Gavin Friday talks new U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People get too wrapped up in wanting another Achtung Baby. It's not realistic. I just want inspired, solid songs with some depth. Something U2 hasn't produced since Beautiful Day.

...and most of ATYCLB and NLTOH. There is usually depth there, and the songs are solid for the most part. The arrangements aren't very imaginative, though. Even Beautiful Day has a pretty basic, Pixies quiet/loud dynamic. They haven't had interesting arrangements since Pop.

arrangement has to do with how the band chooses to structure and present (play) the song.. think of the Beatles' She Loves You. it jumps straight into the chorus, instead of starting with the verse, which would be the more traditional arrangement. I believe this was done at George Martin's suggestion... the result is a small tweak to the arrangement that lends real momentum to the song. :nerd:

I'd argue U2 is now more adventurous with how they're arranging songs. of course whether or not these arrangements are interesting is a matter of debate..

Much as I think it's a non-song and doesn't really belong on the album, Fez Being Born certainly is one of the more interesting arrangements of the last period, it has at least that going for it.

I'd call New York, Love & Peace, A Man and A Woman, Xanax/Fast Cars, also fairly interesting. As mentioned, Unknown Caller also. Boots is fairly straight ahead imo, pretty typical.

Much as I think it's a non-song and doesn't really belong on the album, Fez Being Born certainly is one of the more interesting arrangements of the last period, it has at least that going for it.

I'd call New York, Love & Peace, A Man and A Woman, Xanax/Fast Cars, also fairly interesting. As mentioned, Unknown Caller also. Boots is fairly straight ahead imo, pretty typical.

:up:

RE Boots, I like the way the vocals are arranged.. the cyclical backing part that Edge sings is great. Interesting, even!

Nah he's too busy partying with Liam Gallagher.

tumblr_m9wt163RhF1rn05kho1_500.jpg

Define "interesting arrangement".

New and unpredictable elements being introduced throughout the song, be they sounds, counter melodies, and so on. Depeche Mode's peak years are great example of how arrangements can take a very good song and make it magical.

Musically, U2 have become pretty predictable. They've written better songs than Discotheque, but the arrangement carries it.

The arrangements on Boy are just guitar - the bass and drums don't do a hell of a lot - but there's a lot going on, and Edge doesn't repeat himself all that much. For example, Twilight.

Now, I can't wait to get attacked for this vicious attack. But maybe I'll clarify: I'm not saying they have no good arrangements since 1997.

Seems to me most of U2's songs have had the same basic arrangement since, oh I dunno, Boy.

So the arrangements on Zooropa are the same as Boy? I really don't see how that follows. I mean, Boy is just bass-drums-guitar-vocal, and Zooropa has all of that plus a whole lot other elements. There is much more going on with Zooropa than Boy. To me, it is a lot more interesting to listen to.

New and unpredictable elements being introduced throughout the song, be they sounds, counter melodies, and so on. Depeche Mode's peak years are great example of how arrangements can take a very good song and make it magical.

Musically, U2 have become pretty predictable. They've written better songs than Discotheque, but the arrangement carries it.

The arrangements on Boy are just guitar - the bass and drums don't do a hell of a lot - but there's a lot going on, and Edge doesn't repeat himself all that much. For example, Twilight.

Now, I can't wait to get attacked for this vicious attack. But maybe I'll clarify: I'm not saying they have no good arrangements since 1997.

The majority will use structure and arrangement simultaneously, which is what Headache was referring to. Outside a few exceptions U2 has always used fairly pop structures of verse chorus verse chorus bridge etc. even on Pop.

Well if they're happy and together in that photo that would mean Liam had enough time to hurt Bono if he wanted but he didn't so he probably doesn't.

Pretty much most of Liam Gallagher says is an act to a get a rise out of people.

The majority will use structure and arrangement simultaneously, which is what Headache was referring to. Outside a few exceptions U2 has always used fairly pop structures of verse chorus verse chorus bridge etc. even on Pop.

That's what I was wondering about that. Is it just "Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Middle 8-Final Verse & Chorus" arrangements they were referring to, or other things like musical instrumentation coming into play?

I might not like all of it, but I do think that the band have experimented a bit with song structure in the years since Pop. Maybe not on every song, but it's not always typical every time either.

Do you mean that most people conflate structure and arrangement? That makes it pretty difficult to have a discussion, doesn't it?

That's what I was wondering about that. Is it just "Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Middle 8-Final Verse & Chorus" arrangements they were referring to, or other things like musical instrumentation coming into play?

I might not like all of it, but I do think that the band have experimented a bit with song structure in the years since Pop. Maybe not on every song, but it's not always typical every time either.

Totally, the structures are occasionally pretty inventive and unpredictable. The writing is still quite strong. The execution - the arrangements - often fail to do them justice (if Edge was here I'd be looking at him).

I hope Danger Mouse searched Edge for slides before every session, and does surprise raids, like in the Tour de France.

Totally, the structures are occasionally pretty inventive and unpredictable. The writing is still quite strong. The execution - the arrangements - often fail to do them justice (if Edge was here I'd be looking at him).

I hope Danger Mouse searched Edge for slides before every session, and does surprise raids, like in the Tour de France.

: pause hiatus :

:applaud:

:resume hiatus: :wave: y'all!

With a pool of talent as diverse and full of potential as U2, Danger Mouse will create something exciting, cinematic and dripping with atmosphere.

Then U2 will delay it a year and strip it down to a safe stadium rock record with no balls.

Back
Top Bottom