How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope it isn't, but who cares what the mainstream thinks! Most people I know haven't heard it, and it is not getting a lot of radio play. What's important is what you think of it.

It is not popular in mainstream music. At all.

I blame a ridiculous choice for a lead single, a horrible promotional campaign, and, honestly, an excellent album with nothing that is really very "radio friendly". That is to say they should have consciously put at least one sure-fire hit on it to help it sell.

And yes, I DO CARE what people think of U2. I DO CARE how they do on the charts and in sales. They are my favorite band and naturally I want to see them succeed in the same way I want ot see my favorite sports teams succeed. I am a fan and take pride in U2, especially when they are successful. Their past successes have made them into the band that I love.

it's odd to me that it's not doing well. i'm 22 years old, and my friends who don't like U2 really seem to like this record. And they are the definition of mainstream music goers. But as for on the charts etc., not that well. I don't listen to the radio often so I couldn't tell you how often I hear it around here, but my friend from NY says he hears Magnificent a good bit.

I blame a ridiculous choice for a lead single, a horrible promotional campaign, and, honestly, an excellent album with nothing that is really very "radio friendly".

Pfft. Blame yourself for once man.

That is to say they should have consciously put at least one sure-fire hit on it to help it sell.

I think they did do this. Six months to rework Stand Up Comedy and write Crazy Tonight? Yeah, sure they did. Just goes to show that no one gives a damn about U2's recent "pop" efforts, not until they win some Grammys.

As far as radio goes, I've probably only heard Boots no more than five times on any radio station in my area, and I think I'm a pretty big radio listener. I don't even know if Magnificent has been delivered to radio yet... since no station around here has even played that yet (except once as a preview). Disappointing to me.

frankly i'm happy for a u2 release where we don't have to see them goddamn everywhere.

after the way too much hype for atylcb and htudab, this is just so refreshing.
refreshing would be if good music would actually get played on the radio, tv etc and become part of the public consciousness

U2 (among others) not getting much airplay only leads to Miley Cyrus dominated mainstream

I would call it depressing rather than refreshing

I watch VH-1 all the time, haven't seen much press about it (I know they don't really play music videos anymore) but I was sort of surprised at the lack of television press. My girlfriend loved Boots right of the bat when I bought her NLOTH last week as a gift deal. Go figure (she is not knowledgeable in U2 or a fan). I've avoided this board due to being busy but just wondered if the album is turning into another POP in terms of reception by the mainstream.

Outside of U2 fandom, is it Beyonce big?

Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 3.679.000
U2 No Line On The Horizon 2.584.000

Best Selling Albums in 2009
Lady Gaga The Fame 1.603.000
Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 1.428.000
Soundtrack Twilight 1.419.000
Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 1.413.000
Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream 1.389.000
Taylor Swift Fearless 1.338.000
Pink Funhouse 1.087.000
Nickelback Dark Horse 1.042.000
Britney Spears Circus 998.000

Best Selling Albums Released in 2009
Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted 853.000
Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You 846.500
Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 813.000
The Fray The Fray 664.000
The Prodigy Invaders Must Die 588.000
Rascal Flatts Unstoppable 539.000
Franz Ferdinand Tonight: Franz Ferdinand 527.000
Les Enfoirés Les Enfoirés Font Leur Cinéma 2009 490.000

Pink Funhouse 1.087.000

So U2 is selling well in the USA? When I say Beyonce big, I've noticed that she has a load of singles and a "definitive" or mega-hit song in that Single Ladies. Like she seems to have buzz over the past year kind of Buzz. Sort of like U2 and Vertigo. I was wondering is U2 on its way to that kind of bigness?

So U2 is selling well in the USA? When I say Beyonce big, I've noticed that she has a load of singles and a "definitive" or mega-hit song in that Single Ladies. Like she seems to have buzz over the past year kind of Buzz. Sort of like U2 and Vertigo. I was wondering is U2 on its way to that kind of bigness?

those number are worldwide I'm afraid, that's how music busines looks like right now...
and no, the albums is doing great :up:, but the singles are flopping on the charts so far :down:

Yep, let's face it -- U2 are now a small band.

Coming next: U2 busking at your local 7-11.

The question to be asked nowadays is: can any CD-release galvanize the masses anymore? Will an album (that has appeal outside of the MTV/Teen crowd) like OK, Computer or Nevermind ever exist again?

When concert prices come back down to 70s/80s' levels, I will conclude that the world's lack of CD-sales and promotion is a good thing, but until then I'm starting to worry if, instead, it is forcing established artists to put all they money and energy into "big", overhyped live tours, and at the same time killing off smaller, newer, local artists.

So... where's my $250 for one U2 ticket as the economy crashes?

The question to be asked nowadays is: can any CD-release galvanize the masses anymore? Will an album (that has appeal outside of the MTV/Teen crowd) like OK, Computer or Nevermind ever exist again?

I don't remember OK, Computer, but Nevermind was THE mtv/teen crowd album... and waaaay overrated :reject:

I'm sorry but I think the new album is already lost on mainstream listeners. Just look at the comments on this board and how polarized fans are, the only constant is that almost everyone like Magnificent, the rest of the songs have divided people. The album seems to be doing well in sales rank, I think it would be interesting to see the physical record sales + digital to get a better perspective.

it's not doing well, and i'm more than ok with it. the worse it does in the mainstream, the better the album, normally. there's a reason why you don't hear bands like Animal Collective, Radiohead, Deerhunter, etc., they have substance.

I don't think there's a law that you have to be crap to be able to appeal to people who do not listen to 50+ new albums a year
:shrug:

Mainstream radio is a complete mess in today's world. The crap they promote is stuff of little substance with its objective to get you to order a fruity overpriced drink at the club while trying to look cool while doing it.

NLOTH is a completely relevant rock album from a great band in U2. And when U2 unleashes it live it will turn heads for the better being. At the same time 2.5 million worldwide is pretty good.

It's certainly dying in the arse in Australia, slid all the way down to 32 last week. Very rare for a U2 album to do that. PLATNIUMx1, meanwhile scummy artists such as Kings Of Leon and Pink's most recent albums are sitting on PLATNIUMx7. Poor effort for the boys down under. The thing is, the sales of NLOTH can be attributed to existing fans methinks, which they have a lot of. I don't see how U2 might have captured a new audience unfortunately. The album deserves to sell better. It's PoP all over again.

I do wonder if things might've been different if Magnifico was the first single.

The album is the best selling album worldwide so far, so I fail to see how right now it could be any more mainstream in that regard

What's the use of insulting the taste of the mainstream? U2 is a big band, and they know it, and thats what they want to be. In this regard, they are absolutely failing with NLOTH. The large numbers of album sales are, as someone above stated, most likely from existing fans.

Pink Funhouse 1.087.000

If this is how we're judging mainstream, then why are so many ignoring this? :scratch:

If this is not how you are judging "mainstream" then how are you judging it? I live in a shit market to make any kind of judgement, our radio formats here are R&B/ Pop, 90's rock/ heavy metal, and Country music...

And since MTV and VH1 are no longer even close to relevant...

Because outselling everyone else in the world is not enough...apparently :tsk:

exactly.

i guess i'm not sure what some of you people want. would you feel better if "The Hills" changed their theme song to "Crazy Tonight"? would you like to hear "Breathe" while watching "My Super Sweet 16"?

i don't get it. the album is great. it's selling well. the reviews have been mostly positive. and i find the fact that the mainstream (16 year olds) aren't jumping all over it to be a positive.

Yep, let's face it -- U2 are now a small band.

Now here's a man that deals with facts...:lmao:

OK Computer NEVER did this. It was a critics fave, but never even came close to galvanizing.

When concert prices come back down to 70s/80s' levels, I will conclude that the world's lack of CD-sales and promotion is a good thing, but until then I'm starting to worry if, instead, it is forcing established artists to put all they money and energy into "big", overhyped live tours, and at the same time killing off smaller, newer, local artists.

Ticket prices will never come down that cheap.

And there is no killing off smaller, newer bands... Give me a break, this isn't Wal-Mart where the big guy comes in and puts the small guy out of business. That's not how music works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom