GOYB Video? (Pics? 01/27/2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When do you think the GOYB video will drop?

Hopefully, we won't have to wait until the album comes out to get the video. Perhaps around when the physical single is released?

as mentioned above ITV here in the UK have a "video exclusive" at 11:35pm on the 30th.

Here's an article that mentions the video.

Ireland leads the way with new U2 album

U2's new single 'Get On Your Boots' has shot straight to No.1 in the Irish airplay charts.

The single – the first from the band's hugely anticipated No Line On The Horizon album – has already been greeted with widespread critical acclaim, significantly raising expectations for what is destined to be one of the year's big records. Originally titled 'Sexy Boots' the track is a thoroughly contemporary, intense electro grunge exercise, with Adam Clayton's powerful bass to the fore, which mixes hip hop influences with shades of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and The Beatles.

"We came up with 'Sexy Boots', and everyone got very excited by the idea and we pursued it, but in the end we just thought it was a bit limiting, and so we took it in another direction. That's the way it often happens with U2," Edge told Hot Press. Edge also waxed lyrical about the video for the single, made by French director Alex Courtes, who was also responsible for the video for 'City Of Blinding Lights'. "It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women. We had our doubts when we saw a rough cut – but the finished video is brilliant. He's really nailed it."

Officially due for release as a digital download on February 15, the track was made available on iTunes on the same day as Dave Fanning gave it its worldwide premiere on the Colm and Jim Jim Show on 2fm.

"'Get On Your Boots' is a great opening salvo from what is a brilliant album," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes commented. "No Line On The Horizon is a huge record, full of big songs, powerful riffs and superb musicianship. It's more musically diverse that any U2 album since Rattle And Hum, mixing hard rock, psychedelia, pop, electronica, dance, folk, country, spiritual music and orchestral shadings in what is a fantastically heady brew. It will certainly challenge U2 fans, but my guess is that they'll ultimately be inspired. It's going to be a massive record. I can't wait to hear the songs live."

The single has also won the approval of radio in the UK, where it is currently at No.6 on the airplay charts. No Line On The Horizon is released on February 27 in Ireland and March 3 in the US.

Also from atu2.com

It looks like the "Get On Your Boots" music video will premiere in the U.K. on January 30 at 11:35 pm on ITV1. No word on premiere info for other countries, but we'll update this as needed.

ETA: Oops, saw this was just posted already.

"We came up with 'Sexy Boots', and everyone got very excited by the idea and we pursued it, but in the end we just thought it was a bit limiting, and so we took it in another direction. That's the way it often happens with U2," Edge told Hot Press. Edge also waxed lyrical about the video for the single, made by French director Alex Courtes, who was also responsible for the video for 'City Of Blinding Lights'. "It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women. We had our doubts when we saw a rough cut – but the finished video is brilliant. He's really nailed it."

:up: that's actualy very cool idea...

Speaking as a feminist, the idea that women can do a better job than men is really patronizing, and no different from the idea that men can do a better job than women.

Speaking as a feminist, the idea that women can do a better job than men is really patronizing, and no different from the idea that men can do a better job than women.

They are rock 'n roll stars. Don't expect genius comments. :wink: They look at women as less violent in the world (of course this could be debated) so it's their next conclusion. You don't see them giving up their votes to women so they aren't really serious. As long as the song is fun it's okay. I hope the video is tongue-in-cheek. We can use some humor nowadays.

yes, but can you imagine Bono in a video like this? :hyper:
I guess it will more "fun/sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek" than dead-serious.

Great idea! :up:

The women theme is also strong in the song, but it's not the only theme.

Doesn't sound like another performance video to me.

I think you missed the point...

You don't see them giving up their votes to women so they aren't really serious.

So now we know their voting records? Guys, give me a break...

I'm going to break into this random, tedious, semi-political discussion and say:

VIDEO!!!!!

:dance:

You give me a break. I was just pointing out that they are not serious. And yes they obviously vote as opposed to letting just women vote. Do I have to know who they vote for to know that THEY are men?

I misunderstood I thought you were saying they never voted for women... my bad.

Edge also waxed lyrical about the video for the single, made by French director Alex Courtes, who was also responsible for the video for 'City Of Blinding Lights'. "It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women. We had our doubts when we saw a rough cut – but the finished video is brilliant. He's really nailed it."
From Hotpress

IDK....I'm finding very few examples (if any) of great use of special effects in a U2 video.

Doesn't anyone shoot black and white videos in drag anymore?

geez. :wink:

I was referencing Vertigo there, which I wouldn't call a "good" video by any stretch of the imagination.

Edge also waxed lyrical about the video for the single, made by French director Alex Courtes, who was also responsible for the video for 'City Of Blinding Lights'. "It's based around the idea that men have fucked things up so badly, politically, economically and socially that it's really time we handed things over to women. We had our doubts when we saw a rough cut – but the finished video is brilliant. He's really nailed it."
From Hotpress

Really hope it will be an exciting and memorable video.

Could these be stills from the actual GOYB video?

3202065930_4d69595456_m.jpg

3202066566_a430d6ac77_m.jpg

3201324113_5e30f9f1ce_m.jpg

3229364887_aa527d6d7f_m.jpg

Bigger versions : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotdotann/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom