How many albums will U2 do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Winter is coming....

latest

And slowing down songs , playing in lower keys. Etc. I agree. I don't see Bono going on in his 70's a la Jagger. I WOULD like To see him prove is wrong.

Yeah, given the vocal improvement on the last few tours over Popmart and Elevation, I wouldn't worry about Bono's singing anytime soon.

If anything the question is, health wise, how much longer Larry's wrists and/or back can endure. Assuming of course Adam wants to rock on despite relatively fresh fatherhood.

I don't think Bono has the type of voice that can be sustained well into his 70s. They're already shortening tour lengths and travel and lengthening time off and he's still in his 50s.

Meanwhile, 360's 110 shows were draped across 3 years.

They just blasted through 75 shows in a matter of few months. Pretty sure that can't be less of a burden on the singer.

Oh, you.

He struggled many a night on this tour, and they provided many days off in between and are now shutting it down completely for months.

But yea, his voice will stay just as powerful into his 60s and 70s. That's normal and common.

Not to mention the songs that were sung in a lower key, or easier to not put as much strain on his voice....

I was thinking more along these lines...

Although u can argue he's speak-singing, there's no denying the hypnotic effect of his lower range.

Oh, you.

He struggled many a night on this tour, and they provided many days off in between and are now shutting it down completely for months.

But yea, his voice will stay just as powerful into his 60s and 70s. That's normal and common.

As opposed to days off, and better/weaker nights on...any U2 tour in history ? And U2 songs heading into lower keys isn't a new phenomenon either. They're shutting it down because they're working on new album. And voice changes are common in rock singers. For pretty much the same reasons his voice changes.

No one said he'd be at this stage in his 60s and 70s. The issue was him not being able to perform at all when he's "well into his 70s". That's ... 15-20 years+ from now. Anything can happen. A lot of people assume U2 will still be around by then.

As for Mick - yeah, he can still sing. Not really Bono's style of singing though. And if Edge is in Keith's "shape" by 70, pretty please, call it quits before then.

Bono destroyed his voice with cigarettes and not singing properly, but if he sings properly there's no reason his voice will degrade significantly over the coming years. It'll lose some power and the range will shrink, but it'll just give him a new voice, and he's already gone through quite a few anyway. His voice is better than it's been in 20 years though, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

As U2girl said, Larry's health is probably more of a concern than anything else. Or Adam deciding he wants to spend more time with his kid. But with tours being shorter, that'll probably be fine.

I strongly believe that SOE will be their final album, if they ever release it

Adam says Songs of Ascent is coming "down the pipeline". So... sometime after SOE

3 more including SOE. WE we will see SOA, then another, hefore one of them croaks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

One more after SOE, entitled "Man"

This definitely needs to happen. Get the same guy (forget his name... Guggis brother) to appear on the cover. Call the album Man. This is such an obvious no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No idea, but the next two albums should drop the 'songs of' to just release with 'Experience' and 'Ascent'.

If they do call it a day afterwards, the latter would be an awesome title to leave out there.

Sent from my fingertips.

If that is the case, there should be another album called 'senior citizen'.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using U2 Interference mobile app

They should do as many as they like. They've managed to stay relevant for a long time. Most bands barely stay relevant for a decade, unable to move when the zeitgeist is changing. They're into their 4th decade. And if they give up wanting to be relevant to the kids, what's wrong with making the music they want to make for a smaller audience? Plenty of artists do that and they don't got U2's billions to make an easy living on. So maybe the future no longer holds mega stages in huge stadiums, indoor arenas are more intimate anyway and you won't get wet from the rain either. There will remain a significantly large audience for U2's music for decades to come, even if the young kids and casual fans move on to the other fads. It's not like they're going to join Simple Minds and the other 80's rejects on the classic rock circuit for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom