Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still don’t understand why they only do the big soaring chorus twice. It needs another chorus at the end.

This has been said a bunch of times and I agree.

I think the last chorus - coming out of the solo (which should be twice as long - the second half a tad more adventurous than the first) could work with both chorus parts being sung at the same time. ie Edge singing either the Get Out.. bit, and Bono the 'I could sing it to you..' bit over the top. Or vice versa... Kinda like The Fly

so, it's been what, a week and change?

this song has grown on me the most. i don't care enough to try to rank the new songs yet, but I find myself coming back to this one more than the others.

The live clip of Edge playing sounded good just a shame the studio song is overproduced rubbish.

I think the best thing about the live version is the weakest thing about the studio version: in this live version, the song really takes off with the "all night" chorus. Larry's snare hit comes in and then the Edge's guitar comes in LOUD, Beautiful Day-style. It really elevates the song. The mix on the recorded version sounds very flat in comparison - they should have played more with the dynamics.

I'd still give this song a 6/10 and for me it's my least favourite of the SOE songs they've released so far.

The Blackout is the standout at the moment.

I wish the song transitioned from iterations of the GOOYOW line and moaning in the first half to repetitions of the big chorus throughout the latter half. I could live with the lyrics if that were the structure. Maybe an ad-libbed "your fight" line over top of the driving chorus drums and melody as outro. There's a big song in there that would be a worthy torch bearer for BD, but instead it's a tease. Very disappointing and I can come around to enjoying it only so much because of it. It'll slide down from an above average 6 to forgettable 5 for me in time.

Last edited:
I think the best thing about the live version is the weakest thing about the studio version: in this live version, the song really takes off with the "all night" chorus. Larry's snare hit comes in and then the Edge's guitar comes in LOUD, Beautiful Day-style. It really elevates the song. The mix on the recorded version sounds very flat in comparison - they should have played more with the dynamics.

Agreed. More dynamic between the prechorus and chorus would benefit the studio version. I was pleasantly surprised with the live version where there was that dynamic built up into the chorus and it was a definite improvement. I also like how bono only sang "your fight" once at the end of the chorus...gives a little breathing room between the chorus and going back to the verses.

I wish the song transitioned from iterations of the GOOYOW line and moaning in the first half to repetitions of the big chorus throughout the latter half. I could live with the lyrics if that were the structure. Maybe an ad-libbed "your fight" line over top of the driving chorus drums and melody as outro. There's a big song in there that would be a worthy torch bearer for BD, but instead it's a tease. Very disappointing and I can come around to enjoying it only so much because of it. It'll slide down from an above average 6 to forgettable 5 for me in time.

Agreed. I think it's structuring, production, and some lyrics tweaks away from being the hit they wanted, or at least about as good as u2 2017 could do on the charts. Instead, it's just OK.

Don't understand why a band that's written countless songs with standard structures didn't lock this immediately into something like:

verse/your own way chorus/verse/your own way chorus/all night all night!/solo/your own way triumphant chorus

Actually now that I think about it, the parts (at least in my limited imagination), don't immediately fit into the standard BD-style form. Hm. Any other songwriter types have ideas for how they would've done it?

Just feels like a major structure whiff for me. Swing and a miss.

I'm having a revelation. Listen to the Blackout live and GOOYOW live. They're both f*** storming!

We place a lot of stock in the LPs – and fair enough – but live is the truest version of what the band does – and live these songs are kicking ass! 10/10 IMO.

To hell with whether the studio versions live up to it; production has become a bureaucratic nightmare for U2 ever since they became too big to fail, and arguably ever since they fell out with Eno. The raw truth is these songs are just dandy.

*with the exception of American Soul :D

so, it's been what, a week and change?

this song has grown on me the most. i don't care enough to try to rank the new songs yet, but I find myself coming back to this one more than the others.

Definitely has grown on me the most.

I didn't hate it when I first heard it but I was far from impressed. The lyrics seemed cheesy and disjointed. The music seemed uninspired and derived from plenty of other post 2000 U2 songs (BD & Always being the best examples).

I can't explain entirely what changed, but it's clicked with me. The lyrics now seem genuine and inspired, if not the absolute greatest they've ever written. I'm really starting to like the chorus with the backing "oohs" and the live performance did wonders for it in my mind.

Speaking for myself, anytime I see these self help, kind of broad personal and political hybrid lyrics from Bono, I tend to roll my eyes and discount them. I look at it scientifically and with objectivity. I think after my initial tepid impression, I took a step back, put the song on the shelf for a little while and came back to it with new ears. I saw the lyrics in a new light- a simple and maybe obvious light to others, but new to me. I thought "you know, given the themes of this album and what we've heard from multiple interviews, this fits with what Bono is genuinely feeling now in his life."

I'd rather have that than an attempt at being abstract that he's not really feeling. I'd say Unknown Caller, but I'm sure a lot of us could pick our own NLOTH track for an example of this. See also writing in the third person- which, save for MOS, in my mind, came off very awkward and forced even in good songs like Breathe.

Plus, there's some truly resonant lines in this song. For our current times and for all time.

The one I keep coming back to it "Love has got to fight for its existence."

You see that more and more as you age. Political & social progress that advances equality and respect is not a given. Even more so, personal relationships take work and commitment to sustain. Of course we all know this, but I think what sets it apart is the "fight" imagery Bono uses. Really drives home that this life takes courage and the willingness to face adversity and stand up for what you believe in. You may have to stand up to the bully- who could be at work or in political office. You are going to have to face nerves and your own fear of rejection "get out of your own way" if you're going to try and initiate a relationship with someone.

A fight, a struggle for love. It's the kind of hard as a rock, gritty love U2 have been writing about for years.

Last edited:

I didn't hate it when I first heard it but I was far from impressed. The lyrics seemed cheesy and disjointed. The music seemed uninspired and derived from plenty of other post 2000 U2 songs (BD & Always being the best examples).

I can't explain entirely what changed, but it's clicked with me. The lyrics now seem genuine and inspired, if not the absolute greatest they've ever written. I'm really starting to like the chorus with the backing "oohs" and the live performance did wonders for it in my mind.

Speaking for myself, anytime I see these self help, kind of broad personal and political hybrid lyrics from Bono, I tend to roll my eyes and discount them. I look at it scientifically and with objectivity. I think after my initial tepid impression, I took a step back, put the song on the shelf for a little while and came back to it with new ears. I saw the lyrics in a new light- a simple and maybe obvious light to others, but new to me. I thought "you know, given the themes of this album and what we've heard from multiple interviews, this fits with what Bono is genuinely feeling now in his life."

I'd rather have that than an attempt at being abstract that he's not really feeling. I'd say Unknown Caller, but I'm sure a lot of us could pick our own NLOTH track for an example of this. See also writing in the third person- which, save for MOS, in my mind, came off very awkward and forced even in good songs like Breathe.

Plus, there's some truly resonant lines in this song. For our current times and for all time.

You see that more and more as you age. Political & social progress that advances equality and respect is not a given. Even more so, personal relationships take work and commitment to sustain. Of course we all know this, but I think what sets it apart is the "fight" imagery Bono uses. Really drives home that this life takes courage and the willingness to face adversity and stand up for what you believe in. You may have to stand up to the bully- who could be at work or in political office. You are going to have to face nerves and your own fear of rejection "get out of your own way" if you're going to try and initiate a relationship with someone.

A fight, a struggle for love. It's the kind of hard as a rock, gritty love U2 have been writing about for years.

A+ post. I have also grown to like the song a lot and your reasons for why it has for you make a great deal of sense to me.

Very very well written!

I still think this is one of the weaker tracks they've released from SOE so far - what sort of turns me off is the alright, alright and your fight, your fight bit. It sounds a bit cheesy. However it's not a bad song by any means but not one of their best. Heard it live twice at Trafalgar Sq but I thought YTBTAM sounded a lot better live.

I still think this is one of the weaker tracks they've released from SOE so far - what sort of turns me off is the alright, alright and your fight, your fight bit. It sounds a bit cheesy. However it's not a bad song by any means but not one of their best. Heard it live twice at Trafalgar Sq but I thought YTBTAM sounded a lot better live.

I think both this and Best Thing sound shocking live. Esp Edges Harmony on best thing

https://youtu.be/0-BAMjNAEq8

Sounds way worse than the studio version imo.

GOOYOW wasnt great live either. The SOI stuff was better live for the most part. See what happens on tour.

Last edited:
I think both this and Best Thing sound shocking live. Esp Edges Harmony on best thing

https://youtu.be/0-BAMjNAEq8

Sounds way worse than the studio version imo.

GOOYOW wasnt great live either. The SOI stuff was better live for the most part. See what happens on tour.
The Innocence tracks also sounded awful live during the promo portion of the tour... hence why they went on the boring acoustic greatest hits tour instead of actually playing the songs

The Innocence tracks also sounded awful live during the promo portion of the tour... hence why they went on the boring acoustic greatest hits tour instead of actually playing the songs

I liked the Jools Holland versions. I know many dont. I thought they were way better.

But I know its early days.

Just played this on virgin radio and the dj said that it sounds like it could have been on U2's first album :) really?? Has this woman ever listened to boy??

I have a feeling that GOOYOW is going to be a grower in its live incarnation just like the album version.

Even with the admittedly cheesy, poppy parts of the song, I have really come to love it. There is a lot more going on in the song than I originally thought, and I am glad that I gave it a chance instead of dismissing it.

Back
Top Bottom