I met Brian Eno today and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
So I was out on the protest march from Hyde Park to the Israeli Embassy this afternoon, and as I look to my left who should be walking next to me but Brian himself! I said hello and remarked upon how great it was that so many people were out in protest despite the bitter cold..then I moved in for the kill!

"So...just how good is NLOTH then Brian?" And with a smile he said "Devastating! It's devastatingly brilliant!" I reacted with a happy grin and he went on to say "I can honestly say it's the best album they've ever done, and people will love it"

I didnt want to ask anything more as I didnt think the timing was in any way appropriate, so I just said "Excellent" and we went on to talk more for 10 minutes or so about the situation in Gaza as we walked on, then he said that he was going to move on through the crowds a little quicker so that he could get closer to the front. He said "Good talking to you and take care" and off he disappeared.

Yeah, I know that what he said about it being the best album they've ever done isn't the most original line, but it sounded good hearing it face to face from him!

Cool!

This might be a good place to put this tid bit about him then. I posted it in another thread too...its from an online Q & A with Allan Cross (the Canadian DJ who supposedly heard GYBO yesterday)

Supposedly, Brian Eno is credited for creating the jingle that you hear when you open your computer (if you have windows) He got paid $35K for it in 1994 or 1995. It is supposedly the most commonly heard musical composition in the entire world...about 200 million people use a Windows based OS daily. Cool stuff!

link: The Beat Goes On - Ask Alan Cross

its down way towards the bottom

Holy shit, dude! That is awesome that you bumped into him! And even more awesome that he said the album is devastatingly brilliant! :applaud: I don't care if it's hyperbole, at this point. I'll make up my own mind later anyway. But I do trust Eno's words more than anyone else's including all U2 members. He did do magic with Viva La Vida! :love:

But how cool that you should get to chat with him! Niiice.

Cool story aardvark:up:

Eno is a Master too and I have a feeling they did great this time. U2+Eno=Great record
2009 is gonna be an epic U2 year:applaud:

Cool!

This might be a good place to put this tid bit about him then. I posted it in another thread too...its from an online Q & A with Allan Cross (the Canadian DJ who supposedly heard GYBO yesterday)

Supposedly, Brian Eno is credited for creating the jingle that you hear when you open your computer (if you have windows) He got paid $35K for it in 1994 or 1995. It is supposedly the most commonly heard musical composition in the entire world...about 200 million people use a Windows based OS daily. Cool stuff!

link: The Beat Goes On - Ask Alan Cross

its down way towards the bottom

Haha I didn't know that it was him that composed the rush of music that comes on as the desktop loads. To be honest, I never hear it cos I usually put my computer on standby and if I have to reboot, I turn off the volume lest the music should be too loud. :shh:

That's such a great story, and obviously a much more human interaction than the normal "meeting the band" stories. You were both part of a public demonstration and marching as equals.

I guess my follow up question to his NLOTH praise would be "In what way is it better than Achtung Baby?" I'm sure he knows that album is a pretty distinct achievement, and would need to fashion a more specific response.

Glad you even asked at all though. And he could have winked and said "It's not the second coming or anything" and this place would be in shambles right now.

Wow, such a possitive respons from the master himself is just brilliant. Please tell me that you really met him and are not making it up. I don't want to accuse you of lying and I am actually very jealous that you met Eno but since the announcement of NLOTH a couple of weeks ago some people have been making stuff up. So please don't take it personal and if this is true you really made my day:up:.

I love the person with 31 posts questioning the integrity of someone with over 20,000.

Trust me. Aardvark is the real deal, fucking OLD SCHOOL.

:applaud: . . . you are having an absolute cracker of a week :wink: . . . lovely stuff and am doffing my cap to you for having the nouse to ask - I think all I would have managed to squeak out would have been "nyawayhablahblah" or dribble!! Well done :)

:yippie: to the album being brilltastic too :yes:

Back
Top Bottom