How does NLOTH compare with Viva La Vida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least during this U2 album release, rock is back in the fold with bands like ColdPlay, The Killers, and Kings of Leon. That's much better then the discussions we were having during ATYCLB and HTDAAB when we were all mourning the fact that artists like NSYNC and Britney Spears were the only ones getting attention.

I'm happy there are other good rock bands I can listen to when I'm not listening to U2.

Here we go again, more comparisons with Coldplay and their music. Can we stop trying to promote Coldplay as some kind of U2 successor or that U2 create similar music to Coldplay. We are just fueling all the speculation and rubbish that the media keeps feeding us and the latest news aregarding Bono's comment about Chris Martin were completely taken out of context. I heard that live and it was clear Bono was being his usual ironic/sarcastic self.
We know that there are people who hate Bono and will use any excuse to criticise him, however innocent it was.

I like coldplays music very much however viva did not get where it should have had. They where trying to deaprat from a timid sound into a more elbarote one. But still, they refrained themselves. They did not and cannot let lose as U2 did with no line, and for that reason, I prefer no line on the horizon.

We are just fueling all the speculation and rubbish that the media keeps feeding us and the latest news aregarding Bono's comment about Chris Martin were completely taken out of context. I heard that live and it was clear Bono was being his usual ironic/sarcastic self.
We know that there are people who hate Bono and will use any excuse to criticise him, however innocent it was.

Dont derail the thread, we already have a section to comment on that incident.

I like both albums but NLOTH's songs are like a delicious multi-course dinner and VLV's are a box of assorted chocolates. I want to savor one from end-to-end, and the other is just something I randomly pick one from when I'm in the mood.

Mmm, food. :drool:

Songs/Lyrics? Bono would have gotten slaughtered for writing half the stuff that coldplay wrote on Viva. IMO what sets a bono lyric apart from most is you actually believe he has experienced what he is writing about. Chris Martin (I do like Coldplay's sound) seems like he wants to write a song that sounds like something or someone else. The lyrics seems empty but the sound is good

I really thought this one the longest. I think this one is based the most on earlier work and how it copares to this. I do not think the lyrics of nloth are up there with their very best work but they are still good. VLV however is a different story. Maybe I should have mentoined that if i were to pick a winner it would be nloth on this one but I think it is too close to call in the personal experience departement

i do love coldplay, although I enjoyed their first two "parachutes" and "rush of blood" more. I think this last album was good but I really hand it to ENO, the little things on the album that were great like the beat in "Lost" and "London" had our man Brian all over them. They lyrics, singing, guitar playing...stripped down they really don't do anything for me. It was ENO that really make me enjoy that last album.

lol my girl loves u2 but she thinks VLV is better. I actually got upset when she told me the lyrics are better. :mad: she said she loves the new album but bono can't write good lyrics anymore....i told her i wished bono wrote the line "you might be a big fish in a little pond...doesn't mean you've won. cuz u only caught a bigger worm." rigghtttt

"i was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross. every eye looking every other way, counting down to the pain would stop. at the moment of surrender, a vision of visibility. i did not notice the passers by, and they did not notice me..."

debate over...goodbye :wave:

i do love coldplay, although I enjoyed their first two "parachutes" and "rush of blood" more. I think this last album was good but I really hand it to ENO, the little things on the album that were great like the beat in "Lost" and "London" had our man Brian all over them. They lyrics, singing, guitar playing...stripped down they really don't do anything for me. It was ENO that really make me enjoy that last album.

lol my girl loves u2 but she thinks VLV is better. I actually got upset when she told me the lyrics are better. :mad: she said she loves the new album but bono can't write good lyrics anymore....i told her i wished bono wrote the line "you might be a big fish in a little pond...doesn't mean you've won. cuz u only caught a bigger worm." rigghtttt

"i was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross. every eye looking every other way, counting down to the pain would stop. at the moment of surrender, a vision of visibility. i did not notice the passers by, and they did not notice me..."

should be ..."of vision over visibility" above.

I wonder if Bono was inspired by Blake in that line. Blake speaks of seeing through, not with, the eyes; the eyes being merely the material means by which the mind/imagination actually does the "seeing". Thus: Seeing through=Imagination=Vision, whereas Seeing With=mechanics/materialism=(mere)visibility

For all the folks who have heard NLOTH, how does it compare to Viva La Vida? A ton of the reviews I've read seem to bring up Coldplay, either hinting that they've passed up U2 or are very close to passing them based on how NLOTH does.

IMHO, I'd give Viva La Vida a 6.5/7 out of 10. There are a ton of "good" songs on the album, but none of them make my spine tingle or do anything other-wordly for me. I have not heard anything other than "Get on your boots" so I cannot compare. However, I'd like to hear what people have to say.

So, what are your objective thoughts?

walkon274 you are the biggest troll i have ever seen. alot of the reviews i have seen....blah blah fucking blah....get a sack or set of tits and make up your own mind.................call me when coldplay sells their 145th million album

walkon274 you are the biggest troll i have ever seen. alot of the reviews i have seen....blah blah fucking blah....get a sack or set of tits and make up your own mind.................call me when coldplay sells their 145th million album

wow a tad harsh no?? He/she was just asking a question... plus he did say he didn't think it was the best thing ever CP VLV that is. As for him thinking coldplay is about to pass U2 well he is wrong on that but why attack him like that?

remind her of the best fish line ever....a woman needs a fish like a man needs a bicycle...............radiohead a close second with big fish eat the little one..............so off on a tangent.....i love coldplays sound but these guys have to be the biggest posers out there today??

wow a tad harsh no?? He/she was just asking a question... plus he did say he didn't think it was the hest thing ever CP VLV that is.

maybe so but every thread i have seen this person is always posting some pretty silly stuff...i truly believe the question was asked just to start some bs...anyway just my opinion....that is the thing that sucks about posts v. actual conversation you never know the true intent...

:doh: THATS IT! love it or hate it coldplay is now famous, and yes they made a decent album, one that has sell, millions, but c'mon, there's nothing in VLV worth to compare with NLOTH, is not that I love U2 and hate cplay, but I wont waste time in this issue, just enjoy music!, stop doing this it seems like we were afraid of coldplay being better that U2 or too afraid of losing something, the guys just released an amazing album, (yes is not perfect) but nothing really is, and well... im actually going to finish this, and go.. to the no line on the horizon, and enjoy this Magnificent, album bye!:hug::wave:

I just put Viva and No Line on my I-pod playlist today and alternated the songs between the two albums, and I can honestly say, No Line blows Viva La Vida away!! In my opinion Viva is pretty boring compared to Horizon.

maybe so but every thread i have seen this person is always posting some pretty silly stuff...i truly believe the question was asked just to start some bs...anyway just my opinion....that is the thing that sucks about posts v. actual conversation you never know the true intent...

oh okay if that is the case ( and i didn't know) then he is asking for it! sorry my bad!

I wish NLOTH was produced like VLV. :|

With all the good songs fully realised and perfectly executed.

The rockiest song I think they have is One I Love - which I really like - I think its a B-side but its quality on the Live 2003 album.

Haven't heard it, might check it out.

Songs/Lyrics? Bono would have gotten slaughtered for writing half the stuff that coldplay wrote on Viva. IMO what sets a bono lyric apart from most is you actually believe he has experienced what he is writing about. Chris Martin (I do like Coldplay's sound) seems like he wants to write a song that sounds like something or someone else. The lyrics seems empty but the sound is good

Bono is a much better songwriter, Chris Martin couldn't write a Please or a Bad to save his life, but he's still pretty good. :wink:

VLV is still pretty good, but Rush Of Blood is the best Coldplay album. :up:

:doh: THATS IT! love it or hate it coldplay is now famous, and yes they made a decent album, one that has sell, millions, but c'mon, there's nothing in VLV worth to compare with NLOTH, is not that I love U2 and hate cplay, but I wont waste time in this issue, just enjoy music!, stop doing this it seems like we were afraid of coldplay being better that U2 or too afraid of losing something:

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

On an other forum in the music section a lot of people think NLOTH is rubbish compared to VLV and that 00s Coldplay is better than 00s U2. Pop kills everything CP has made and then it stamps on it. :wink:

Why am I doing this? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom