How many albums will U2 do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are we suddenly having SOA as an album when it was cancelled in 2010?? Did I miss a new update or something? :confused:

In the latest article Bono mentions wanting to revisit and finish it in addition to SOE. But no it's not a given like the poster above makes it sound.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ah, just like they wanted to rework Pop some day I guess. Bono says he wants a lot of things that'll never happen :wink: Thanks mate.

Why are we suddenly having SOA as an album when it was cancelled in 2010?? Did I miss a new update or something? :confused:

In the latest article Bono mentions wanting to revisit and finish it in addition to SOE. But no it's not a given like the poster above makes it sound.

Ah, just like they wanted to rework Pop some day I guess. Bono says he wants a lot of things that'll never happen :wink: Thanks mate.

The Q article is not the only article where Bono has mentioned it. He brought up Songs Of Ascent multiple times in 2014 as Songs Of Innocence was released.

Songs Of Ascent was never cancelled, just postponed.

3 more.

SOE in 2016.

Another album in 2019-2020, with a big tour tying into the band's 40th anniversary. It'll feel like the last album/tour. But then,

Surprise! Another album/tour in 2023/2024/2025. Because 65 is the new 55, and they'll realize that even after turning 60, and having put 40 years in, they still enjoy being in U2, and still feel up to it. Tours from this point on will be in shorter bursts, much like the Rolling Stones have been doing the past few years.

The Q article is not the only article where Bono has mentioned it. He brought up Songs Of Ascent multiple times in 2014 as Songs Of Innocence was released.

Songs Of Ascent was never cancelled, just postponed.

Bono talks shit all the time, that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

They have to do a final tour and announce as a final tour. We need a last chance to say goodbye. To be honest, I don't think I could keep myself from bawling at one of their last gigs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't even want to think about the final tour setlist outcries around here. That's another 2-3 more albums to get in the way!

They have to do a final tour and announce as a final tour. We need a last chance to say goodbye. To be honest, I don't think I could keep myself from bawling at one of their last gigs.

But what if the band is still recording and touring 20 years from now?

The Rolling Stones are doing short outings each year. That's what they want to do and that fits where they are. Fleetwood Mac And The Eagles on the other hand are only a little younger than the Stones and they are still doing massive 100 date tours.

Given that, I wish people would stop thinking about "the end" of the band as it could be very far off in the future.

B.B. King was still doing as many shows as U2 does up until a year before he passed at age 89.

I don't think Bono has the type of voice that can be sustained well into his 70s. They're already shortening tour lengths and travel and lengthening time off and he's still in his 50s.

And slowing down songs , playing in lower keys. Etc. I agree. I don't see Bono going on in his 70's a la Jagger. I WOULD like To see him prove is wrong.

While Jagger is an amazing physical performer, especially at his age, his singing is another story. He more or less yells the words over the backup singers, who are actually singing.

The best performer of a certain age is Springsteen. He's physical, a good guitarist, and remembers lyrics and guitar parts to a wide variety of songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

I don't want to see Bono performing at 70. I kind of cringe when I see him performing now!

I don't think Bono has the type of voice that can be sustained well into his 70s. They're already shortening tour lengths and travel and lengthening time off and he's still in his 50s.

I disagree. They just blasted through 76 shows at a faster rate than they did on 360. That's 76 shows in 6 months, a rate comparable to any rates over their career. Plus they are still doing back to back nights. The Stones stopped doing back to back nights in the 1990s.

I don't know what will happen to Bono's voice, and I doubt even he knows how things will turn out. The band has put on some of their best live performances in 2015. The shows are the same length and no one around the band has stated that something has physically happened to any of the members which would prevent them from doing shows or forcing them to cut back on shows.

Rush is stopping with long tours and they have given the reason because of physical problems with the drummer and guitarist. So that is very clear. But there is nothing like this with U2 with their schedule essentially mirroring what they have done in the past.

We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be counting them out already at this stage. Absolutely no reason to at all.

While Jagger is an amazing physical performer, especially at his age, his singing is another story. He more or less yells the words over the backup singers, who are actually singing.

The best performer of a certain age is Springsteen. He's physical, a good guitarist, and remembers lyrics and guitar parts to a wide variety of songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

From the live performances I have seen on youtube, his singing LIVE sounds the same in 2015 as it did in 1982.

4 times on the I&E tour. That's not going to happen!

:huh: um, ok...

All I'm saying is; I don't like movies like Saw, gore for gore sake I find "cringeworthy". So what do I do? I don't go see them, I don't wish they would stop making them.

I don't want to see Bono performing at 70. I kind of cringe when I see him performing now!

Somehow I don't think Bono will ever be quite as cringeworthy as he was during the Vertigo tour (when he was a sprightly 45).

They are musically quite limitted and constrained of course to the 4 of them. So unlike say Springsteen or Neil Young who can flip between genres and band mates at will, it will be a lot harder for U2 from here on in. I think Bono's ability to come up with lyrics is a big issue too. So I'm calling SOE as their last album.

No way is SOE the last U2 album. They'll make records til ill health stops them.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom