Get On Your Boots tanking on itunes?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we just wait until the album comes out before we doom it? It's like there are some people that are just dying for this album to fail before they've even heard it.

I don't know how educated you are, but it is known that the US and Canadian governments are attempting to spend their way (and get us to do the same) out of the recession. Saving money (and incentives to save) has proven to be a major failure in Japan. But this isn't an economics site.

A U2 arena tour in NA will still exceed the demand regardless. The only real question is: how many stops in Chicago, New York City, and LA. Dealing in 20,000 seats is not the same as dealing in 60,000 seats.

That said, I seriously doubt that U2 were/are even giving it any thought to seriously tour NA via stadiums. Given the sound/direction that Boots seems to be going, a "new" U2 is taking shape and the general audience that craves "classic coke" U2 (ie. Beautiful Day) is without a doubt, going to be a little hesitant to jump on this. I don't think this is rocket science.

As for me, I still have to drive 3 hours. Vancouver is my stop.

I live in the US so I'm well aware of the measures to help the economy recover. The stimulus will not fix the economy overnight. Anyway, I'm certain they'll sell out major metropolitan areas with ease. It's the Toledos and the Cleves and the St.Louis's that fans should worry about.

Most people in America have terrible taste in music; that's why U2's material doesn't do as well on the charts here as it does practically everywhere else.

I live in the US so I'm well aware of the measures to help the economy recover. The stimulus will not fix the economy overnight. Anyway, I'm certain they'll sell out major metropolitan areas with ease. It's the Toledos and the Cleves and the St.Louis's that fans should worry about.

I agree. I think this is a concern for those areas regardless. Here in Canada, Elevation stopped in Calgary twice before going to Vancouver once. Vertigo skipped Alberta altogether and stopped in Vancouver twice. I am curious to see how it'll be for western Canada this time around.

Boots is bad. Sorry.
I've gone to over 25 shows. I've flown all over to see opening and closing nights. I've sat in on setlist parties.
I have thousands of U2 songs in my iTunes library.
This song just doesn't do it for me.
I still believe the album is going to blow me away but I don't think this was a good choice for a single and I don't think it's going to set the tone of the album.

And, forgive me if i am mistaken, but IF the 2 version of the song where combined, would that gotten this into the top 10?

Forgive my ignorance but why is there 2 versions? What's the difference?

One was from the delux version and one from the standard i belive,

but if the sales of the 2 versions where combined, then am pretty sure they would have had a top 10.

One was from the delux version and one from the standard i belive,

but if the sales of the 2 versions where combined, then am pretty sure they would have had a top 10.

at the highest point, I think it was 13/35. So Id have to think that would have been top 10, yes.

And sold 6 million in the ROW at a minimum, which actually is pretty decent, all POP flopping in the US shows is that generally if the music isnt of a "conventional" nature of pop or rock it wont sell down there.

:up:

Thats another reason I am happy that U2 put this song out first, they probably didnt have their moneybags manager telling them to put it out because this will make us the most money.

listen, as much as I enjoy all the McGuine$$ jokes :|
...I actualy really, really hope GOYB is the most pop-ish, radio friendly song on th album, it would make the album just :drool:

yes, but on the strength (or lack, thereof) of the leadoff single, the new album is so far looking like it's headed toward a POP-like disappointment.

you are forgetting one thing. This is U2. This is not some band releasing their 3rd or 4th or even 5th album. This is U2. Their name alone is enough for the album to sell 4 or 5mln copies. Look at U2"18Singles", that album sold like 4,5mln copies and it's total crap (not to mention a 3rd best of in just 8 years)

POP went #1 in its first week and dropped precipitously thereafter, selling a little more than 1million copies in the US total. Don't harp on presales.

First, an ever so slight correction. Per SoundScan sales, "Pop" sold about 1.5 million copies in the U.S. So more than Platinum, but not quite enough for Double Platinum certification.

To add to your post, though, I'd like to point out that "Discoteque" was a Top 10 hit for U2. It debuted at #10 in fact! So with a debut that powerful, "Pop" should have been a monster hit, right? And then "Starting at the Sun" peaked around #24, where it lingered for a month before falling. So two big Top 40 songs should have meant a glorious run for "Pop", no?

But instead, the album debuted well, then fell fast - the fastest any U2 album had in the SoundScan era.

Strong sales on iTunes for a song or even a Top 10 hit doesn't guarantee big album sales. ATYCLB never even hit #1 in the U.S. (peaked at #3), yet sold 4.2M copies in the U.S.! And neither ATYCLB or HTDAAB produced a Top 20 hit in the U.S, yet they sold a combined 7.3M copies! "Zooropa's" lead single was video only. And it didn't have a Top 100 hit until "Stay" which came out months after the album and only peaked in the 60's. U2 did not support the album with a tour. Yet, "Zooropa" was the only album to spend more than one week at #1 in the U.S. in the SoundScan era and it was certified as Double Platinum.

Bottom line, a big hit song doesn't necessarily mean a big hit album. But moderate single success combined with a great tour, can mean huge album sales. While U2 have had their share of hits, they've often come across as more of an album band.

So the song that U2 released pretty much to everyone for free on the mothersite is flopping on iTunes? Would like to see the numbers again when the minted version becomes available.

Oh, and I'm sure the fact that you mise the track for free with the pre-order is hindering "single sales"

And another thing, if Pop was retuned and Last Night on Earth was the lead track, the album would sale in the US. It's still better than most alternative or rock available. It blows the new Killers record out of the water.

And I like the new Killers record.

Mods, I'm going to have to ask with great disgust in my typing fingers why this sort of post hasn't been chastised. This is unnaceptable language, in a public, moderated forum, and all the more so in light of people regularly being scolded for saying things like, "You sound so stupid!" to other posters. Why is it okay to make homophobic remarks but not okay to have petty back-and-forths? I don't know if laurent37 actually is homophobic, but I know that A) I'm not anti-Semitic, and B) if I nevertheless started a thread, or started to post in another thread, casually promoting anti-Semitism, it wouldn't last a second. I'm far more offended by this than I've been by U2popmofo calling me a douchebag, or whatever, from time to time. Priorities, anybody...?

I don't really think I did but If I offended any gay people on this forum I apologize. That was certainly not my intention.

Boots is bad. Sorry.
I've gone to over 25 shows. I've flown all over to see opening and closing nights. I've sat in on setlist parties.
I have thousands of U2 songs in my iTunes library.
This song just doesn't do it for me.
I still believe the album is going to blow me away but I don't think this was a good choice for a single and I don't think it's going to set the tone of the album.

I am so tired of people who don't like the song explaining how big of a fan they are. We don't care, we are all big fans. Like the song or don't like, stop trying to convince others by reasoning that you have the ability to know best.

Mods, I'm going to have to ask with great disgust in my typing fingers why this sort of post hasn't been chastised. This is unnaceptable language, in a public, moderated forum, and all the more so in light of people regularly being scolded for saying things like, "You sound so stupid!" to other posters. Why is it okay to make homophobic remarks but not okay to have petty back-and-forths? I don't know if laurent37 actually is homophobic, but I know that A) I'm not anti-Semitic, and B) if I nevertheless started a thread, or started to post in another thread, casually promoting anti-Semitism, it wouldn't last a second. I'm far more offended by this than I've been by U2popmofo calling me a douchebag, or whatever, from time to time. Priorities, anybody...?

Congrats to bram and Aygo for saying what should've been said by the powers that be. Kudos to the both of you.

If you have issues with a post PLEASE REPORT IT. There is a report button on every single persons post that goes straight to the moderators. As much as we try to read every single post here, its sometimes impossible to keep up with everything.

So the song that U2 released pretty much to everyone for free on the mothersite is flopping on iTunes? Would like to see the numbers again when the minted version becomes available.

Oh, and I'm sure the fact that you mise the track for free with the pre-order is hindering "single sales"

And another thing, if Pop was retuned and Last Night on Earth was the lead track, the album would sale in the US. It's still better than most alternative or rock available. It blows the new Killers record out of the water.

And I like the new Killers record.

Good points - casual fans and bigger fans can hear the song on U2.com. Why pay for something that one can hear for free? Plus, if one wants an mp3 of it, there's tons of software to convert any sound on the web into one. U2 gave this song away as a gift, yet people are still complaining? :scratch:

As for "Pop", I've always felt that had "Staring at the Sun" been the lead single, it would have helped the album more. If "Discotheque" hit the Top 10 based on the "new U2" aspect, surely "Sun" would have too. But being more radio-friendly and not as throwaway, it would have lingered on the charts longer and in turn helped the album. "Discotheque" probably would have made a great second or even third single - especially with that fun video. By the third single, U2 could have gotten away with it. But in the first single, given U2's reputation, it hurt the band. Fall Out Boy can make funny videos. U2 can, but only if they show people their more sincere side first. Hence why "Staring" and the accompanying video would have worked best first, then followed maybe by "Last Night..." then "Discotheque".

But we speak in hindsight. At the time, I'm sure it seemed a good idea. And nearly 12 years later, people feel "Discotheque" was a great song and a good lead song (based on other threads here). Maybe in 10 years, people will love GOYB too. The ultimate in a "slow growing" song. :sexywink:

you are forgetting one thing. This is U2. This is not some band releasing their 3rd or 4th or even 5th album. This is U2. Their name alone is enough for the album to sell 4 or 5mln copies. Look at U2"18Singles", that album sold like 4,5mln copies and it's total crap (not to mention a 3rd best of in just 8 years)

the U2 name didn't save POP, their ninth album. no matter what worldwide sales were, this album is generally regarded as a commercial flop for U2, considering the cost of promotion and touring. they admitted to barely breaking even, and that album's failure was the single most important factor in their decision to strip down their sound for the new millenium.

best of's are always gonna sell if it contains a collection of megahits as big as U2's.

hang on- the album is still 6 weeks away, the single has only just been aired on radio- it's a wee bit early to call it a flop don't you think??

and as someone else said there is a music industry outside of the US- perhaps if it fares less well in the US they'll spend less time touring there (for a change)

I am so tired of people who don't like the song explaining how big of a fan they are. We don't care, we are all big fans. Like the song or don't like, stop trying to convince others by reasoning that you have the ability to know best.

qtf! :up:

I've been a fan since 1983 and have me a nice U2 collection as well as seen many shows. And I LIKE GOYB quite a bit, far more than some of U2's other "classics" or "big hits". Hence why music is subjective. Some people here hate "Vertigo" despite the fact that it's a very catchy song and a great lead single. Die-hards and music fans in general are torn on U2 - always have been. Yet, I'm always amazed that U2 still is wildly popular despite their very divisive nature.

Good points - casual fans and bigger fans can hear the song on U2.com. Why pay for something that one can hear for free? Plus, if one wants an mp3 of it, there's tons of software to convert any sound on the web into one. U2 gave this song away as a gift, yet people are still complaining? :scratch:

That practically applies to every musician out there. You can listen to a Coldplay stream for free on myspace or wherever, yet people still choose to pay to download the Viva La Vida track 7 or 8 months after its May 2008 release. It's sitting pretty at #29 on the itunes chart, while U2's brand new song has slid to #46. Maybe the free track with pre-order depressed the sales somewhat, but the steep decline is a trend you cannot dismiss.

That practically applies to every musician out there. You can listen to a Coldplay stream for free on myspace or wherever, yet people still choose to pay to download the Viva La Vida track 7 or 8 months after its May 2008 release. It's sitting pretty at #29 on the itunes chart, while U2's brand new song has slid to #46. Maybe the free track with pre-order depressed the sales somewhat, but the steep decline is a trend you cannot dismiss.

Why havent you mentioned the fact that if both singles where combined it would of gotten a top 10 spot?, oh i see you would rather focus on the negatives all the time?

He doesnt like the song so the fact that its "flopping" on Itunes makes him feel good.

I too think "Get on Your Boots" sucks hard, but, you can't compare it to Kelly Clarkson's new song debuting at #1. Alot more people are going to buy U2's album...so, they are waiting for the album to come out instead of buying just the single. Kelly Clarkson is pure Top 40 pop...so while her song is reaching greater #'s on the radio and on the itunes singles charts, she has less hardcore fans waiting for her album...and more people inclined to just the purchase the single because they don't want the whole album.

hang on- the album is still 6 weeks away, the single has only just been aired on radio- it's a wee bit early to call it a flop don't you think??

and as someone else said there is a music industry outside of the US- perhaps if it fares less well in the US they'll spend less time touring there (for a change)

Perez Hilton is a moron...as you said the song was barely out for 3 days and already he said it was "tanking" on I-tunes...as you were saying,it's so very early...besides if Perez Hilton doesn't like something chances are I do:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom