I think U2 stuffed up ........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the one hand; the album gains so much depth by the first track not being the lead single. BUT NLOTH might actually have been the most successful single.... who knows? The album is awesome and that's all that matters! :)

From a marketing perspective, "Boots" was the perfect lead single of the album. The first single doesn't have to be the best, most exciting song. It just needs to be interesting and fresh as we haven't heard anything new in a couple years. The die-hards (Us!) are going to buy the album immediately anyways. It's the 2nd and 3rd singles that have to grab the casual listener who isn't going to rush out on March 3rd and buy the album. "Magnificent" will do just fine as single #2. And I'm really hoping they release "Moment of Surrender" 3rd.

Was "The Fly" the most accessible song off Achtung Baby? Not really, but "One" and "Mysterious Ways" made sure the album stayed on the charts for a while.

I unapologetically and enthusiastically LOVE "Get On Your Boots" but as several people have pointed out, it has been a commercial failure and does not seem to be capturing the imagination of the general public. It's not even in the top 100 iTunes sales in the US. It bums me out a bit, sure. But I'm starting to think of this song as more of a warning shot than a first single. The song, the inauguration, the Grammys, the Brits... it all lays the groundwork and lets people know that something is coming.

There are stronger and more accessible songs on the album which (hopefully) will mean a longer and more sustained lifespan for the album instead of the biggest hit coming out of the gate first ala "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo." As some of you know, I work in radio and I can tell you that there is already some excitement building about "Crazy Tonight" and "Magnificent" from the folks that have heard the album.

remember coldplay with violent hill. this wasn´t the best song and good choice for a single too. but with "viva la vida" as a single they made it big time.

to chose a single, isn´t so easy. most time, but for U2, they made the right choice. boots was the right song to get good and bad feedback. and i´m sure that universal was totally against this decision. ;)

a good read found here what a 19year old girl and a 30year old men think about NLOTH:
U2 - the generation clash | stylishkidsinriot.com is about fashion, music, parties, lifestyle on the cutting edge
It´s part one.

oops. i need to move this into the review thread. apologize for that.

Was "The Fly" the most accessible song off Achtung Baby? Not really, but "One" and "Mysterious Ways" made sure the album stayed on the charts for a while.

Ha! You managed to say everything I was trying to say in a much less wordy way. Well done.

From a marketing perspective, "Boots" was the perfect lead single of the album. The first single doesn't have to be the best, most exciting song. It just needs to be interesting and fresh as we haven't heard anything new in a couple years. The die-hards (Us!) are going to buy the album immediately anyways. It's the 2nd and 3rd singles that have to grab the casual listener who isn't going to rush out on March 3rd and buy the album. "Magnificent" will do just fine as single #2. And I'm really hoping they release "Moment of Surrender" 3rd.

One major difference is that The Fly was followed by Mysterious Ways just four weeks later. It was a teaser track that U2 knew would get played just because it was new, but they also realized that the novelty wouldn't last forever. They had a more radio-friendly tune waiting in the wings. It doesn't appear that they are going to use that strategy this time, meaning GOYB may be hung out to dry for another two months before they push Crazy or Magnificent. Given their age and today's marketplace, that may be too long.

One major difference is that The Fly was followed by Mysterious Ways just four weeks later. It was a teaser track that U2 knew would get played just because it was new, but they also realized that the novelty wouldn't last forever. They had a more radio-friendly tune waiting in the wings. It doesn't appear that they are going to use that strategy this time, meaning GOYB may be hung out to dry for another two months before they push Crazy or Magnificent. Given their age and today's marketplace, that may be too long.

There is talk that another track will be serviced to US radio as early as next week. It won't be two months. Universal was ready to go with two potential singles last month and it was a toss up btwn GOYB and whichever song is going to be single #2.

There aren't very many suitable singles on this album. Magnificent and Crazy Tonight are pretty much all there is. As far as rockers go, they had GOYB, Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe. Breathe is by far and away the best of those, but hardly appropriate for single release. I suppose NLOTH could have made for a solid oddball opening single.

I like GOYB. Not at first, but it kind of grew on me. Probably my second to last fav on the album, but I started to get into it before the leak.

There is talk that another track will be serviced to US radio as early as next week. It won't be two months. Universal was ready to go with two potential singles last month and it was a toss up btwn GOYB and whichever song is going to be single #2.

Oh good. I'd bet on it being Magnificent although I think Crazy is the only one that has a chance for top 40 airplay.

Why are people so obsessed with singles anyway. Couldn't give a crap what they release as singles. I've just listened to NLOTH title track and it blows my fuc#ing head off and I didn't much like the b-side version. So if the musics good who gives a crap what singles they release. Yeah NLOTH album version is unbelievably good but would it make a hit single? Who cares!

There aren't very many suitable singles on this album. Magnificent and Crazy Tonight are pretty much all there is. As far as rockers go, they had GOYB, Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe. Breathe is by far and away the best of those, but hardly appropriate for single release. I suppose NLOTH could have made for a solid oddball opening single.

A rather radical edit of Unknown caller would probably do pretty well. I've had the album on at work, and I've caught 4 or 5 people singing the Ohh oh chorus even when the song isn't on.

Why are people so obsessed with singles anyway. Couldn't give a crap what they release as singles. I've just listened to NLOTH title track and it blows my fuc#ing head off and I didn't much like the b-side version. So if the musics good who gives a crap what singles they release. Yeah NLOTH album version is unbelievably good but would it make a hit single? Who cares!

I'm not "obsessed with singles", but I have an interest in the business side of things. It doesn't affect my feelings about the quality of the music.

The only thing that would bother me about this album not succeeding would be that sometimes U2 can be a bit reactionary about this type of thing. I'd hate to have them swing back too far to the other extreme and put out a straight-up-the-middle pop song collection. I like HTDAAB for what it is (a strong collection of individual songs) but I'm more excited by what a complete album NLOTH has turned out to be. I'd hate to see them move away from that or apologize for it.

I think the discussion about singles is interesting because it's hard to pull songs off of this album. There's nothing on here that I skip to. When I want to hear it, I want to hear all 11 songs, in the order they're in.

remember coldplay with violent hill. this wasn´t the best song and good choice for a single too. but with "viva la vida" as a single they made it big time.

to chose a single, isn´t so easy. most time, but for U2, they made the right choice. boots was the right song to get good and bad feedback. and i´m sure that universal was totally against this decision. ;)

a good read found here what a 19year old girl and a 30year old men think about NLOTH:
U2 - the generation clash | stylishkidsinriot.com is about fashion, music, parties, lifestyle on the cutting edge
It´s part one.

oops. i need to move this into the review thread. apologize for that.

Yep just read that and all she goes on about in every song is "wheres the singalong chorus". What a fuc#wit. This has whats been wrong with U2 since 2000, obsessed with singalong tunes and obviously attracted idiot fans like this reviewer. Well if they lose fans like that on this album then the music must be good!

Re: Singles and commercial success

"Why are people so obsessed with singles anyway. Couldn't give a crap what they release as singles. I've just listened to NLOTH title track and it blows my fuc#ing head off and I didn't much like the b-side version. So if the musics good who gives a crap what singles they release. Yeah NLOTH album version is unbelievably good but would it make a hit single? Who cares!"

I couldn't agree more, I don't give a damn about the singles or their commercial success? As someone who has followed these guys for 25 years, I'm actually happy when their stuff flies under the radar a bit, why do we need commercial validation that these guys are still the best band out there? If we love their music, I don't think it matters what order they release singles, and what number on the charts they reach.

It's not an obsession with singles and commercial success. It's just discussion, analysis and educated speculation of one factor of the band by people who are interested in that type of thing. Some people like to talk about golf. I don't. But shit... let them talk about golf and I'll discuss this. What's the big deal?

"But the next single should go with the flow and be Crazy then maybe Magnificent or Fez. I'm leaning towards Fez but Magnificent rules too much."

"I l already know that Magnificent, Crazy and Fez are awesome for singles."

Seriously, Fez? The most inaccessible and shortest song should be a single? I'm assuming you mean Fez and Being Born together, but still I don't ever see this happening. I definitely understand that you like the song, but it would be career suicide as a single.

I don't think it doesn't fit on the album at all.
Imo it is the worst U2 song ever. I even like Miami better. A weak spot, but maybe thats good, to take a break from all the mindblowing. Too much mindblowing is bad, mmmkay? :p

GOYB is the most rock and roll song on it, maybe that is why they chose it? The thing is, it sounds too familiar to their latest album.
Bad songchoice, the only more stupider choice would be Fez-Being born indeed. Any other song would be a better choice, but that is just my opinion.

I don't think vertigo or goyb fit on their albums. It's u2 trying to be somebody else.

Atyclb sold 12 mil and htdaab sold 9. Awesome but may point to how well the lead singles reflect the album.

I've always loved Boots, and still do. But, honestly, it and SUC are my two least favorite songs on the album... but that really says more about how amazing the album is more than the quality of the song.

You know the funny thing is I didn't like that song at first, then when I saw the vid I really liked it. I thought their Grammy appearance was lacking but that's because no one knew the lyrics. How can you sing a song if you don't know the lyrics?

Something is coming soon from the boys I can feel it, possibly another single, what would you like? They might even switch from Boots to something else Wouldn't that be something !

I know not many people feel this way but I loved Boots from the moment I heard it, and I still love it now. Yeah the video made me love it even more. For me the slow songs are just snoozers and put me to sleep, bore me. I skip them to get to the fast upbeat songs. I think I've pretty much done that with most U2 albums. Yes I know, let me climb into my reject box now. ;)

I agree. I think Boots was actually their best choice. Maybe Magnificent, but for a radio play song the rest dont really fit.

The only thing that would bother me about this album not succeeding would be that sometimes U2 can be a bit reactionary about this type of thing. I'd hate to have them swing back too far to the other extreme and put out a straight-up-the-middle pop song collection. I like HTDAAB for what it is (a strong collection of individual songs) but I'm more excited by what a complete album NLOTH has turned out to be. I'd hate to see them move away from that or apologize for it.

I think the discussion about singles is interesting because it's hard to pull songs off of this album. There's nothing on here that I skip to. When I want to hear it, I want to hear all 11 songs, in the order they're in.

There are certain singles that should be released (Crazy, Fez and Magnificent) but we don't know if they are going to do this. The songs rocks and you're right but it doesn't mean it will be succesfull for the boys.

I don't think it doesn't fit on the album at all.
Imo it is the worst U2 song ever. I even like Miami better. A weak spot, but maybe thats good, to take a break from all the mindblowing. Too much mindblowing is bad, mmmkay? :p

GOYB is the most rock and roll song on it, maybe that is why they chose it? The thing is, it sounds too familiar to their latest album.
Bad songchoice, the only more stupider choice would be Fez-Being born indeed. Any other song would be a better choice, but that is just my opinion.

What happens if you disagree with Jack Bauer? :reject:

I know not many people feel this way but I loved Boots from the moment I heard it, and I still love it now. Yeah the video made me love it even more. For me the slow songs are just snoozers and put me to sleep, bore me. I skip them to get to the fast upbeat songs. I think I've pretty much done that with most U2 albums. Yes I know, let me climb into my reject box now. ;)

You know the funny thing is I hated the song at first, because I thought the U2 album was going to be in a different direction.

But now as Boots is an excellent choice for a first single it's the most rocking song. Now the next song will be Crazy.

There are certain singles that should be released (Crazy, Fez and Magnificent) but we don't know if they are going to do this. The songs rocks and you're right but it doesn't mean it will be succesfull for the boys.

As great of a song as "FEZ - Being Born" is, the single would be wearing cement shoes if it were ever released. It'd fail miserably.

"Breathe", "Magnificent", or "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" should be the choices of the upcoming singles...

It would be really interesting to see how Crazy Tonight would have functioned as the lead single.

More popular with fans but less popular with Interference.
We would have savaged it for the cheesy title and its immediacy.
There would have been at least 4,954 posts from the haters about
a lack of development in sound and U2 taking the path of least resistance.
Imagine dozens of variations of this:

"Look it's catchy. We can all agree on that. But U2 used to be
about so much more than just being catchy. It's hard to deny the
hook, it's a little better than most of Bomb and some of ATYCLB.
In other words it's nothing special."

Instead the same people who may have hated it as the first single and who decided to hate it before they heard it because of the stupid title ended up being pleasantly surprised. Count me among them. I dig it.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom