I think this quote is a big clue as to why they are in Morocco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
"A question from Derrick Ashong about how Africa can leverage its cultural patrimony gets a happier response: he notes that Irish culture isn’t a northern European culture, and that many traditional Irish melodies can be traced directly to Morocco - he illustrates with a short piece of song. “There’s a definite African heritage, a connection between Celtic and Coptic culture.” He leaves the stage to a standing ovation."

This quote comes from an article discussing Bono's participation at the recent TED conference in Africa.

Sounds intersting. Really makes me wonder what the new album will sound like....a fusion of traditional Moroccan and Irish music.

Peace.

I was thinking the same thing.

Having said that, Bono's statement that Irish culture isn't a nothern European culture is highly controversial. To put it less politely, the man is talking bilge.

I think their prescence in Morroco could be a good thing, definetly better than in the South of France.

I just hope Bono doesn't start writing songs about the One Campaign and Africa :huh:

I like that possibility, having some Africa pop into your music, like with Paul Simon's album.

But yeah, if it turns into a Bono/Geldoff Wankerfest I'll be pissed.

I think they're in Morocco recording since when they where in Eze, the Beach Clips emerged. They are probably trying to avoid something like that again.

it's interesting, the link between Irish and Northern African music, but to me it seems pretty irrelevant, since u2 has never had a typically Irish sound to their music in the first place. I don't think they are suddenly going to start going down that road at this point. :shrug:

bobbo said:

But yeah, if it turns into a Bono/Geldoff Wankerfest I'll be pissed.

That's not going to happen. There are three other members of U2...the same ones that decided Native Son wasn't going to be released.

u2fezqd6.jpg

The set-up here gives us an idea of the atmosphere in which they are working in:eyebrow:

From that photo it looks like they're all playing something - except Larry, who I assume is the dude sitting cross legged a few feet away from the drum kit. Hopefully this is an expression of displeasure at the song they are working on, which of course means the song is awesome.

LemonMelon said:

That's not going to happen. There are three other members of U2...the same ones that decided Native Son wasn't going to be released.
But there are 2 great producers who can stop this blasphemy and turn a good song like Native Son into something more satisfying than an IPod commercial.

gherman said:
u2fezqd6.jpg

The set-up here gives us an idea of the atmosphere in which they are working in:eyebrow:

I seen that image and thought

FAST CARS

JCOSTER said:
I think they're in Morocco recording since when they where in Eze, the Beach Clips emerged. They are probably trying to avoid something like that again.

If they don't want snippets to emerge, then they just shouldn't play these songs out loud at their holiday house.

These clip recordings were made of actual songs being played out loud, not of an actual recording.

Earnie Shavers said:
From that photo it looks like they're all playing something - except Larry, who I assume is the dude sitting cross legged a few feet away from the drum kit. Hopefully this is an expression of displeasure at the song they are working on, which of course means the song is awesome.

couldn't have said better myself.:up: :lmao:

There's a photo up on atU2.com showing Adam, Bono and The Edge (along with Queen Rainia) at the Fez festival of sacred music last weekend. I couldn't find Larry in it. Maybe he figures he knows enough about drumming already.

The Irish in Americaaaa, the Irish in Africaaaa, next they're going to be blabbering on about the Irish in Tokyo. :shrug:

Earnie Shavers said:

I guess you won't be too happy then:

In Fez With U2

The U2.Com team have just returned from Fez, Morocco where the band have been songwriting with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Throughout June, we’ll be bringing you some stories from inside the U2 Riad.

Although working with long-time friends and producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, it was a new slant on this relationship. Larry seemed to be enjoying the experience, ‘It’s the first time we’ve worked with Brian and Dan in a purely songwriting capacity,’ he said. ‘So it’s very different, quite experimental and kind of liberating because of that…’

But as far as where these new songs will go - the message is clear - it’s early days and there is no definite plan about where and when this music goes next. “We have no plans for the music yet,” Bono told us. “We’re just going to make it until we can’t not put it out!"

October '08 then. :wink:

I really, truly believe the new record will be fantastic. Then again, I've liked both records they put out in the noughties along with last summer's beach clips.

roy said:

Throughout June, we’ll be bringing you some stories from inside the U2 Riad.

Unless u2.com is going to be milking stories from this longer than they're actually there, this sounds like they're planning to be in morocco for the whole month.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
let's make a deal.

bono can record in africa and have an african "influence" on the sound, in exchange he will never yell "AFRICA! AFRICA! AFRICA!" over the begining of Streets ever ever again.

deal :up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
anyone else think stop (the poverty) will segue into streets on the next tour? :hyper:

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom