Here comes the press rollout...Time magazine cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn, now you are making me feel old. So u2 has apparently succeded at pissing off yet another generation. I wonder what type of stunt they have planned to outrage the next generation

Earth 2030
:sexywink:

The haters will just love seeing U2 on the cover of both time and rolling stone the next time they buy their groceries. It will give them heartburn..... :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

LOL. Well, those grocery stores had better damn well prepare their We're So Sorry Packets now, including an apology letter, free coupons, and a corporate "mea culpa" statement to post on Twitter for all the f-ing whiners whose individual in-store experiences will be irreparably harmed by such a traumatic invasion of their personal space and privacy.

Joshua Tree landed them on the cover through the strength of its songs.

Songs Of Innocence landed them on the cover through the shamefulness of its release.

Different world.

Songs Of Innocence landed them on the cover through the shamefulness of its release.

Different world.

My God give it a rest

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The negative reaction from the average laymen tends to occur when the band is on everybody's radar...it's not a good thing for us fans because the overexposure means the casual listeners will also be trying to get tickets...getting GA tickets for Vertigo in North America was hardly an easy endeavor (fucked up even more by the presale)...now we once again have the band on everyone's radar more than they have been in almost ten years and an impending arena tour...

Just some food for thought, I guess.

Different world.

Fuck are you ever a nerd. Nothing but bitch bitch bitch. There was nothing shameful about their release. If anything it's caused people to talk about music again and consider it's importance. It's caused the pretentious douchebags who download steal music daily to get on their self imposed pedestals and whine about a band giving away a free album. At least someone is paying attention to the state of the industry and trying to find new ways to promote music.

Different world.

Different world indeed. In 1987, one could hear tracks from upstarts like a 16-year old Debbie Gibson, as well as talented "old timers" like Paul McCartney. Michael Jackson did not have to endure any over-exposure backlash with "Bad". MTV was happy to play videos, as were many other stations. In fact, U2 set a record at the time for the longest #1 rock video (WOWY). Radio was happy to play a deep album track like "Trip Through Your Wires" along with a big hit like WOWY.

Back then, Soundscan didn't exist, so music shops reported their "sales" with whatever bias they wanted. Music execs loved to see the big new album from one of their artists rise up the charts, hit #1 and then slowly decline.

In today's world, you need to hit #1 (or at least the top 3) immediately (week 1) or your work is a failure. Today, Disney and YouTube play big roles in what artists may hit it big next (Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber). MTV? No one watches that. Radio is one big corporation and they select "hits" they wish to play. Little artists that aren't well known have almost no chance. Bigger artists may make it, but only if they haven't ticked off the corporate big wigs and made nice songs for the Top 40.

Commercials, sadly, are the big way to hear a lot of new music or even older music. Kings of Leon got a big jump when "Molly's Chambers" was used in a car commercial. Movies can also help artists break out.

The general public no longer buys tapes, CD's, vinyl and are even passing on mp3's. Music is either streamed or stolen.

So yeah, a lot has changed.

We *ALL* get that you don't like the new album (and I felt the same as you initially, but after a few listens, I really enjoy it now - it is a grower). But ALL artists, not just U2, need to find a different way of making a living from their work. U2 don't need the $$. However, a new artist, struggling to get his/her/their work heard might find limited resources. Touring helps, but as an unknown, they'll tour only small places. They can put the album on iTunes, but who will buy it? Radio won't play it. MTV?

Maybe this format that U2/Apple chose for release didn't work as well as hoped (although I think it did brilliantly - you knew there would be backlash). But U2 is trying and maybe their next attempt will change things further. And this, in turn, could help all artists.

My point is that at this time, U2 don't need to be on the cover of Time for their music. They have more than succeeded (and did so again with this album, IMO). Putting them on the cover for a revolutionary way of distributing music is arguably more important - and is worth discussing. 1987 was done, let's think about the future. Because the next album may be one you adore, and you may be the one wishing people would give it a chance.

Different world indeed. ...My point is...They have more than succeeded (and did so again with this album, IMO). Putting them on the cover for a revolutionary way of distributing music is arguably more important - and is worth discussing. 1987 was done, let's think about the future. Because the next album may be one you adore, and you may be the one wishing people would give it a chance.

Brilliant response.

Putting them on the cover for a revolutionary way of distributing music is arguably more important - and is worth discussing.

It's great, that U2's on the cover and all, but can we stop calling what they did "revolutionary"? For crying out loud, it's not "revolutionary".

The LP was revolutionary. FM radio was revolutionary. The CD was revolutionary. The MP3 was revolutionary. The iPod was revolutionary. All those things completely changed the way music is distributed. All U2 did was use Apple's existing infrastructure...and an ageing one at that...to drop their record in people's library for free. There's nothing "revolutionary" about that. They gave a record away for free, and Apple subsidised it. While it may not have happened on this scale, all this has been done before.

And I'm not sure most artists would agree that this model is revolutionary, since 99.99999% of musicians aren't in a position to make this kind of deal with Apple or anyone else. This is something that U2 and a very few other artists are in a position to do.

U2 is on the cover of Time for the same reason they were on the cover in 1987...because Time thinks putting them on the cover will sell magazines.

The rest of your post is well taken.

Can anyone not in the US pick me up a copy of the Time magazine with U2 on the copy? I'll be glad to pay for the magazine and postage and a little more if someone can help out. Thanks. Please PM if you can help.

It's great, that U2's on the cover and all, but can we stop calling what they did "revolutionary"? For crying out loud, it's not "revolutionary".

The LP was revolutionary. FM radio was revolutionary. The CD was revolutionary. The MP3 was revolutionary. The iPod was revolutionary. All those things completely changed the way music is distributed. All U2 did was use Apple's existing infrastructure...and an ageing one at that...to drop their record in people's library for free. There's nothing "revolutionary" about that. They gave a record away for free, and Apple subsidised it. While it may not have happened on this scale, all this has been done before.

And I'm not sure most artists would agree that this model is revolutionary, since 99.99999% of musicians aren't in a position to make this kind of deal with Apple or anyone else. This is something that U2 and a very few other artists are in a position to do.

U2 is on the cover of Time for the same reason they were on the cover in 1987...because Time thinks putting them on the cover will sell magazines.

The rest of your post is well taken.

It hasn't been done before (album 100% free + automatically downloaded which totally changes the number of people you can reach and how artists are being paid) and a very viable way to release music that any other band would probably love to copy if they get the chance. And I really don't see why much less important bands couldn't do the same actually in the future. The only minor problem with that operation is that it should have been easier from the get go to delete the album easily if you have horrible taste and don't want it... but that's an Apple product we are talking about here so that's really not surprising it's totally counter-intuitive and a pain in the *** to use even to do such trivial things :reject:.

So there is no reason not to consider this revolutionary, because it's still a significant, different and very smart idea that other probably will copy... but the merit goes to the U2 management and actually Apple here not the band itself of course.

Does anyone know if the TIME edition with U2 on the cover is already available in European stores? If so, I might go and check it out tomorrow.

“It’s like everyone’s vomiting whatever their first impression is,” Adam Clayton

The most elegant badass in music industry

Been saying it for years. He's a force to be reckoned with.

He is the coolest. This album is making me admire him like hell.

Makes me awfully proud to be an Adam girl. He is simply the best. I keep falling even more in love with him. :adam:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah, don't fear ... U2 will definitely get their RS cover somewhere along the way with the album stuff.

I have a great idea for a U2 Guinness commercial... The band is drunk in a bar and making fun of Phil Collins. Sharon Osbourne...:beer:

Back
Top Bottom