Best Of U2, 1980-06". Hopefully, when U2 eventually split up, there will be a defintive 3 cd collection running in chronicle order. Although, maybe U2 will be like the Rolling Stones, and go on forever...

Calum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom