How long will U2 be gone for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I think In Rainbows is also widely regarded as middle of the road amongst Radiohead fans which is why I used Bomb. Those that rank Bomb high on their list in here usually are newer to U2 and music.

Wait I thought Radiohead was the topic at hand :wink:

if u2 break up will interference become a radiohead themed forum with a small section dedicated the band formerly known as "the 2"

No, this isn't trolling...

No, it's not, you dumbass. Read the rest of what I wrote. In short: each post Zooropa record has been weaker than the previous one, No Line and Bomb aside. They should quit while they're still ahead, before they completely destroy their rep like the Stones, or they should put out multiple EPs a year. But I doubt they'll do either, they'll continue to dilute their music, Edge will continue to not try at all, and they'll put out a record in 2015.

so in short: each one except for 50% of them

Not quite. Passengers>Pop>2000>2004<2009

Four records, each not as good as what came before, though three of them are good, the bad songs get worse and more frequent and the good stuff isn't as good. Then came a terrible record, and what followed is an improvement on Bomb, but still not as good as any record released prior to 2004. Unless they change how they look at making music and adopt an attitude akin to the Flaming Lips, Wilco, Radiohead, or U2 pre-2000, they won't be adding anything of note to their discography, and they'll probably be adding to the rot on their reputation - like the Stones. There is no point to them sticking around. If they don't change their attitude they should retire before they shame themselves. And I've said it a few times, but a steady flow of EPs is the way for them to go. 2-4 a year, starting now. Then they can put out a lot of stuff, and not work the life out of it. But I say there will be a record in 2015.

I don't know what's worse, Radiohead fanatics or "RH fans that go out of their way to explain their level of fandom, admitting they like the band, and that the band is talented, yet is not as talented or as great as the media makes them out to be, but does like them a lot, but not too much, for that would be too hipsterish, no, instead they like the band but can't just admit to the fact without smuggly pointing out the existence of far better artists, while implying (or sometimes outrightly stating) that the RH fan on the other end of the conversation is uneducated in music, hence...that fan's opinion lacks credibility, while all the while...." oh - Fuck it. I'll start over.

I don't know what's worse. Radiohead fanatics or BVS.

:wink:

Hollow Island said:
Not quite. Passengers>Pop>2000>2004<2009

Four records, each not as good as what came before, though three of them are good, the bad songs get worse and more frequent and the good stuff isn't as good. Then came a terrible record, and what followed is an improvement on Bomb, but still not as good as any record released prior to 2004. Unless they change how they look at making music and adopt an attitude akin to the Flaming Lips, Wilco, Radiohead, or U2 pre-2000, they won't be adding anything of note to their discography, and they'll probably be adding to the rot on their reputation - like the Stones. There is no point to them sticking around. If they don't change their attitude they should retire before they shame themselves. And I've said it a few times, but a steady flow of EPs is the way for them to go. 2-4 a year, starting now. Then they can put out a lot of stuff, and not work the life out of it. But I say there will be a record in 2015.

You ruined any credibility you may have had left by saying passengers is better than pop.

You ruined any credibility you may have had left by saying passengers is better than pop.

The best songs on Pop are as good as U2 gets, but half of it is weak, or the worst U2 had done up to that point. Passengers is consistent, U2's most daring work, had a few outstanding songs and no bad ones. Still not as good as most albums that preceeded it, though.

Why do so many U2 fans get defensive when Radiohead are brought up?

The best songs on Pop are as good as U2 gets, but half of it is weak, or the worst U2 had done up to that point. Passengers is consistent, U2's most daring work, had a few outstanding songs and no bad ones. Still not as good as most albums that preceeded it, though.

I will give you this much, the good songs on PoP are damn good; Mofo, Do You Feel loved, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Velvet Dress

The only song i really dont like is IGWSHA.

Why do you insist on bringing up Radiohead all of the time? Why are you calling people dumbasses? To me that is getting kinda defensive.

Take a chill, bro. :hug:

Passengers wasn't U2, it was Passengers.
Which half of Pop would you define as weak? I personally believe that Pop is U2's most daring work, because they put out something they weren't quite comfortable with (and I happen to be one of those people who liked the outcome - it has some unintended consequences that I think U2 could never have imagined, but are great anyway).

I will give you this much, the good songs on PoP are damn good; Mofo, Do You Feel loved, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Velvet Dress

The only song i really dont like is IGWSHA.

Why do you insist on bringing up Radiohead all of the time? Why are you calling people dumbasses? To me that is getting kinda defensive.

Take a chill, bro. :hug:

I don't like God either. Playboy has great lyrics, but the music doesn't do it for me. Staring at the Sun is almost great but something's missing. LNOI annoys me, though it was one of the best songs on Popmart. I like the music for Miami a lot - the beats are amazing, almost Aphex Twin quality - but the vocal and lyrics are pretty bad.

I don't call people dumbasses, just BVS, and for good reason.

I really want to know why people get so angry when Radiohead get brought up.

Passengers wasn't U2, it was Passengers.
Which half of Pop would you define as weak? I personally believe that Pop is U2's most daring work, because they put out something they weren't quite comfortable with (and I happen to be one of those people who liked the outcome - it has some unintended consequences that I think U2 could never have imagined, but are great anyway).

Passengers was U2 under a different name because of management and the record company. Songs written by the band and Eno, same as No Line, except No Line had a sixth songwriter. If that is U2, why isn't Passengers? Eno was very important on OST 1, and the same goes for NLOTH. Eno, Lanois, and the band would all jam - they were group compositions, sometimes based on loops or sequences by Eno and Lanois. And surely the lead role in jamming would change - that's what happens. If No Line is a U2 album then so is OST 1.

I hope that they break up. They haven't put out a record without a bad song since 1993, and their bad songs have been increasing in frequency and getting worse. Well, Bomb is all bad songs, so NLOTH is a step up. While it has some very good songs, they seem to have run out of ideas. Look at all the lazy Edge-isms on their last three records, the "Stay" quoting outro on MOS, the uninspired, nonsensical lyrics. No Line had a few really good songs, and some very good lyrics, but the ones they made without Eno and Lanois are fucking garbage. Those guys saved the record, and have made u2 the band they are. U2 can't do it on their own any more; their tour is a greatest hits joke, Bono looks like a pathetic overweight old man in his leather suit (When he dresses normally, he looks pretty good)...the whole thing is just pretty sad.

If they stick around, I think they'd be best suited by regularly releasing EPs that are unified in sound and concept (NLOTH would have been an incredible 6-7 song EP), but they'lll probably put out a record in 2015. And it will be bad. So, they'll be gone for 4 years.

Do you even like U2?

Hollow Island said:

Where did I say anything about fucking radiohead? I could give two shits about radiohead

I reckon Limbs is superior to Rainbows... as an album. Rainbows has three of Radiohead's finest moments: Weird Fishies, House O' Cards, ReckoneR.

That doesn't matter though. U2 do.

I'm just worried about whatever's going on with LP13.. How is something not ready for release yet? They have all this material, an extensive tour of North America is coming up and they've just dropped the number of NLOTH songs in the set down to a mere 3. This next leg of U2360 is shaping up to be very greatest hits in nature, which I don't feel should be the case with such an abundance of new material sitting in a vault somewhere.

This talk of 2012 is worrying.

So hopefully they're not really going anywhere, but instead are touring and releasing simultaneously.

radiohead was good back in the day, i mean 'the bends' was great. But seriously, they are the most overrated piece of shit nowdays it isnt even funny. I guess they might be "okay", even though they haven't released anything worth a fuck since H2TT. And really i have no idea why some people drink their piss they way they do...oh well

Jim Jones
:sexywink:

:up::up::up:

The greatest and most true quote ever

I really want to know why people get so angry when Radiohead get brought up.

I think you're the only one that has demonstrated anger.

The Radiohead comparison is just tiresome, they are two completely different bands, it's like going on a Jenny Lewis forum and always bringing up Bjork.

It's apples and oranges.

The sooner you understand that the better :shrug:

I had a dream last night that Edge's 'we're not ready to commit to any one project yet" comments were fake, and that i had woken up to numerous magazines having interviews with the band about a mega-album featuring DM, RedOne etc that would be coming out before the NA leg.
My subconscious loves to torture me - it sucked quite a lot waking up and realising it was just a dream :sad:

I really don't think you can accuse cobl of not listening to enough music as he is one of B&C's regular posters.

So, what you're saying, is that he listens to more music than us just because he posts often in the Bang and the Clatter? I really hope that wasn't what you had intended to say.

Back
Top Bottom