I think U2 stuffed up ........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, they fucked up big time releasing Boots first...

Honestly, if you weren't a U2 fan...would you even know it came out?

The problem with boots is that lyrically it just does't fit on the album (except of course for the excellent let me in the sound part). No line is a dark and heavy record... Bono screaming Sexy boots midway through the record comes off like a cheezy advertisement. Boots certainly has it's niche but not on NLOTH! Boot's place is as an ad midway through the superbowl. Maybe U2 should have done like the Beatles and not include their first single on the album. Boot's is a great song but not on my NLOTH!

Stand up and Breathe are tremendous tracks and would definately have made HTDAAB a better record but kind of put a damper on the sonic adventure that really is NLOTH. Besides, straight forward full blown rockers have never been U2's forte (except of course Bullet and Exit). Crumbs and Love and Peace are certainly not the crown jewels of the U2 catalogue.

That said, no U2 album has been as interesting and innovative since Pop. NLOTH's first 5 tracks are in my opinion the strongest opening half since Achtung. NLOTH (the song) has Bono exploring unfamiliar vocal territory practically screaming throughout the song, whilst Magnificent is the most danceable non remix U2 number ever. MOS and UC make use of vocal harmonizations common on a proper Daniel Lanois album but that are totally fresh for U2. There are four songs (NLOTH, MOS, UC and CEDARS) on this album where in the chorus it's hard to make out Bono's voice from Edge's Lanois's and Eno's!!

In my humble opinion (a U2 apostle for the past 25 years), NO LINE is 3 songs short of a masterpiece but certainly offers more than a bootfull of sonic exploration and covers enough compelling melodic terrain that by any standard should be enough to keep the most critical U2 fan gloating for the next 2 years. Let me in the sound indeed!

I dont think the radio or MTV signles really matter that much anymore, especially for a band like U2. In a way, that may have been their point by releasing Boots.

Today, it seems most of the younger folks get their music from their big brother or from iTunes suggestions (those who purchased this also purchased this...)

Its a different time. Better or worse? Both.

A rather radical edit of Unknown caller would probably do pretty well. I've had the album on at work, and I've caught 4 or 5 people singing the Ohh oh chorus even when the song isn't on.

I think this could has potential for a single, maybe the 4th and final single. Chorus is catchy and something you can sing along too. Obviously just need to edit the song down which you can do by cutting the intro and beginning with the 'sunshines' or 'ohhs'. Crazy Tonight has the ATYCLB feel so it has great potential as a second single.

I am not getting the vibe from Magnificent so much as others but it seems to be a hit so that could work as well.

boots is the albums the fly. some hate it. some love it. some will grow to love it. some will never like it. some will grow to hate it. some will never love it.

artdirector

i think I just wrote bono's next lyrics.:lol:

Yep just read that and all she goes on about in every song is "wheres the singalong chorus". What a fuc#wit. This has whats been wrong with U2 since 2000, obsessed with singalong tunes and obviously attracted idiot fans like this reviewer. Well if they lose fans like that on this album then the music must be good!

i agree. but she discovered U2 with ATYCLB for the first time. which mean that she get into their "playing safe"
time. so she like these kind of pop songs. but i also think that this album isn´t made for teens. it´s too mature for that, except GOYB which is a rocker also made for the younger people who like kings of leon, queens of the stoneage etc.

No, I think Boots is a very good single, maybe the only right choice for a single. To be honest, I don't hear many singles on NLOTH. Crazy Tonight is the song I like least, I hope they wouldn't release that song as a single, on the other hand I'm glad that they didn't release it first. Magnificent will be the uber-single. I also think Stand Up Comedy would make a great single. Over all, there's not much mainstream radio stuff on the album, and it's good that way.

I think this could has potential for a single, maybe the 4th and final single. Chorus is catchy and something you can sing along too. Obviously just need to edit the song down which you can do by cutting the intro and beginning with the 'sunshines' or 'ohhs'. Crazy Tonight has the ATYCLB feel so it has great potential as a second single.

I am not getting the vibe from Magnificent so much as others but it seems to be a hit so that could work as well.

I agree with you, there is gonna be some serious editing but as a 4th single I can see it. But part of me thinks they will not go to this point.

Just be thankful they didnt release white as snow, that song sucks.

:eyebrow: No it doesn't. Actually I think it's the most beautiful song on the album. I love this song to death. It will never be released as a single or played live, but that's fine for me. NLOTH could be a great album for me just because of that song.

Stupid move that may weaken the album's sale chances.

NLOTH is the obvious 1st single. Or Magnificent for the most obvious "hit".

Yeah, NLOTH would also be a good single, though I think the alternative version may make an even better single.

I don't think U2 are going for "hits" on that album.

GOYB is a good single, they just have to figure out how to do it live.

What happens if you disagree with Jack Bauer? :reject:
The Terrorists win.

But yeah, there arent many singles on it, but Breathe as their main single would be much better. Now people going to judge the album by GOYB. This single does not represent the sound of the album at all.

But....it is filler. First single or not, it's the worst song on the album. I enjoy the playlist I made without it better than the original album.

I strongly disagree with that. There are several songs on the album that I dislike far, FAR more than GOYB.

Also, as I listened to the album in the car yesterday, I was actually happy to hear GOYB. It really brightened a somewhat somber album. "Crazy" and "Stand Up" also give the album "life" as well and hopefully those will be singles.

When one says "The Fly" was a much better song, that is also subjective. I like both songs quite a bit and feel that GOYB is similar to "The Fly" in that it doesn't exactly indicate what the album is overall.

I am very surprised to keep hearing how much hate there is for GOYB from so many U2 fans. It just seems that everyone can't wait to rip on this song - a fun rocking song that is not only sonically interesting but has multiple interpretations of its lyrics.

But all that is beside the point - should U2 have released this first?

And this brings up two issues - a personal and business perspective. And we must separate the two.

As so many fans *personally* don't like GOYB, they may feel it's not a good single, but it may have been viewed so from a business perspective. And while the song hasn't crossed-over, it is a big hit on alternative radio - the stations that are most hip and current for the younger market. And it may be that U2 recognize that this song wouldn't really cross-over, but should still recognition in the "hip" crowd.

At this point in U2's career, I'm not sure what song would work well. They could have released a radio-edit of "Magnificent" or "Stand Up" or "Crazy" and still have received the exact amount of airplay that they have had for GOYB. I asked people what they thought of the new U2 song and most people simply haven't heard it! Unlike "Discotheque", mainstream radio isn't playing U2 at all. In other words, this isn't a case of a song being a hit, but quickly turning off casual fans. It's a case of people not hearing it (and not everyone watches the Grammy awards or saw the opening minutes).

Despite the success of "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", U2 had to fight to get songs like "Stuck...", "Sometimes...", COBL, "All Because of You", "Walk On", etc. played. Two big albums with two big first singles, yet the second and third single barely are recognized. "Walk On" won the frickin' "Record of the Year" Grammy award (the second most prestigous award after "Album of the Year") and it wasn't even a Top 100 hit (which was one of the few times that occurred). In other words, even if U2 released a more "radio-friendly" song from NLOTH, I don't think it would have made any difference in terms of airplay these days.

Sadly, U2 is like a new group that really needs to promote, promote, promote in order to get their music heard. It boggles my mind, but that's the way it is. So they appear on the Grammy Awards and Letterman and make iPod commercials.

I still hope that a second or third single take off and cross-over, but we'll see.

Still, as it's clear that GOYB isn't a huge cross-over hit, I would highly recommend that U2 start getting single #2 ready now. Treat GOYB like "The Fly". It was out there, it let fans know about new U2 and a change in style, now move on. Get that second song that should be more accessible ready for air time. The "one-two" punch of "Mysterious Ways" and "One" is what kept AB going strong for months. U2 need to do that now if they want NLOTH going for months. A "one-two" punch of "Magnificent" (radio edit) followed by "Crazy" could keep NLOTH going strong. U2 waited FAR too long to get "Staring at the Sun" out, which I felt hurt "Pop". Hopefully they will start getting a second single ready now to keep NLOTH going strong.

If there is a weakness, it's not always the song selection, but the time issue. I think sometimes the band feels too close to a song or is still a bit old school in trying to see a song "grow on the charts", when that world is gone. I would recommend that a second single should be thrown out with the album's release so that radio stations can play the next U2 single. Letterman could even advertise it as "the new single from U2's new album" to help spark more interest. I would also recommend that U2 open Letterman's show that way and save GOYB for a second or third night performance.

Boots was a flop, it's U2's worst charting lead single since Fire. And worst charting single since If God Will send His Angels. hey really made a bad choice with that as the lead single

plus Boots is the worst song on the album anyway

When i said 20 days ago that Boots would fail in the charts people bashed me.
I thought the song was crap but now i can listen to it without any problems. But as a lead single of such strong record, not in a million years this will make sense.

Also, as I listened to the album in the car yesterday, I was actually happy to hear GOYB.

I've been listening to the album in the car too and one thing I notice is I'm not skipping any tracks which is rare for me with a U2 album, I just keep looking forward to the next track and the next one. Today I love Standup Comedy, It's like nothing that's on the radio right now and this goes for most if not all of the album. I also think boots is a kicking track, especially when played at high volume :rockon:!

GOYB is one of the weakest singles U2 have ever released. It is very contrived and completely forgetful.

Am holding out for the album CD release but am mystified about the rave reviews compared to the poor quality of it's lead off single. I hope the album's as good as the forum hysteria surrounding it !

I love Magnif, but it would have been a terrible choice for a lead off single. Its a disco song. The last time they released a disco song as a lead off single, things didn't go well either.

When you're talking about what should be a single, consider the business aspect first, and your personal taste second, imo.

That's not to say Boots was a good choice. It wasn't for all the reasons others have said.

Back
Top Bottom