Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's going in the red hill mining town video vault, to be opened in 20 years.

When are U2 going to release the full version of this video for Get Out Of Your Own Way?

Probably never, unfortunately. Looks pretty good, especially the sections at night. They went for the art video instead, which I don't think is that great. (content aside)

Since it appears they are playing Get Out, I hope they nail it at the Grammy's. This song, while not perfect, is very good. The song is especially good when you play the single version without Kendrick's unnecessary sermon. That part, if included on the album, should have been either an interlude playing between the songs or all at the start of American Soul. I believe the song would be a little better without the "Get Out of Your Own Way" prechorus part at the beginning. They should have just started with "Love hurts." Does anyone have a version that omits this part as well as the Kendrick part?

Since it appears they are playing Get Out, I hope they nail it at the Grammy's. This song, while not perfect, is very good. The song is especially good when you play the single version without Kendrick's unnecessary sermon. That part, if included on the album, should have been either an interlude playing between the songs or all at the start of American Soul. I believe the song would be a little better without the "Get Out of Your Own Way" prechorus part at the beginning. They should have just started with "Love hurts." Does anyone have a version that omits this part as well as the Kendrick part?

Since all the leaked rehearsal footage is of AS I’m not sure why you think it’s Get Out?

The album vs has all the Kendrick part on AS

Since all the leaked rehearsal footage is of AS I’m not sure why you think it’s Get Out?

The album vs has all the Kendrick part on AS

Thanks, I think. This is a huge downer as now they are playing/promoting the album's worst song to a worldwide audience of hundreds of millions. They had better perform this much better than they did on SNL! Way to promote the new album, guys! For such a smart and talented group of guys, they sure can be dumb in the promotions area, or is it "done."

I did not see or hear the leaked footage, so thank you for letting me know. My CD has most of Kendrick's sermon on Get Out, with just the part starting with "Blessed are the bullies" on the track for American Soul.

It's going in the red hill mining town video vault, to be opened in 20 years.

X14043-05.jpg

My CD has most of Kendrick's sermon on Get Out, with just the part starting with "Blessed are the bullies" on the track for American Soul.

Weird, I know the Spotify singles were like that, but my full album download is sequenced differently. It’s even more odd that U2 treated it that way live.

I really want to see that Mexico video. I don't really acknowledge that cartoon music video. It's fine, but I'd rather see a real video of the band. Plus, I find the festival Mexican Halloween vibe to be a very unique backdrop to put the band against.

Still a poor man's copy of Beautiful Day but they are allowed to rip off their own songs. Just wish there was more lift off somewhere in the song. Ok but certainly not great.

Is this song a single or not? I'm very confused about if it's been "released" as a "single" yet. No chart positions in the UK, nothing

Still a poor man's copy of Beautiful Day but they are allowed to rip off their own songs. Just wish there was more lift off somewhere in the song. Ok but certainly not great.

I agree with you.

Definitely clear they used the Beautiful day formula here. Which is fine- as you say, they're allowed to use their own songs for inspiration. I'll never understand why critics and fans alike expect U2 to have to be Earth shattering and completely different than anything they'd ever released before to be good.

I was thinking of Get out of your own way and what it lacked compared to Beautiful day and City of blinding lights. Aside from the obvious that BD kicked off this U2 3.0 era if you will, there's the differences in sound and feel. BD says "hey, remember those anthems you fell in love with. Here, we're back to that." The song contains some 2000 era bells and whistles as we all know. However, in addition to that, it has a section that truly and authentically recalls 1980s U2. The "See the world......." bridge and the riff in the outro truly capture the JT era, particularly In God's Country. Also, the "what you don't have you don't need it now" vocals immediately recall the high energy, belting War era Bono. Similarly, COBL actually builds and soars like an 80's anthem then at the bridge- Bono shouting "time, time, tiiimmeeeeee......." as Edge winds up that riff- you're getting a dose of early 80s U2 energy again.

Red Flag Day has that early 80s energy. Little Things obviously has that 80s (and 90s with the personal themes) intensity and heartbreak that connects U2 to so many people. The building to a climax, soaring guitars with passionate vocals.

That's really what Get out of your own way lacks. It's very clearly trying to be the next big U2 hit and just as clearly using the BD template. However, it lacks the true callbacks to the U2 energy and as a result, without having much else ground breaking going on, falls short. Even if it had that energy- it would still had to have been DAMN good for the public to eat it up like they did COBL and BD. A good deal better than I think it is.

I go back and forth a lot on the song- I've never hated it. For now, I quite like it. Nice enough song, nice enough message and it fits with the theme of SOE. It's not the clunker some make it out to be.

In my humble opinion, for singles, here are the songs that could do it:

Red flag day- Has enough of the U2 energy, yet very modern sounding, political and personal themes. I think fans and public alike would enjoy it. Very different from what the average person is expecting from U2.

Summer of love- Relevant themes. Excellent song musically and vocally.

Showman- Catchy as hell, nice angle to approach the subjects it tackles from and U2 has never sounded like this.

Love is bigger- Epic U2 anthem. Just like with little things- no new ground, but they get what they're good at right here.

These songs are either different enough or actually good enough to get a lot of attention.

Last edited:
Eh. I'm on live and let live terms with this one. I don't hate it. I don't love it. 6.17 out of 10.

I'll sometimes have to cringe to get past the "Ah-ah-ah-ah-a-aaaahhhh" -- it feels so weightless and un-U2 to me -- but darned if this song doesn't otherwise lodge itself in your brain and stay there. Which ... I guess was the plan :hmm:

I have a confession to make. I used to think that GOOYOW doesn't sound that much like Beautiful Day, but when they played it in Tulsa, my first thought was “Why are they playing Beautiful Day again?” :|

My favorite version of the song is the Womankind mix. This version eliminates the opening ahahaahs, Kendrick's sermon, and uses the "if I could sing it to you" part three times and closes the song with it. This version is also just 3 minutes long. My custom playlist for Songs of Experience eliminates the album version and uses the Womankind mix.

I think that people who already like this song but had some issues with it would enjoy this version more than the original. And people who do not care for this song would at least enjoy the song more than they previously did.

Last edited:
My favorite version of the song is the Womankind mix. This version eliminates the opening ahahaahs, Kendrick's sermon, and uses the "if I could sing it to you" part three times and closes the song with it. This version is also just 3 minutes long. My custom playlist for Songs of Experience eliminates the album version and uses the Womankind mix.

I think that people who already like this song but had some issues with it would enjoy this version more than the original. And people who do not care for this song would at least enjoy the song more than they previously did.

While the remixes associated with this album have, save for a couple, been atrocious...the “womankind” mix is one of the better ones.

I would say the Beck LIBTAIIW, Beck LOH and Best Thing Kygo are some of the better (not great) remixes.

Then there are the other GOOYOW , Blackout and LIBTAIIW mixes that are fucking awful/embarrassing.

There is a GOOYOW mix that is literally Bono saying “wow” the whole time (save for 1 chorus inclusion)....it’s so bad!

I'm in the minority that thinks the song is great as is, and I still can't stop blasting it.

Yeah, the remixes for this album range from uninteresting to awful for the most part. However, the Womankind mix of Get Out is superior to the album version in my opinion. Bono keeps trying to say this is a "pop song" but ruined the pop appeal of it with their album mix. The Womankind mix brings out the pop in this song and elevates to an excellent track.

Back
Top Bottom