Get On Your Boots tanking on itunes?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so tired of people who don't like the song explaining how big of a fan they are. We don't care, we are all big fans. Like the song or don't like, stop trying to convince others by reasoning that you have the ability to know best.

My most sincere and humble apologies.

the U2 name didn't save POP, their ninth album. no matter what worldwide sales were, this album is generally regarded as a commercial flop for U2, considering the cost of promotion and touring. they admitted to barely breaking even, and that album's failure was the single most important factor in their decision to strip down their sound for the new millenium.

"barely breaking even" was with ZooTV, with PopMart they made 100mln just for themselves...

as for "generally regarded as a commercial flop". Here's a copy of a post from POTDB forum:

* Boy (1980,~3.8 million copies)
* October (1981, ~3.7 million)
* War (1983, ~9.5 million)
* The Unforgettable Fire (1984, ~8 million)
* Rattle and Hum (double album, 1988,~14.5 million)
* Zooropa (1993, ~7.5 million)
* Pop (mars 1997, ~7 million)
* All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000, ~12 million)
* How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004, ~10 million)
* Under a Blood Red Sky (concert, 1983,~9 million)
* Wide Awake in America (mini-album, 1985, ~ 2.5 million)
* The Best of 1990-2000, 2002 (compilation, ~6.5 million)
* U218 Singles (compilation, novembre 2006, ~4.5 million)

without the huuuuge numbers of JT, AB and Best Of 80-90, explain to me how is POP a flop compared to the rest of the albums

I don't really think I did but If I offended any gay people on this forum I apologize. That was certainly not my intention.

I believe that it was not your intention, but you may have offended people that are not gay - like me. Non-israeli people may feel offended too with anti-Semitic comments and they may not be jewish or to live in Israel.
It's not a question of offend gay people, it's a question of being an a**hole with comments like that.

When people talk about the Pop-flop, they tend to forget that it only applies to the US market.

Pop - 7M minus 1,5M (US) = 5,5M (ROW)
HTDAAB 10M minus 3,5M? (US) = 6,5M (ROW)

5,5 vs 6,5 is that a failure?
We know that Pop never got to the 12M mark Universal projected but Pop only sold less that it should be, mainly because of poor sales in NA.

People are forgetting too that US rules changed a LOT since Pop and almost 5 years are gone since HTDAAB. And 5 years means a lot in market comparisions.

Madonna's Confessions On A Dancefloor sold 10M copies like HTDAAB. It's a good mark for an artist like her in the 2005 "landscape". Yeah, "Hung Up" and "Sorry" went straight to #1 - "Hung Up" was #1 in 41 countries... but in the US? "Hung Up" peaked #7 and "Sorry" peaked #58. ("Vertigo" and "Sometimes" #1 in the UK and #31/#97 in the US... anyone???)
Hard Candy produced Madonna's first Top 5 hit in the US since "Don't Tell Me" (2000), "4 Minutes", which peaked #3 an stayed in the Top 40 for several weeks in row. But then "Give It 2 Me" only peaked #57. Hard Candy = 3,5M copies (3rd best selling in 2008). Is this a faillure when the best selling album in 2008 only got 5M copies, even bringing the first #1 hit for the band?

I believe that it was not your intention, but you may have offended people that are not gay - like me. Non-israeli people may feel offended too with anti-Semitic comments and they may not be jewish or to live in Israel.
It's not a question of offend gay people, it's a question of being an a**hole with comments like that.

Listen buba, go play with yourself. I wasn't talking to you at all so keep your sanctimonious bull to yourself (oh, oh, I am not gay but I am still soooo offended). Mind your own business and for your information I rather be an asshole then a little hypocrite like you. Anti-semitic comments. Are you insane or just stupid.

Why does it bother people if GOYB is tanking? I mean if you enjoy the song and have purchased it what does it matter? Is the song only relevant if it's #1 on the charts? As long as you enjoy it who the hell cares.

Guys and gals, I too do not care if it is # 37 or #1 as long as I love the song. The only reason why I want my favorite band of all time to do extremely well on the charts right now is because they are planning a massive, stadium-only tour with a giant production recalling the days of Zoo TV and Popmart and I was just worried, for U2's sake, that they would have to relive the Pop/Popmart "fiasco" which our boys have obsessed over ever since (eg., should have, could have done this or that, re-record the album, blah blah blah). I for one loved the Discotheque single/Pop album/Popmart tour like I currently love Get On Your Boots inspite of all the beating by the press and my fellow "fans" on both interference and @u2.com.

Now, I also know that Perez Hilton is tabloid trash, but I just happened to stumble upon the headline while googling for 'Get On Your Boots' news and I thought I would share my concerns. Since I started this thread, give me a chance to now end it.

Listen buba, go play with yourself. I wasn't talking to you at all so keep your sanctimonious bull to yourself (oh, oh, I am not gay but I am still soooo offended). Mind your own business and for your information I rather be an asshole then a little hypocrite like you. Anti-semitic comments. Are you insane or just stupid.

«You're sorry if you offended...» MY ASS!!! You're a real asshole (at least you admit it, at least you're not ashamed of that). Doesn't this deserve banning? Come on mods, it's not a question of messing with users. It's a question of disrespect for communities and people in general - Human Rights Declaration and some Constitutions (like Portuguese) could explain that better to you.

You don't need to be gay or to have a gay brother/sister to feel offended about homophobia. You don't need to be jew or to live in Israel to feel offended with anti-Semitism. You don't need to be black to feel offended with racist white-power comments. Do you get it or you're such a blind sheep that you can't get that?

I've read that +/- 80% of people in the Netherlands agrees with marriage with same-sex people. Guess you're in minority in your own country... bubba.

Plus, this is a forum. So, even if you're replying to someone in subjects like these, you're talking to me and to everyone else.

Sorry for this guys, I'll try to explain your points to him in his language..

Hey gozer,
Ik zie dat je nogal wat problemen hebt met de mensen hier. Ik weet dat het bij ons vrij gewoon is dat dingen nichterig of gay zijn, maar vooral bij de amerikanen is dat nogal een gevoelig punt. Juist omdat ze zelf zo homofoob zijn gaan ze omgekeerd discrimineren, zoals bij ons dat met de moslims zo is.
Het beste hier werkt om ze te negeren, het is de moeite niet, en de site is van een amerikaan, dus ik zou het niet proberen.

A couple of things:

1. No one gives two fucks if YOU think the song is good or bad. Replies like "Boots is bad" are pointless.

2. This is partially U2's fault for splitting Boots' iTunes release.

3. This is partially U2's fault for waiting to release the video.

4. This is partially U2's fault for not releasing the CD version until mid-February.

Maybe things will start to work when the clip gets released...

Btw, why the f**k this clip wasn't released yet??? Is it like Vertigo with a lot of CGI perhaps?? :hmm:

For the love of God, PLEASE no.

Man, I'm getting tired of all this whining. Can't we just close the whole album forum und re-open it when the album is released?

:yes:

In all of my years at this forum, this could be the most pathetic I've seen WTAHAN. Even basing your opinion of an album on song titles is harmless stupidity, but 75% of this section has been nothing but trolling for nearly a week now.

I saw that you apologized for your comments but then followed it up by continuing to personal attack others. Please refrain from making these types of comments in the future. It will not be tolerated. Also this is NOT the thread for this!

We need to stick to the topic.

The song's dropped again nearly worldwide today maybe it'll pick up when the band release a video and actually start promoting the song (which there's been very little of), I'd say we give it a couple of weeks before saying it's a flop

The song's dropped again nearly worldwide today maybe it'll pick up when the band release a video and actually start promoting the song (which there's been very little of), I'd say we give it a couple of weeks before saying it's a flop

Has the band itself even discussed the song at length? Bono mentioned it in the Brian Williams interview, but otherwise, it seems like all they've talked about is Breathe, Moment Of Surrender, and will.i.am.

Has the band itself even discussed the song at length? Bono mentioned it in the Brian Williams interview, but otherwise, it seems like all they've talked about is Breathe, Moment Of Surrender, and will.i.am.

To me it seems more like the label wanted it out with the radio release and maybe U2 didn't. I'd say the song will shoot up once the band get to promoting the album and single

Hey gozer,
Ik zie dat je nogal wat problemen hebt met de mensen hier. Ik weet dat het bij ons vrij gewoon is dat dingen nichterig of gay zijn, maar vooral bij de amerikanen is dat nogal een gevoelig punt. Juist omdat ze zelf zo homofoob zijn gaan ze omgekeerd discrimineren, zoals bij ons dat met de moslims zo is.
Het beste hier werkt om ze te negeren, het is de moeite niet, en de site is van een amerikaan, dus ik zou het niet proberen.

Ja, ik had het niet beter kunnen zeggen. Wat een ongelofelijke hypocriete eikels heb je op deze site. Vooral dat Aygo lulletje is niet te geloven. Maar goed, laat inderdaad maar zitten. Die gasten hebben een plaat voor hun kop.

Yo portugese, you are hilarious with your Human Rights Declaration. But I will leave it at that. Galeongirl said it better then I ever could but she is the smart one.

i like the song. everyone sounds amazed by the album. everyone.

but i do smell a broad U2 backlash like in 1988 and 1997.

hopefully a series of rave record reviews will nip it in the bud.

I want the video to involve U2 going to a Coldplay concert to throw sexy boots at Chris Martin.

At the end of the video, Coldplay goes to a Killers concert and does the same.

It could turn into a reality show. :hmm:

A couple of things:

1. No one gives two fucks if YOU think the song is good or bad. Replies like "Boots is bad" are pointless.

2. This is partially U2's fault for splitting Boots' iTunes release.

3. This is partially U2's fault for waiting to release the video.

4. This is partially U2's fault for not releasing the CD version until mid-February.

I agree with #1.

I think #2 is more the result of iTunes than U2. iTunes (or U2) offered the song as part of the deal if one pre-ordered the album. So there appeared to be downloads attributed to the album (probably the higher ranking number all week) and downloads just for the song. iTunes split them, but hopefully they will all count together at the end.

Video should come out now, but then, MTV and other stations don't play videos. :shrug: The days of a video making a song may be over as these stations seemed more focused on shows other than music videos.

Regarding point 4, CD sales don't count nearly as much any more. They are virtually non-existent in the U.S. In fact, U2 hasn't released a CD single in the U.S. since "Pop". If you see a CD single, it's an import. As for other countries, they still have CD singles and they still sell, but it appears downloads are more and more the way to go.

I would add point 5 to your list - and something mentioned earlier in this thread. Namely, the song is FREE on U2.com. Why pay for it, when one can get it for FREE? U2 gave this song away - thank you! I don't think Kelly Clarkson gave her song away. Radiohead gave their entire album away. Some fans went on to buy it, others didn't. But don't expect Radiohead to dominate iTunes when one could get the album for free! With a free song, little promotion, and no video, it's not a big wonder why the song isn't soaring.

However, would anyone want U2 to do a series of TV ads or TV spots to push the song? I recall tons of complaints when U2 finally did SNL back in 2000. I recall people hating U2 for being on the Super Bowl and doing iPod commercials. It's always been lose-lose for U2. Do well, people hate it. Do poorly, people hate it. Charts are fun to watch, but if the music is good, I'd prefer that.

If Apple was debuting a new product that U2 was excited about, they probably would do another collaboration. I wasn't bothered so much by the iPod ads, and I'm VERY much against corporate sponsorship and songs being used in commercials. But because it was for a music delivery system, it didn't seem any different to me than an music retailer's ad for the album. And it seemed very fresh, very original at the time.

This time around, Apple doesn't have anything new to promote, and U2 probably doesn't want to make yet another iPod ad. It's played out (or Coldplayed out, if you will).

i like the song. everyone sounds amazed by the album. everyone.

but i do smell a broad U2 backlash like in 1988 and 1997.

hopefully a series of rave record reviews will nip it in the bud.

You know I really do think you're on to something there....it's as almost as if there are radio people (station music directors etc.) that might want to see
U2 fail....humble them again..........I also think there is specifically a Bono backlash a kind of "let's humble this egomaniac..bring him back down to earth"

Time will tell

I will say that U2 will give Coldplay a run for their money in sales no matter if people here think it will be considered a failure or not. When looking at things as a flop or not a flop you must consider the current market and not past markets beause they are 2 totally different things. A 7 million selling record in todays climate would be pretty damn good for any band including U2. If they do better then that all the better but I didnt expect this album to sell more then the previous 2 and really dont care if it does...if it has better material on it I dont care if the next door neighbor didnt buy it or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom