I met Brian Eno today and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have learnt from many past experiences that listening to pre album hype is a fruitless exercise. Especially from U2 who often take certain poetic liberties when it comes to describing certain sounds. Eg molten rock could simply mean distorted guitar or 'this solo is from a dark place (love & peace)' could simply be a two note riff.

However, I do feel the boys are being a little more subdued with this campaign boastings which could actually be a really good sign. I wouldn't listen to Eno though, he's got his finger very deep in the pie. I still think the album will be good to brilliant. :sexywink:

Aardvark, very sweet story, thank you for sharing!

I believe Eno's being honest, you don't say such expressions if you don't feel it, but keep in mind that opinions are opinions and yours may or may not coincide with his or with any other's, moreover, Eno is very much involved in the process, so it's impossible for him to be objective about their result at this very moment, it's as if you ask a father if his new baby born is beautiful or ugly, what is he supposed to feel? But I wouldn't worry too much, I know U2 can't do a crap album, the worst they could do is an average U2 album, which, in my opinion, would be much better than most of the music being put out there recently.

great stuff Aardy !

I sure hope he's right.

A new U2 album is like a holiday for me, I'm very geeky and get sweaty hands and butterflies in my tummy just prior to hearing the new tunes.

I could REALLY REALLY use some new brilliant U2 magic (not good pop tunes, but MAGIC !)

I won't believe anything until I actually hear it. I listened to all the hype around HTDAAB and I thought that album pretty much sucks.

All those "I believe it when I hear it" comments from people here are interesting.

There are a gazillion threads in this forum where people judge songs they haven't even heard before, based on some title, rumour, speculation, quote from a magazine and so on, saying how this or that might suck.

Of course, if it's something positive, like Eno's statement, different rules apply.

All those "I believe it when I hear it" comments from people here are interesting.

There are a gazillion threads in this forum where people judge songs they haven't even heard before, based on some title, rumour, speculation, quote from a magazine and so on, saying how this or that might suck.

Of course, if it's something positive, like Eno's statement, different rules apply.

Actually, the most logical explanation would be that the people saying the one thing are not the same people doing the other. Remember, there have been multiple times in the last few weeks where hundreds of people have been following a single thread.

This comment about the album has made me more excited than all the interview quotes and descriptions. It just feels very genuine. Thanks again for sharing Aardvark!

I think his comments are genuine because he said it to a fan not to a newspaper/magazine who would most likely post those comments and hype the album. But even if genuine, that could be how he personally feels about the album, other people may feel differently and think its a shitty or average album. It is a very subjective matter. But given the Eno is a music genius it makes me happy that those words are coming from him.

great stuff Aardy !

I sure hope he's right.

A new U2 album is like a holiday for me, I'm very geeky and get sweaty hands and butterflies in my tummy just prior to hearing the new tunes.

I could REALLY REALLY use some new brilliant U2 magic (not good pop tunes, but MAGIC !)

:ohmy: :wave:

Like he was going to lean over and whisper conspiratorily (sp?): "Don't tell anyone, but I actually think it kind of blows"? ;)

Cool experience!

Like he was going to lean over and whisper conspiratorily (sp?): "Don't tell anyone, but I actually think it kind of blows"? ;)

Cool experience!

ofcourse he is not going to say "well the album sucks...." but if he believes that the album did suck he wouldn't be so enthusiastic in his comments by saying its "devastatingly brilliant" he could say something like "yeah the album came along well and has some good tunes in there" something less enthusiastic but yet sounding positive.

ofcourse he is not going to say "well the album sucks...." but if he believes that the album did suck he wouldn't be so enthusiastic in his comments by saying its "devastatingly brilliant" he could say something like "yeah the album came along well and has some good tunes in there" something less enthusiastic but yet sounding positive.

How do you kids say it?

QFT!

I was joking, you know. I'm very excited for the album.

Go to Enoweb and find every interview he's ever done.

Rarely does he get enthusiastic about anything.

He never said much about the Joshua Tree, accepting what he did for them as far as broadening their skill set.

His response to this forum member is very positive to this life long ENO fan in regards to U2.

He wouldn't say it sucked, but "devastatingly brilliant" means something from this man's lips.

Go to Enoweb and find every interview he's ever done.

Rarely does he get enthusiastic about anything.

He never said much about the Joshua Tree, accepting what he did for them as far as broadening their skill set.

His response to this forum member is very positive to this life long ENO fan in regards to U2.

He wouldn't say it sucked, but "devastatingly brilliant" means something from this man's lips.

Yep indeed!!!!:up: I still don't believe it will be another AB or JT in terms of status but this could be yet another re-invention that will define U2 again. I don't think it will be ATYCLB PT3 nor AB pt 2 or JT pt 2. This will be different and undoubtly some people may hate it and some will love it. Only time will tell but I am ready for a different U2 despite the fact that i love both ATYCLB and HTDAAB!

Back
Top Bottom