Got a reply from Dave Fanning today / Chris Moyles on BBC Radio 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hmm:

he doesn't sound overly impressed....

I think he came off quite optimistic. Out of all the reviews so far, I kind of respect his. His thoughts on really giving the album a listen before making a decision (i.e multiple listens, in the car, bath, etc) hits close to home with me. I personally only really begin to like a song that I otherwise really might not have given a chance after the first listen, when I hear it in the car while driving to work on the back-country roads and really not paying too much attention to it. It's usually those times that a song or two sneak into my sub-conscience and really introduce to me what it's all about.

It's U2, so either way you look at it, subjectively (such as myself - unfortunately) or objectively, I think it or any album really needs to be out there to get a fair shake. There will always be the one or two or three. . .songs that will reel you but I think it is, that once you get grounded, you really begin to appreciate a good album or collection of songs. A lot of bands you cannot really say that about - only the good ones and more than likely the ones who care enough about the music to mold that piece of clay into a work of art.

With that said (while struggling not to compose an essay on my art of listening to a CD) and along with everything we've heard and read so far, I am also quite optimistic that U2 have mastered this process yet again.

He sounds honest and cautious. I think he only comes across as less than excited because he's better at being an interviewer than an interviewee so he isnt full of all the soundbites most seasoned interviewees (e.g. Bono!) come out with. So it's quite a refreshing interview to read some Down to Earth comments. And maybe it's a good thing he says he's not sure if its the 3rd in the series - That's probably truer than any murmer of it being wildly experimental from Bono and his big oversized mouth.

I think everyone should listen for his or herself to NLOTH and after a month or so it will have shown it's true coulours. I listened to some records that blew me away the first couple of days but after a while went into a draw never to resurface again. Achtung Baby was something i couldn't get into the first month but when it got under my skin it never left. My favorite record of all time. You just have to give it some time.

U2.com | Official News

Some of the lyric writing seemed more personal than usual to me, and there’s lots of buried songs on there too, songs that will grow on you – like if you ask your average U2 fan to sing ‘A Man and A Woman’ or ‘Crumbs Under your Table’ from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb they might not be able to, but they were gems. The album has plenty of songs like that, songs to return to.

If AMAAW and CFYT were gems wouldn't most average fans be able to sing them :huh: For me I think he is just putting a lid on it for now and not getting carried away. (I hope so anyway)...and I so hope to god the songs are nothing like those two mentioned in the above quote.

If AMAAW and CFYT were gems wouldn't most average fans be able to sing them :huh: For me I think he is just putting a lid on it for now and not getting carried away. (I hope so anyway)...and I so hope to god the songs are nothing like those two mentioned in the above quote.

I think he only means that it's not an album of few big hits and fillers, but that there are also a few gems like UTEOTW, So Cruel, Acrobat, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Wire, Tommorow, Heartland, Exit...etc, etc.
Outside of the world of Interference fanatics people actualy like HTDAAB, and AMAAW and Crumbs are def among the gems of that album.
That's all.
He didn't say there's something on NLOTH sounding like those songs.

I think he only means that it's not an album of few big hits and fillers, but that there are also a few gems like UTEOTW, So Cruel, Acrobat, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Wire, Tommorow, Heartland, Exit...etc, etc.
Outside of the world of Interference fanatics people actualy like HTDAAB, and AMAAW and Crumbs are def among the gems of that album.
That's all.

A man and a woman is a pretty fucking good gem! :up:

That's all.

Well I don't consider AMAAW AND Crumbs to be gems. Both those songs put me to sleep. Anyway we have had a few album reviews at the moment and they have all been fairly different. You just have to listen and make judgment yourself :up:

Well I don't consider AMAAW AND Crumbs to be gems. Both those songs put me to sleep. Anyway we have had a few album reviews at the moment and they have all been fairly different. You just have to listen and make judgment yourself :up:

I agree with you on AMAAW...the acronym even sounds like snore: Amaaaaaaaaaaw.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wink:

But I do think Crumbs is a gem. It took me three months before it finally hit me. I understand what he is saying about the new album, and to be quite honest it actually excites me because I'd rather have an album that grows on you slowly as opposed to one that you love at first then it just fades away (HTDAAB)

I agree with you on AMAAW...the acronym even sounds like snore: Amaaaaaaaaaaw.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wink:

I understand what he is saying about the new album, and to be quite honest it actually excites me because I'd rather have an album that grows on you slowly as opposed to one that you love at first then it just fades away (HTDAAB)

Totally agree. Would love this album to slap you in the face like AB and Zooropa did when I first heard them.

U2.com | Official News

One other song that really stood out for you ?

Stand Up Comedy – the nearest thing they’ve ever done to Led Zeppelin. But I could change my mind, wait till I’ve heard it in the bath a few times. One - from Achtung Baby - never hit me for months.

so i'm really thinking/hoping that Stand Up Comedy is that first metal riff on the Daniel Lanois movie. that riff = :drool:

This is the least encouraging review I've seen so far.

i am encouraged by it though because many of the songs didn't hit him right away. that was the problem with HTDAAB. it's the only U2 album that i loved after the first listen. every other album has taken at least 3 listens.

:hmm:

he doesn't sound overly impressed....

Dave Fanning is normally very understated and doesn't get too excited about things like this, hopefully it isn't the third part of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. All the clips (Beach and two new ones of GOYB) suggest a change in direction, we will all know very soon.

third in the series... hope not... :hmm:

So funny on this forum what people perceive as the best U2 albums! :hug:

I actully think Bar Boy & War which started it for me way back then. The last two are the two I listen to the most out of their back catalogue. :cute:

I never listen to Pop & R&H, they didn't do it for me at all. I think the pedestal that JT is on is unwarrented. Some mighty fine tracks on them for sure, which I listen to away from the albums.

To take from one of their songs, "we are one but were not the same"! IE we are one fan base, but we all like different songs/albums :heart: That's why I love U2 every record they have done, whilst some hate them (me included), others love them :flirt:

I hope that makes sense? :lol:

I'm far more scared of U2 trying too hard to be "experimental" than of two or three songs sounding as if they could have been on one of their last two albums. In fact, I shudder at the thought of NOT one new song sounding at least a bit like it's from the last two albums, because U2 shouldn't stop being U2 for the pure sake of experimentation. I think there will be some classic, epic U2 hymns on that album and some stuff that will be more unexpected, surprising, whatever, I want both, but I surely don't want an album that is just experimental for the sake of it, I want an album that has heart and soul and the power to move and comfort me.

I'm far more scared of U2 trying too hard to be "experimental" than of two or three songs sounding as if they could have been on one of their last two albums. In fact, I shudder at the thought of NOT one new song sounding at least a bit like it's from the last two albums, because U2 shouldn't stop being U2 for the pure sake of experimentation. I think there will be some classic, epic U2 hymns on that album and some stuff that will be more unexpected, surprising, whatever, I want both, but I surely don't want an album that is just experimental for the sake of it, I want an album that has heart and soul and the power to move and comfort me.
Amen!

As someone said earlier, maybe Dave is trying to be more cautious with expressing too many comments upon his intial listen because he's aware that things can/will change as he gets more time to let it grow on him.

I appreciate that more than anyone that would hear the album on the first take and say it was the greatest thing ever. I think it takes a little bit of time to get over the initial euphoria of hearing something "new" before you start becoming true to the music and can look at it and get rid of your own personal biase/prejudice.

I "want" this album to be great, but that "want" can get in the way of the "reality" of what the album really is.

You're right.:D I'm been trying to figure out what to do. I might go to bed around 4PM so I can just get up at 2AM, listen, hopefully burn and then go to work around 3 or 4 AM. :lol:

You're right.:D I'm been trying to figure out what to do. I might go to bed around 4PM so I can just get up at 2AM, listen, hopefully burn and then go to work around 3 or 4 AM. :lol:

yeah. i'm in central standard time, so i just plan on getting a good night of sleep on Sunday, and i'm off on Monday for MLK Day, so i'll get up around 7am and just enjoy the day. :)

I've never understood why experimentation and 'great', 'u2 hymns' have to been in opposition to one another. Right up until 2000 those two things just went perfectly hand in hand. I've just listened to Zooropa all weekend. There are truly some 'huge' 'U2 hymns' on there - at the same time it challenges me. Experimentation used to be the DNA of U2 - why it now has been something to ridicule and to look at "in it self" I really don't get.

Back
Top Bottom