Great news!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
But, given a savage run through the U2 overhaul machine

That's the only thing that could possibly make me think it belongs anywhere but track 2 or 3 of a single.

I am constantly fascinated by the difference of opinion on this song. It seems poeple either think "best thing to come out of U2 in 10 years" or write it off as nothing more than an unfinished, shabby Miracle Drug.!!

I can't wait to hear the completed version. I'm sure there will be a total explosion of new chit chat about its ins and outs. Its going to be interesting to see how it evolves, and fits into the album.

Personally I think its incredible. I just see so much power and potentional in this song. Its just so essentially U2....the diffinitve U2 experience. Can't imagine what it would be like hearing it live....:drool:

I can't wait to hear a better, re-worked version of this and also hear people complain about how it was ruined.

It's missing a piece or two to be a truly great song, I hope it delivers.

the tourist said:

Thank goodness. I didn't wanna see the copy'n'paste list of the great vocals of Bono in the past 3 years again....

And this made my laugh. I haven't had such a more vocally satisfying laugh since 2008-1-15 - The Picard Song.

the tourist said:

This happens to be Where The Streets Have No Name live.

Yes. agreed....But I would I would like to think that the greatest band on earth, together for 30 odd years can create more than one kind of "diffinitive experience".(yes I know that defeats the definition of the word....but you guys know what I mean) Mercy is way up there for me! Maybe not at the live Streets level just yet.....but its pretty god damn good!! And I can't wait for the album and live versions. I havent been able to download it, so I've just been listening to it on youtube for the past year or 2! COME ON NEW ALBUM!!!!!!:drool:

the tourist said:
Not if U2 is planning on doing something new. Mercy is a HTDAAB leftover. It deserves about as much as She's Gonna Blow Your House Down from the salome tapes.

It may be a leftover from Bomb but it fits there about as much as Fast cars did. (not at all, that is) It doesn't sound like anything else on that album. Just like GBHF didn't fit in with ATYCLB. I can't help but wonder what would be if they had hung on to Mercy/Fast cars/Stateless/GBHF for this next album...

I wouldn't exactly call it "best song of the new decade" (not with COBL - or BD for most people - around), but definitely album material.
The vocals alone deserve it - when I first heard it I thought this was AB era Bono.

Last edited:
This song has everything
-Beautiful lyrics (albeit not flowing 100%)
-Powerful/emotional vocal performance
-Some of larry's best drumming (I hope they don't change it)
-And finally some of Edge's most catchiest riffs yet. This song definately has the best Edge hooks i've heard in a long time (especially at the end)

I just hope U2 don't fuck it up, if they release it as a single they'll have to totally ruin it to make it more easily digestable, a song of Mercy's calibre has no place on the charts next to .....ummm Backstreet Boys or whatever (they still around? shit I'm out of touch)

^ I agree. I cannot even imagine hearing a song like Mercy on mainstream radio. Thus I'm not so sure I want it as a single. Would be great as an album closer, especially with the end as it is now.

AussieU2fanman said:
This song has everything
-Beautiful lyrics (albeit not flowing 100%)
-Powerful/emotional vocal performance
-Some of larry's best drumming (I hope they don't change it)
-And finally some of Edge's most catchiest riffs yet. This song definately has the best Edge hooks i've heard in a long time (especially at the end)

I just hope U2 don't fuck it up, if they release it as a single they'll have to totally ruin it to make it more easily digestable, a song of Mercy's calibre has no place on the charts next to .....ummm Backstreet Boys or whatever (they still around? shit I'm out of touch)

I couldn't agree with you more !!!! Very well said!!

(B.t.w. did you read my post "Now Mercy is going to be on the new album")?

I guess I'm not thrilled with it being on the album, but I'm curious to see how it'll change from the version we all know. I hope they do something with it - it definitely needs some tweaking to be "album ready," in my opinion (duh).

I don't hate the song; in fact, I rather like it. I'm just in the camp that doesn't understand how some people act like it's the second coming of Jesus.

I'll be glad it's on the new album ONLY if they rework it in a way that makes it sound different. A song like this would have fit in well with Atomic Bomb and I don't want that.
Also I'd like Bono to work on the vocal a bit. It's alright, but at times it sounds like he's been sucking on lemons.

U2girl said:
It may be a leftover from Bomb but it fits there about as much as Fast cars did. (not at all, that is)

Except that it did sound like Bomb. Maybe it's been too long since I heard Mercy (since I lost it when my computer crashed and didn't bother getting it back), but to me it sounded like it belonged on Bomb to me. In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of City of Blinding Lights in a way (the mixing is absolutely awful).

It needs a major overhaul if we're expecting anything different from the current 00's U2. And EVEN if it's given to us in the same manner as it's already presented, if DEFINITELY would need to be re-recorded and mixed by someone who understands subtlety.

the tourist said:

Except that it did sound like Bomb. Maybe it's been too long since I heard Mercy (since I lost it when my computer crashed and didn't bother getting it back), but to me it sounded like it belonged on Bomb to me. In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of City of Blinding Lights in a way (the mixing is absolutely awful).

:huh: It's probably been to long since you last heard it.

ok so i'm just a bit confused now...they are going to actually re record this song in the studio for the next album right? Or are they just tinkering with the version now...i hope not, can someone clarify please

I hope they don't turn it into a HTDAAB clone track like Miracle or OOTS. When I listen to Mercy I get a similar feeling to when I listen to Pride or Streets... it has a vulnerability and an emotion to it that all of HTDAAB was sorely lacking.

I think if they let that come out and just take it to another level with a great mix and some good decisions about song structure it could be the kind of hit that Beautiful Day was. A soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion - instead of U2 trying to do a soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion, ala COBL.

As far as fitting this song into an album of experimentation, like this album is supposed to be, I think this song contains something intangible that any U2 song from any direction or era contains. I think a good U2 song will always fit. Look at Stay on Zooropa. What if they said... "well it doesn't sound like Lemon or Zooropa, so let's scrap it from the tracklist..."? U2 on any album is U2... and you can always pick out a U2 song, regardless of new directions...

Last edited:
Needle_Chill said:

I think if they let that come out and just take it to another level with a great mix and some good decisions about song structure it could be the kind of hit that Beautiful Day was. A soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion - instead of U2 trying to do a soaring U2 rock anthem with emotion, ala COBL.

But wasn't that exactly what Beautful Day was built to be 'A U2 Pop song'. Don't get me wrong I love BD but it is no different to COBL in intent or craft imo.

Needle_Chill said:
I hope they don't turn it into a HTDAAB clone track like Miracle or OOTS. When I listen to Mercy I get a similar feeling to when I listen to Pride or Streets... it has a vulnerability and an emotion to it that all of HTDAAB was sorely lacking.

As far as fitting this song into an album of experimentation, like this album is supposed to be, I think this song contains something intangible that any U2 song from any direction or era contains. I think a good U2 song will always fit. Look at Stay on Zooropa. What if they said... "well it doesn't sound like Lemon or Zooropa, so let's scrap it from the tracklist..."? U2 on any album is U2... and you can always pick out a U2 song, regardless of new directions...

yes, I agree...dammit this thread is forcing me to go back and listen to this song on repeat..

Last edited:
I think is COBL is the epic U2 song of the '00s and their best one at that. Needle_Chill did you go to any Vertigo shows? COBL was one of the highlights of the tour. Much bigger than BD live.

U2 has always had simple song structures. I mean as complex as AB, Zooropa, and Pop sound. 90% of the songs on that album are pretty basic sound structures. Were not talking Dylan or Kid A here :wink:

Mercy once finished will sound great. The mix we have is defintely a work in progress.

Needle_Chill said:

I agree, it feels more in line with the older stuff, more genuine and alive, not grasping for a hit.

I'm pleased it will be on the album.

zoopop said:
Mercy once finished will sound great. The mix we have is defintely a work in progress.

Where do you get this? People have claimed this before and it makes no sense to me. The song may have less-than-perfect sound quality, but that's because it's a bootlegged copy. The song was removed from the tracklisting at the final stage with Fast Cars. if Fast Cars sounds finished than Mercy probably is too.

That doesn't mean they won't change it (read: fuck it up) before it appears on an album, but it sounds like it's done to me.

Chalk me up with the other people who think it's the best thing they've recorded this decade.

I really don't want ANYTHING from HTDAAB on the "new" U2 album. Otherwise, it will be yet another ATYCLB :no:

Back
Top Bottom