Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it. Reminds me very much of Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams” (which I confess to liking too)

Soooooo... yeah, this one is growing on me fast. I played it loud in the car driving late last night, and it just has that U2-ey "something" that TBT doesn't necessarily have. Which isn't always a bad thing. I like the TBT because it is a different sound for the band with its straight pop feel.
But this song does flow better, and there is quite the uplift with the backing Ooooooohhh's in the chorus. Lots going on in the background, with Bono's doubled/harmony vocals.
It still sits with me as a really good ATYCLB song, which isn't my fave U2 record, but it definitely is a solid entry on SOE.

So for me, that gives me 1 great song (Blackout), 1 really good song (Get Out), 2 good songs (TBT and Am Soul) and hopefully another great song with Little Things studio version.

Still most looking forward to hearing Summer of Love, Lights of Home, Love is All We Have Left, and Landlady. Those four intrigue me the most from the descriptions we've gotten.

Thanks, but I’m ok with it- no worries. Songs have different meaning to different people- and that’s the beauty of it. Someone else hating it won’t take away from my loving it.
I can’t stand Cedars of Lebanon, but that song could be a savior to someone else. It’s all good.

I love that song so that was the perfect example!

:applaud:

i was a teenager, and music never quite hits you the way it does when you're 16 or 17

Maybe not you.

Don't extrapolate to the rest of us.

I'm glad we're all starting to appreciate NLOTH more.

Are we? I think less of it as time goes on. A few good songs surrounded by the dross of a compromised vision.

So is this the song that was a letter to his sons?

Let's hope not. If that was my dad's letter to me I'd tell him that's why I don't care about him as much my mother and that he should put a bit more thought into it next time.

Yeah this one is growing fast on me.

At first I was a little :| but after a few listens in the car I'm in love with the pre chorus. That part will explode live.

All the songs so far have been solid. Really reminds me of ATYCLB so far. I think there going for the same kind of promotion on that album. We knew of BD, Stuck, Elevation, NY before the album was released (they were playing them during their promotion)

Just an update here. For Get Out -
I know the annoyance of having the Kendrick ending just stopping cold. So I created an alternate ending mix.

Also created an ending without the Kendrick part at all, cause i know some people here didn't like it that much.
I for one think the entire Kendrick part should be on the front end of Am Soul, but whatever, i still don't mind it at the end of Get Out.

Hope some people find it useful.

Link here

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/0ureiBf22t

The first verse seems to be a letter to his daughters, specifically helping them deal with heartbreak.

Yet the second verse seems like another letter to America. Which is annoying.

To be fair unlike the Vertigo/05 phase, tour aside, all five AB singles were not promoted beyond their music videos/radio play and such and such and considering four of the five were released after the album was released and also while the band was heavily invested in touring and not doing loads of TV spots and personal appearances, Top 15 is very decent. I never suggested they were comparable to the era prior and what was to come where U2 became more invested in SNL, web streams, Letterman, Late Show set ups etal as promotion, but you gave the impression they'd done poorly so I countered.

And the whole 1990-1998 era from AB to The Best Of, prior to ATYCLB = 10 Top 10 UK singles out of 15 released in an era where unlike 2000 onwards they did not do regular TV spots and showcases etc.

In short, aye, no bad...

Fair enough. I was just throwing it out there. I was not around during the time of AB, well I was, but just a kid, so I didn't know about how much promotion the singles got etc. Cheers for the info.

The first verse seems to be a letter to his daughters, specifically helping them deal with heartbreak.

Yet the second verse seems like another letter to America. Which is annoying.

Bono can say these are letters to whoever he wants obviously, but four of the five songs we’ve heard sure sound like letters to America to me. All with a message of you screwed up electing Trump. Blackout does it most effectively.

Best Thing would be the exception. Of course, they’ve tried to make it political as well with the video.

Bono can say these are letters to whoever he wants obviously, but four of the five songs we’ve heard sure sound like letters to America to me. All with a message of you screwed up electing Trump. Blackout does it most effectively.

Best Thing would be the exception. Of course, they’ve tried to make it political as well with the video.

Little Things? Is that the 4th? Sorry don’t hear it.

4?

I can see two and a video that repurposes a song about Ali.

And Blackout is questionable, as it sorta had a double meaning to it.

Little Things? Is that the 4th? Sorry don’t hear it.

Little Things can certainly be interpreted in many different ways, which is U2 at its best. But, I’ve always thought much of the song could be about Trump, in particular these sections:

The night gave you a song
A light had been turned on
You walked out in the world
Like you belong there

As easy as a breeze
Each heart was yours to please
Is it only me who sees
There's something wrong there

It's the little things that give you away
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth in the way
It's the little things that tease and betray

The Big Mouth from The Blackout, where he’s clearly talking about Trump, is referenced again here.

With that said, this entire song could also be about Bono himself.

Little Things can certainly be interpreted in many different ways, which is U2 at its best. But, I’ve always thought much of the song could be about Trump, in particular these sections:

Like you belong there

As easy as a breeze
Is it only me who sees

The words you cannot say

The Big Mouth from The Blackout, where he’s clearly talking about Trump, is referenced again here.

Yeah, that it’s a pretty big stretch. I think the big mouth he’s talking about in TBT is who he’s referencing here.

I doubt Bono is going to be talking about Trump as having the night giving him a song or being easy as the breeze.

Yeah, that it’s a pretty big stretch. I think the big mouth he’s talking about in TBT is who he’s referencing here.

I doubt Bono is going to be talking about Trump as having the night giving him a song or being easy as the breeze.
No. Bono is the only person in the world who's noticed that something is off about Trump and is now singing about it.

I believe Little Things is one of those Bono talking to himself songs.

Just an update here. For Get Out -
I know the annoyance of having the Kendrick ending just stopping cold. So I created an alternate ending mix.

Also created an ending without the Kendrick part at all, cause i know some people here didn't like it that much.
I for one think the entire Kendrick part should be on the front end of Am Soul, but whatever, i still don't mind it at the end of Get Out.

Hope some people find it useful.

Link here

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/0ureiBf22t

Thanks so much for all these mixes!

Every song he's singing to his mother, himself, his wife, his kids and every album or song he makes it seem like it's the first time ever and that's why I love Bono.

I'm really looking forward to Little Things. The Kimmel version is very powerful. Great build up.

Every song he's singing to his mother, himself, his wife, his kids and every album or song he makes it seem like it's the first time ever and that's why I love Bono.

Please don’t forget about Jack, Zack, Fred and Ned. They are important to Bono, too!

Maybe not you.

Don't extrapolate to the rest of us.

Are we? I think less of it as time goes on. A few good songs surrounded by the dross of a compromised vision.

Let's hope not. If that was my dad's letter to me I'd tell him that's why I don't care about him as much my mother and that he should put a bit more thought into it next time.
:lol: I like you, bub.

Like you belong there

As easy as a breeze
Is it only me who sees

The words you cannot say

I know it's not fashionable in recent years to laud U2's new material with praise, but dear god, this is an absolutely fantastic song and I adore those lyrics. Interesting interpretation as well but I definitely think it refers to himself. As ever with Bono - his best lyrics are the lyrics clothed in self doubt and honesty.

'Is it only me who sees there's something wrong there'. So simple yet it hits home so hard.

Really starting to dig Get Out...a lot. Same thing happened with the Best Thing for me. Yes, Get Out is pop but high quality and well executed pop. This might be an album that sort of sneaks its way to into your heart and you become helpless to its charms. My four year old was bobbing his head to it and singing some of the words. I got choked up seeing that. I guess that’s what Bono means when he says defiant joy.

Back
Top Bottom