Hypothetical: How would you feel about GOYB if it wasn't the lead off single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still think it's a deeply average U2 song. I'd probably still consider it the weakest link on the album. The gasoline/submarine rhyme alone does wonders.

To me this is the sound of U2, for the first time, consciously trying to re-write a previous hit song (Vertigo). The fast paced delivery, blasting chords in the chorus, lots of less than serious lines in it...

I understand what he's saying though - when we got Boots, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to listen to it on repeat over and over and over again so that now when it comes on in the course of the album it's kinda jarring, it stands out and is hard to judge as part of the whole... at least for me.

My feelings exactly. I really do enjoy the song though, my sixth favorite song on the album, I think (being #6 on an album as great as this, I'd say is impressive). I do think it should have been released as a single, but not necessarily as the first one. I probably would have released Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, No Line on the Horizon, and Get on Your Boots (not necessarily in that order, I don't know what I'd release first).

I don't know if I would feel different about "Boots" if it wasn't the first single. It would probably still be among my least favorites on the album. I still have trouble getting past the whole "Get On Your Boots/Sexy Boots" thing. It just sounds so corny to me. I actually like some of the lyrics in the verses, but it seems like a blatant attempt at rewriting "Vertigo" IMO. The fact that they would put this out as a single (especially the first) really baffles me, especially when there is so much better material on the album. I really think they thought it hook in the Ipoder's again, ala "Vertigo". I don't think it worked. "Boots" would have been better as a B-Side IMO.

I think it would be much better if the main riff was only played by Adam and Edge played something complimentary to it, to make it more like one of the influences for the album (Led Zeppelin). Like if Edge played the 3rd to what Adam is playing. Harmonies. :)

Let Me In The Sound should have been its own song.

I probably would feel the same way about it. I loved it when I first heard it, and I love it now.

I personally can't stand the song, I think looking in hind sight that the boy's made a mis step dropping this one for the single. It doesn't capture the tone of the album at all and frankly this song shouldn't have made even the final cut to appear at all. I was looking back at my playlist and I've skipped this song almost every time.

Just think if we had heard Magnificent played at the Grammy's and all of the early apperances, now that would have really whipped evryone up in a frenzy!

THERE'S MY $.02

Yey, a thread that actually has a point :applaud: :wink:

Think this is a very good question and unfortunately not one that can be answered unbiased, so the "hypothetical" bears much truth. I do think it would change people's opinion quite a bit, though some might not agree to this. A single, in the end, is not "just another song" of the album but something that will be much more in the spotlight and hence face much more of the "love it/hate it" extremety than other songs. No one "just doesn't care" about a single, so the perception is completely different.

So yes, I do think if GOYB wouldn't have been a single, feelings would be different here.

Hm, interesting question.

I'm not one of the haters, I think Boots is a good song. It just became a bad lead single because of the bad promotion and lack of video.
But if it wasn't a single.. I think that it would have less haters, probably the haters would just skip it.. But would it change how I see the song? Nah, I don't think it would. I'd still like it. It's not a brilliant song, but it's okay. As others said, the Let Me in the Sound part is great!

I would probably still feel the same way. I like the song, and I would like it whether or not it was the single.

:up: Ditto. It makes me feel good, like dancing around, and that´s usually a good thing, so I enjoyed the song from day 1. Like someone previously said U2 has had some weird choices for a lead off single over the years, so I sort of learnt to relax and I don´t theorize that much about it.

MT

it's an "okay" song but should not have been the lead single. The title track, in some form, or Breathe should have been the first single. Followed by Magnificent. With Boots it seems they might have some damage to undo, or at best, a wasted opportunity.

I wouldn't feel any different. It's a fantastic, funny song accompanied by an amazing video that brings back feelings of the past.

I think it's one of the best on the album. It has this huge label painted on the song that spells out "ANTI-COOL". This wasn't going to be played on radio along with all the rest of the shit that gets played every hour.

It has lyrics that are in your face that make you think "what the fuck" and an excellent bridge that is reminiscent of Rage Against The Machine and Achtung Baby.

Yes, Magnificent with a simple Apple iPhone commercial would have sold more albums...but who the fuck cares when you have an excellent fan base like Interference?

I believe this album was for the fans, and not for the hypnotic hip-hop craving masses of this age and past.

Ever since the beach clips I've been madly in love with it. I'd still love the song, U2009 wouldn't be as cool though.

My feeling about Boots is that if many people here who slight the song had their wish granted and this song was left off the album, Boots would become one of those mythical b-sides that everyone loves to glorify and then second guess the band for leaving it off the album.

It's a great song and many people will be eating crow when they hear this song live on the tour and they are bopping around to it like everyone else.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see this song evolving...

Back
Top Bottom