I hope the new album is a surprise again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? This thread has been off "topic" since page one.

Well... looking at the amount of your posts you seem to be a part of that. :crack:

Ah, nevermind.
I'm really looking forward to the new album. I'm just hoping for the Wow-effect. On the other hand - yeah, I don't know how this should look like cause obviously they've done almost everything...
Hmmm... we'll see. :D

Good point Marien, I never saw the Larry giving Bono a standing ovation.

I was in the inner circle at the edge of the orange section and Bono stopped just in front of me, I could see his face perfectly and it was what made me look back and see Larry, that made me understand how difficult it was what Bono was doing and how happy they were.

Being political (occasionally, and mostly in a very neutral way...taking no sides) was fine for U2 in their twenties.

Not so much in their 50s.

As for good life: well, yeah. Doesn't mean Bono can't get a good theme to write.

BVS: you don't remember ? Edge "Boots is about letting women taking over the world because men have blown it"/ Bono "Boots is about when we saw warplanes flying above a fair".

WAS is not your typical U2 song, I mean its as far of a departure U2 has ever gone.

To me it was a Johnny Cash/Alt Country tribute from U2, and I love it.

Everytime I hear the horns come in I can see a stampede of Wild Horses running.......:up:

BVS: you don't remember ? Edge "Boots is about letting women taking over the world because men have blown it"/ Bono "Boots is about when we saw warplanes flying above a fair".

Well those are not exclusive of each other... they both work. Many would believe we wouldn't have warplanes if women had ruled the world.

Being political (occasionally, and mostly in a very neutral way...taking no sides) was fine for U2 in their twenties.

Naivety in your twenties, understanding in your fifties. There's no reason why he/they can't be openly political. They just couldn't get away with knee jerk shaking of fists at any and every passing 'outrage'.

But anyway, that's going against what I said, which is that I don't want them to be overt politically, but would like to see him find a way to put his experiences into the songs... somehow.

WAS is not your typical U2 song, I mean its as far of a departure U2 has ever gone.

To me it was a Johnny Cash/Alt Country tribute from U2, and I love it.

Everytime I hear the horns come in I can see a stampede of Wild Horses running.......:up:

everytime i hear the horns come in i think of I Am Kloot :D
(love those horns though, and the intro, but the rest, meh)

What would surprise anyone?

I think U2 has a given set of colors to paint with, sometimes they don't use them all at the same time...but they have done it before. There isn't much more left for them to explore.

This is why I think some people are invariably disappointed.
What do you really expect? That U2 will suddenly become a progressive rock act with super-talented musicians in the band? I've loved U2 for 25 years but never have I thought they'd be able to pull off something like that. Playing in 3/4 time was nearly a landmark thing for them. Whereas, that is pretty basic stuff.

Or different tones...more distortion? Are they going to play metal? I doubt it.
Hip-hop influence? That's a possibility but what would it consist of, short of Bono hamfisting some rap couplets? It would resemble electronica or even dance, probably. They've done that.

I think what Danger Mouse could give them is focus.
That is, to concentrate on the elements that give the songs the 'magic'.
I don't know what else to call it...but the way U2 used to record songs was to jam them out, and then they would find that 'thing' they all loved and work from there. Could be a melody/riff, could be a bassline, could be a drumbeat, etc. That 'spark'.

IMO, (with very few exceptions) for the better part of 15 years (since Passengers) U2 have allowed the 'subtle' to be overcome by the 'direct' in almost every instance. Probably in a lot of cases pushing whatever made something seem worth working on, beyond the point of something 'magical'.
In my view, you can hear this on some of the alternate Bomb outtakes.

All Because Of You might be the shining example. That alternate take is not perfect but it sure sounds a lot more like energetic garage rock (by U2) than the sluggish rocker that ended up on the album. That's probably just a case of spending too much time tweaking it. And considering the amount of studio time they've logged since 1995, and the output produced from that time, it is nothing near a stretch to assume that U2's worst enemy in the studio is themselves. Maybe if they have this young 'phenom' saying to them "leave that alone, trust me!" we may not be surprised that they are using drum kits or synth bass or samples, or processed vocals, etc. but we could be surprised by the return of subtlety. One can dream...

that is such a shallow comment...

you don't think B-man has struggles with daily life? (you reckon he knows how to operate a washing machine?! :D just messing, but seriously) - i would imagine people in his position could sometimes feel quite alienated from everyday things, and surely that could hurt sometimes, no? and emotional struggles? well he's a human being isn't he? we all have those... and regrets, yeah, i'm sure we all have some of those too in some shape or form...

just because B-man's life looks like a bed of roses to many from an outside perspective doesn't mean he's immune to struggle and feelings and pain... in his song writing he just needs to cut out the crap and get to the bare bones of honesty really... spill his guts for all to see LOL sure it might not be pretty but at least it would have truth and not fake sincerity or whatever

Like I said there are certainly topics in there but the current state of his life significantly reduces what he can write about especially in what could connect with the average person. My post was simply trying to point out that with reduced subject matter it should not be a surprise for there to be so many songs that are pretty thin in substance, heavy in cliche and not much beyond the line or two message of the song. Bono can still write great lyrics it just seems to me that one of the major external effects on Bono's writing is how great his life is and that appears in a few songs on the post-Pop albums.

Can you please tell that to them El Guapo? I agree completely with your last paragraph, and that's what I'm hoping for. I do not however agree that there isn't anything left for them to explore, but to be honest if they are to have a period exploring something drastically different again, I don't expect this DM project to be it given that it was developed quickly while they were on tour. That isn't to say it can't be a new approach, or an honest, awesome album, just that I'm not expecting an AB departure.

well... i disagree strongly that pre-2000 u2 were neutral in their politics... fuck the revolution, full on support of bill clinton, bashing of reagan era foreign policy, cursing out the french president over nuclear testing... not exactly "neutral" stances. being pacifist is not being neutral.

secondly... why the hell couldn't they be more politically overt in their 50s? other acts who have always been socially conscious... neil young, bob dylan, bruce springsteen... continue to do so well into their 50's and beyond. the only reason that u2 isn't is because they haven't wanted to be of late, and that lays directly at the feet of bono and his not wanting to upset the politicians that he works with on his, admittedly, very noble causes.

I don't know that getting more political again is going to necessarily equate to better music. Let's face it - it might not, and then where will we be? Depressed. (I'm pretty sure that's beside your point, but I want to say it anyway.)

But yes, sometimes I do wish he'd step out of his safety zone and risk biting the hand that feeds.

It's nice to see an occasional moment of Bono breaking from that and saying something even remotely political, like when he sang a bit of Get Up, Stand Up during SBS in Moscow.

I think at the time there was chatter with context around that, about why people were hoping Bono would say something, but I don't remember what it was, but that's what's making me think that snippet was overtly political.

So anyway ... agreed. I think. Or something. God, I'm rambling.

Playing in 3/4 time was nearly a landmark thing for them. Whereas, that is pretty basic stuff.

which song/album are you referring to Inner El Guapo? i do remember them saying in an interview how they were really excited about playing in 6/8 time or something on either NLOTH or HTDAAB - can't remember which one, but the thing is, they'd already explored these rhythms ages ago, like on Acrobat for instance, which is either a fast 3/4 time or a slow 6/8 time, or maybe 12/8 time - and they did it so beautiful and sublime on Love Is Blindness too! but maybe they were just doing it unconsciously back then... who knows... so this whole thing about it being a "new thing" has baffled me for a while lol!!! U2 have been really innovative with their rhythms/meter/time in the past, the intro to Streets is the perfect example of this... i really think they are at their best when they just go with their instincts and don't overthink things...

All Because Of You might be the shining example. That alternate take is not perfect but it sure sounds a lot more like energetic garage rock (by U2) than the sluggish rocker that ended up on the album.

:up: yep, that song was well and truly castrated beyond all repair! :D

which song/album are you referring to Inner El Guapo? i do remember them saying in an interviews how they were really excited about playing in 6/8 time or something on either NLOTH or HTDAAB - can't remember which

Trip Through Your Wires is another example.

Bono mentioned being excited about Window in the Sky, around the time of U218.. I think he called it a "trippy psychedlic number in 6/8"

thanks! that was the one! i was having a total mental block there lol!!

yeah, i think there are quite a few with more unusual rhythms/meter - they've been doing it unconsciously for years - i think that's so great!

Ummmm... Boots isn't a political song. Its about Bono being inspired by the young people in the middle east going out and dancing despite all the war. "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you."

Breathe is also in 6/8, so it's not as if it's been that long since they stepped out of 4/4.

I don't know that getting more political again is going to necessarily equate to better music. Let's face it - it might not, and then where will we be? Depressed. (I'm pretty sure that's beside your point, but I want to say it anyway.)

But yes, sometimes I do wish he'd step out of his safety zone and risk biting the hand that feeds.

It's nice to see an occasional moment of Bono breaking from that and saying something even remotely political, like when he sang a bit of Get Up, Stand Up during SBS in Moscow.

I think at the time there was chatter with context around that, about why people were hoping Bono would say something, but I don't remember what it was, but that's what's making me think that snippet was overtly political.

So anyway ... agreed. I think. Or something. God, I'm rambling.
I think there were a few people of Amnesty International who got arrested or something like that.

Like I said there are certainly topics in there but the current state of his life significantly reduces what he can write about especially in what could connect with the average person. My post was simply trying to point out that with reduced subject matter it should not be a surprise for there to be so many songs that are pretty thin in substance, heavy in cliche and not much beyond the line or two message of the song. Bono can still write great lyrics it just seems to me that one of the major external effects on Bono's writing is how great his life is and that appears in a few songs on the post-Pop albums.

This is true.

However, I want to point out that many wonderful albums have been written from perspective of the rich and powerful. Recent example: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West. Past example: On The Beach by Neil Young. These records are decidedly meta and don't shy away from the artist's reaction to fans, critics, and their current situation as a celebrity. U2 themselves did an extraordinary job tackling this with ZooTV.

The problem is, U2 is no longer inspired by that. They don't care about it. So when they do write about those things on recent albums, it blows. So what does Bono care about? Family, friends, people, dying Acrifans, and the occasional Biblical passage. The issue with writing about those topics is that Bono has very few interesting or inspired things to say about them these days. So, realizing this, he decided to use the third person narrative and let his imagination do its thing on NLOTH. Surprise surprise, the result was phenomenal. Many of the above topics found their way into the music, but his detachment gave the songs depth beyond the message. And that's what's really been missing: depth.

The source of Bono's inspiration is irrelevant. Writers can be inspired by a slice of bread, a rain gutter, a homeless man or their bank account. What matters is the effort they take to write something lasting and unique. Bono needs to find a way to make his lyrics read less a plea to the G8 and more like a product of a competent lyricist with thoughts to communicate about daily life, and I don't believe that Bono really took the time to think through HTDAAB's lyrics in such a manner. As a matter of fact, I know he didn't, because I've read articles and interviews that stated most of his contributions were done on the go. On Love and Peace or Else, Bono went out of his way to connect his observations to a situation we can all relate to: watching the troops on TV with the sound off. But, instead of a profound or human response to the image, he speaks through a bumper sticker: WHERE IS THE LOVE??? That just won't cut it, and it never will.

So is there any news? I thought someone said that Danger Mouse made a statement about U2, but now I don't know where that was or if I just imagined it. :crack:

Back
Top Bottom