Get On Your Boots tanking on itunes?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
who cares?

If U2 releases a tricky, innovative and fresh album, and it doesn't sell, do you all really give a shit? excuse my language, but it doesn't impact your pocket, and frankly I'd rather the band try and compete for my brain than my pocket.

On the US iTunes chart right now, for albums, we've got Bon Iver's Blood Bank, Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion, and Andrew Bird's Noble Beast ahead of U2's album pre-sale amounts. And that frankly seems right - those three artists have filled a whole in my life, along with Radiohead, Burial, etc, that formed when U2 started retreading the same ground again.

U2 should not be competing with Lady GaGa, the fray, pussycat dolls, jason mraz, or kelly clarkson. Leave that to the sugar-y single hitmaker machines. I want U2 to go that extra step and release something with some depth, something I could track after Merriweather Post Pavilion or Kid A or Cast of Thousands or Burial's Untrue, and not feel embarassed about it.

This is the band that released POP, that did that ginormo tour and finished it, even though criticism was hailing down on all sides. GOYB isn't catchy enough to dethrone Jason Mraz? THANK GOD.

Belgium: 11 - 10 - 5
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34 - 3/59
France: 1 - 1 - 1
Japan: 25 - 19 - 21
Luxembourg: 13 - 8 - 16
New Zealand: 1 - 1 - 2
Norway: 9 - 3 - 3
Portugal: 1 - 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1 - 2
USA: 16/37 - 22/55 - 37/85

There's Boots chart run on iTunes around the world
It's been dropping fast in the US

Unpopular U2 might weaken the demand for tickets in the U.S.

I say tank away! :wink:

The fact of the matter is that it is tanking on I-tunes.

Rather than shoot the messenger (Perez Hilton), perhaps people should explore why the song is looks like it is going to be a commercial flop.

I'm befuddled and a little angry that my favorite band put out such a tuneless, hookless, inaccessible piece of music out as a leadoff single.

My questions would be:

Did the band expect it to be well received commercially?

Or did the band do it just because they can - to knock the public off balance?

Did they put this song out to fight the notion that they are an "adult contemporary" band, over the hill, yesterday's news?

I think they must have known it was not a viable commercial single.

Its possible they don't want to blow their load with the first single. This is the 6th track on the album. The last 3 albums have had a #1 hit as the first track of the album, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something that is more radio friendly in the first half of the album.

That's what happens when you release a grower as your lead single. :shrug:

It's more of a sign of music fans than it is of U2.

People need to release that US is not the whole market here! Boots will easily go to No1 all over Europe and Rest of the World!

The US market is poor to judge how good songs/albums are as the US listen to so much crap its unbelieveable!

To get a proper idea on if a song or album is any good you need to look at the Europe market espically the UK one

People need to release that US is not the whole market here! Boots will easily go to No1 all over Europe and Rest of the World!

The US market is poor to judge how good songs/albums are as the US listen to so much crap its unbelieveable!

To get a proper idea on if a song or album is any good you need to look at the Europe market espically the UK one

I can smell the arrogance and self importance from across the Atlantic.

Maybe things will start to work when the clip gets released...

Btw, why the f**k this clip wasn't released yet??? Is it like Vertigo with a lot of CGI perhaps?? :hmm:

Why does what it matter how it doing in the US on iTunes? I would like for U2 to be #1, but I'd like for them to be #1 making good/great music, not just music that would hit #1 for the sake of it. Boots is a good/great song. The USA doesn't care too much for it, big surprise. Moving on now.

The video does carry with it a chance of redemption, I think...

but at this point, this single isn't going to sell the album. I think they need another before March 3, but I could be wrong.

Man, I'm getting tired of all this whining. Can't we just close the whole album forum und re-open it when the album is released?

Hm, another idea: I may take a few days/weeks off – until the album is out.:hmm: On the other hand, there are also other people here around, so please stay ...:up:

I say tank away! :up:

NA arena tour. :drool:

:wink:

Don't you realize that if tickets don't sell, shows being canceled is a likely scenario? I doubt the whole US leg would be scrapped even if NLOTH tanks badly here, but you might find yourself driving a couple of hundred miles just to see them. In the current economic climate, U2 better have the goods because people will just as soon save their money for more important things, like paying their mortgage that they fell 2 months behind on.

I say tank away! :up:

NA arena tour. :drool:

:wink:

:yes:

I don't claim to know a lot about how the music industry works but it seems to me, the only reason to care about how well this (or any other U2) song does in the charts is that if an album is more commercially successful, there will be more tour dates in larger venues. If an album is "tanking" the promoters aren't going to book 100's of dates in stadiums.

Arenas FTW!

And the fact that people listen to people like Perez Hilton (or Paris Hilton for that matter) makes me very very sad.

i still cant belive that after ONE week of the single being out, people are now talking about the album flopping?, the album is number 3 on amazon.com chart with pre-orders only.

and Itunes is the only store that matters?

I personally have never bought a track off Itunes and I never will.

They are all compressed to shit. Wait till the album comes out before calling anything a commercial flop, U2 has never been a singles band in their history and it certainly isnt going to change now.

I didnt expect this song to do great in the US because any level of expirimentation and you are asking for trouble there at least on the commercial side of things.

Let be what is going to be cant change anything that has happened. However if U2 do play stadiums in the US in the majority of markets there shouldnt be many problems getting good tickets for the people here, which is good news for the true US hardcore fans :)

Yeah, and who knows how many people are having the problems I have. I was able to buy the single, but have been unable to preorder the album. Itunes has been working on it all week. :|

Perez Hilton is so gay it is not funny anymore. And I live in Amsterdam so I really don't have a problem with gay people. Hé, I even have gay friends (no, I don't but that is the poltically correct thing to say, isn't it). He is not man, not a woman but a little troll that looks like he has been run over by a bus a couple of times. God, I just don't like the little fucker:mad:.

Mods, I'm going to have to ask with great disgust in my typing fingers why this sort of post hasn't been chastised. This is unnaceptable language, in a public, moderated forum, and all the more so in light of people regularly being scolded for saying things like, "You sound so stupid!" to other posters. Why is it okay to make homophobic remarks but not okay to have petty back-and-forths? I don't know if laurent37 actually is homophobic, but I know that A) I'm not anti-Semitic, and B) if I nevertheless started a thread, or started to post in another thread, casually promoting anti-Semitism, it wouldn't last a second. I'm far more offended by this than I've been by U2popmofo calling me a douchebag, or whatever, from time to time. Priorities, anybody...?

Congrats to bram and Aygo for saying what should've been said by the powers that be. Kudos to the both of you.

i still cant belive that after ONE week of the single being out, people are now talking about the album flopping?, the album is number 3 on amazon.com chart with pre-orders only.

POP went #1 in its first week and dropped precipitously thereafter, selling a little more than 1million copies in the US total. Don't harp on presales.

Don't you realize that if tickets don't sell, shows being canceled is a likely scenario? I doubt the whole US leg would be scrapped even if NLOTH tanks badly here, but you might find yourself driving a couple of hundred miles just to see them. In the current economic climate, U2 better have the goods because people will just as soon save their money for more important things, like paying their mortgage that they fell 2 months behind on.

I don't know how educated you are, but it is known that the US and Canadian governments are attempting to spend their way (and get us to do the same) out of the recession. Saving money (and incentives to save) has proven to be a major failure in Japan. But this isn't an economics site.

A U2 arena tour in NA will still exceed the demand regardless. The only real question is: how many stops in Chicago, New York City, and LA. Dealing in 20,000 seats is not the same as dealing in 60,000 seats.

That said, I seriously doubt that U2 were/are even giving it any thought to seriously tour NA via stadiums. Given the sound/direction that Boots seems to be going, a "new" U2 is taking shape and the general audience that craves "classic coke" U2 (ie. Beautiful Day) is without a doubt, going to be a little hesitant to jump on this. I don't think this is rocket science.

As for me, I still have to drive 3 hours. Vancouver is my stop.

it's not a great song... that's it.

when you have so much time between releases, people get really excited and hyped up and pumped about your new song and it comes out and everyone gives out a big "huh?" it's usually not a good thing.

yes, everyone wants to draw comparisons to The Fly... but The Fly was a departure from sound.. it still had, ya know, proper song structure... an intro, a verse, a chorus, a verse, a chorus, a bridge, a verse, an ending.

this song is strange and trippy and yes, there's a ton going on, but that's not neccesarily a good thing... some will like it, some will hate it. it's grown on me a lot... but i still won't go any higher than a 7 out of 10 on it... and that's being generous.

obviously we're on a u2 fan site and there's going to be those who just go "omgz i can't believe people don't like it it's awwwwwwesome you must not be a u2z fan!!" and that's fine... but the song is one that you need to get into, you can't just hear it once and say "yea, that rules!" with today's music scene, with no real radio other than sattelite, and no real MTV to show videos... who has time for a grower anymore?

i still say that the style of the song bodes well for the album it's self... but as far as a big smash hit single, get on your boots has no chance in hell of being that. and maybe that's the plan, and there's something on the album that will be just that... but, yea... i dunno. we shall see, won't we?

oh... and for those who think less sales will mean arenas instead of stadiums, i don't think so... it'll probably mean a shorter tour with stadiums that they can just play one or two shows in the huge markets, skip the smaller markets all together, and move along to europe.

POP went #1 in its first week and dropped precipitously thereafter, selling a little more than 1million copies in the US total. Don't harp on presales.

And sold 6 million in the ROW at a minimum, which actually is pretty decent, all POP flopping in the US shows is that generally if the music isnt of a "conventional" nature of pop or rock it wont sell down there.

Thats another reason I am happy that U2 put this song out first, they probably didnt have their moneybags manager telling them to put it out because this will make us the most money.

This is the first single since Discotheque that has really been a challenge to people that says "here it is take it or leave it".

I personally am glad U2 decided to give people a kick in the ass with this track....I didnt want to hear another ATYCLB or Bomb even though to me these were very solid albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom