How Would You Feel If Eno and Lanois Played Live On The Road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that this is opening a massive can of worms, but I'd venture to say that U2 wouldn't be anything at all without Eno & Lanois.

Boy was a great start. October was nice but ultimately a falter. War was a giant leap toward greatness, but wasn't enough to get them there on its own. Boy through War U2 were basically a (much) better version of The Killers. Of course, you can't second guess history; "what ifs" don't really matter for anything. But IMO, Eno & Lanois helped the band perfect the "U2 sound" and taught them the importance of the "soundscapes," a critical aspect of the best U2 songs and albums. I also hold them responsible for a great deal of the creativity and depth of U2's music---not that U2 couldn't write great things on their own now, but it was E&L who showed them the way in the beginning and have prodded them along since.

To me, Eno & Lanois are just a few "played on the songs" tics short of being as much a part of U2 as Bono, Edge, Larry & Adam.

would love to see them onstage playing the songs. particularly if it means not having the band playing to a load of pre-recorded stuff and one guy hidden under the stage..

I've heard some complain about the 'pre-recorded' bit. I've heard some say 'well they didn't do that in the 1980s.

That just doesn't hold water. U2 has used sequencers since the UF tour. Hence, U2 has used them for 25 of 29 years since the release of Boy. That translates to most of their career.

As for supplimetal keyboard parts... that has been played by a few folks since at least the ZooTV tour through present. That would mean 18 of the last 29 years since the release of their first album. Once again, a larger majority of their career.

I suppose the use of supplimental musicians and/or technology is a sticky subject for many. And it appears that it is hard to get all to agree on the subject.

For me, I think U2 have been pretty great at being U2. I will trust their decision to use or not use sequencers and/or supplimental musicians. It certainly isn't like Britney using a backing track for MOST of her vocals and having her own voice low in the mix because... well... the girl can't sing.

Why

There is no reason for Lanois and Eno to play on tour with U2. They produced the album and co wrote and played on a few songs. Its the same they have been doing since 1984 Unforgetable Fire. It has always been the four band members since day one and it will always be that way. You are never going see any back ground singers, backup guitar players etc. Whether Lanois and Eno plays live with U2 doesn't even factor in me going to the show.
It very special what four guys can pull off live like they do. You don't see many bands that don't add musicians for shows. U2 is not one of them.
MrB

There is no reason for Lanois and Eno to play on tour with U2. They produced the album and co wrote and played on a few songs. Its the same they have been doing since 1984 Unforgetable Fire. It has always been the four band members since day one and it will always be that way. You are never going see any back ground singers, backup guitar players etc. Whether Lanois and Eno plays live with U2 doesn't even factor in me going to the show.
It very special what four guys can pull off live like they do. You don't see many bands that don't add musicians for shows. U2 is not one of them.
MrB

You are a little off the mark as U2 has added musicians (under the stage)

What do you think?

I think that they should play live with them for the songs they have songwriting credits for on the new album.

As long as they were not "featured" out front it would work for me and I think they deserve it if they helped come up with it.

Plus there would be no mystery keyboard player under the stage ;]

I would welcome the idea greatly.

Back
Top Bottom